Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-23-2011, 09:53 AM   #21
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by LonnieB

Quote:
quote:By PSFORD99

No you are not missing anything here I too have always wondered the same thing. My 3400 RL is 15500 GVWR there is no LT I am aware of that is rated much over 3042 in our size range. Many run a underrated tire then what the OEM were , I won't.

I run the G614's my rims are rated for 110 psi . There are not many LT tires that will fit the bill for our weight of trailer, but the G614 is one of them. IMO a tire rated for less than 3500 LBS do not belong on a 15500 GVWR trailer.
LT and ST type tires are tested and rated for two completely different applications. The ST is tested and rated at a maximum speed of 65 mph. It is designed for trailer application ONLY, and is not legal on any vehicle carrying human passengers. The LT is tested and rated at a maximum speed of 112 mph. It is designed for MULTIPLE uses, not excluding trailers, and is certified safe to carry human passengers. IMHO, if the LT only had to meet the specs of the ST, the LT would have a maximum load capacity equal to, or greater than the ST.

I'm not trying to tell anyone what they should do, I'm just saying you can't compare apples to oranges and expect identical outcomes.
I want 3500 lb rating or more on my fifth wheel tires ,it appears that the op has that same desire, the reason for my post. Correct me if I am wrong , but there is not an E rated LT tire in size 235/85/16 that is rated much over 3042.

It was not a matter of comparing the two different types of tires, but remaining with a quality tire that meets the weight rating that is required or wanted.

PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 12:04 PM   #22
kramperD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8078
Yep......same as PSFORD99 said!
Old 05-23-2011, 12:05 PM   #23
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Quote:

I want 3500 lb rating or more on my fifth wheel tires ,it appears that the op has that same desire, the reason for my post. Correct me if I am wrong , but there is not an E rated LT tire in size 235/85/16 that is rated much over 3042.

It was not a matter of comparing the two different types of tires, but remaining with a quality tire that meets the weight rating that is required or wanted.
Evidently I offended you, and for that I apologize, I assure you it was not my intention. Yes, you are correct in saying the LT 10 ply is rated at 3042 pounds. The point I was trying to make is, even though the LT 10 ply is only rated at 3042 pounds, IMHO it would have a much higher load rating equal to or greater than the ST 10 ply if it only had to meet ST specs. The testing and rating specs for the LT are at much higher standards than the ST.

The OP asked if he should change to 110 psi wheels or if he could find good 80 psi tires with the wheels he now has.

Quote:
quote:By ddettorre

Also, my stamped wheels say 80 lbs max, so tell me if I should change to 110 wheels as well or I can find good 80 max tires with the wheels I now have. I love it when I get the green light from the family treasurer!
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 12:17 PM   #24
kramperD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8078
Lonnie - so sorry if you felt offended from something I said. Please accept my apologies. D
Old 05-23-2011, 12:40 PM   #25
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
No sir, I took no offense from anyone. I felt like I had done the offending.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 01:03 PM   #26
kramperD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8078
And no sir to you also, not to me......thanks for the response.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:24 PM   #27
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:

Quote:

Evidently I offended you, and for that I apologize, I assure you it was not my intention. Yes, you are correct in saying the LT 10 ply is rated at 3042 pounds. The point I was trying to make is, even though the LT 10 ply is only rated at 3042 pounds, IMHO it would have a much higher load rating equal to or greater than the ST 10 ply if it only had to meet ST specs. The testing and rating specs for the LT are at much higher standards than the ST.

The OP asked if he should change to 110 psi wheels or if he could find good 80 psi tires with the wheels he now has.

Quote:

Also, my stamped wheels say 80 lbs max, so tell me if I should change to 110 wheels as well or I can find good 80 max tires with the wheels I now have. I love it when I get the green light from the family treasurer!

Not offended at all, no need to apologize.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:43 PM   #28
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Not offended at all, no need to apologize.