Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-18-2010, 04:04 AM   #21
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tom S.

Oh, and let me add one other thought: If these warranties paid out often, how long do you think they would still be offered?
On the other hand, if YOU had to pay for all of the repair work on a "lemon" diesel, how long do you think your bank account would last! In a related issue, there has been a number of articles in the Good Sam Magazine about some warranty companies going under...that is what happens when they have to pay out a lot.

CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 06:22 AM   #22
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tom S.

Oh, and let me add one other thought: If these warranties paid out often, how long do you think they would still be offered?
In fact "excessive" warranty claims on the 6.0L diesel are what caused the big brouhaha between Ford and Navistar resulting in Ford now building their own engine. Fortunately Ford had the resources to muddle through. But the result is the much less liberal warranty policy you experience today. If you own a 6.0L Ford diesel then you should have an extended warranty. It is not a question of if it will fail, but when. My 2004 engine was $13,500 in a crate or $16,000+ in parts. That was the last straw after egr, turbo, and cam failures.

My 2008 has been just fine except for one radiator replacement. But radiators on the 2008 are problematical. That is why I have a warranty on this one. If I had a Dodge or Chevy, I probably wouldn't get the extended warranty.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 06:38 AM   #23
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Up to this truck we have never had a car or truck outside of the original warranty period. We have leased our cars since 1995 and always get a new lease before the warranty runs out.. This will be our last TV so the ESP made sense. As for the 3400. We all complain about the quality of these Rv's and how poorly they are constructed. we have had 4 previous rv's used lightly and never had a major expense dues to a faiure and never had a extended warranty.

If I were a casual user I would have to think about the Extended warranty but we use this 3400 hard and using it hard the Extended warranty has paid off for us. This unit is also far more complicated than our previous Rv's. There are a lot of things to consider.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 01:53 PM   #24
tbhd2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5709
Do you have collision coverage on your auto insurance? Chances are you will never need it but if you do are you able to cover the cost of repairing or replacing your vehicle?
tbhd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 11:37 PM   #25
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by tbhd2

Do you have collision coverage on your auto insurance? Chances are you will never need it but if you do are you able to cover the cost of repairing or replacing your vehicle?
Apples and oranges. On lesser value cars, or ones that were paid off, I have often dropped the collision coverage. Unfortuately, living in a "No Fault" state, if someone else runs into you and you don't have insurance, you are stuck with the bill, even though it's their fault. Additionally, if you finance a car, you MUST carry the coverage.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 03:31 AM   #26
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by tbhd2

Sounds like a good comparison....
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 03:51 AM   #27
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Also, the ability to pay sometimes varies with the time of year, your unexpected expenses, your health, one of the kids getting thrown in jail... oh, that was under the unexpected expenses..
My point is, that if you are able to purchase a policy when all is well, that takes the unexpected out of the equation.
One never knows what is over that hill.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote