Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-10-2010, 12:38 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quite a difference in tail lights

I was behind a rental truck, it had one LED and one stock tail light, I snapped a picture of it to show the difference. The picture doesn't show up that good but you can still see what a difference. I like the brighter lights. Has anyone done the Monte tail lights with LED?

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 12:49 AM   #2
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
I've been considering changing to LED's too but just haven't gotten to it yet.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 01:05 AM   #3
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
When I have problems with the ones I have I will make the change. I haven't got the drive like you do Ozz..........lol

No one can ever say you don't like change!!

Have fun with your mods there guy.

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 01:11 AM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
camper4 maybe someone will lead us down that path.
Dave, I think it very well may be a sickness... and thank you for your service in the Marines, to our great country.
Old 12-10-2010, 02:39 AM   #5
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Ozz, from what I have seen, the new (?) led lights are supposed to be brighter AND last longer...of course they cost a bit more. In the end, I think I would like to do the switch...I like the idea of "lighting up like a Christmas tree" when apply the brakes, turn on the lights, or turn on the turn signals...hopefully prevent a rear end collision like one of our members had a short whilt ago. Michael
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 02:40 AM   #6
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
OK Ozz nice picture and there is quite a differance in lumis.
The only problem that some of us have is like my Monty, it's the taillight lense (which looks like it came off a early model Chevy Suberban) Montana probably purhased from GM overstocked. finding a replacement to fit that hole could be a problem, I know that there is a plug in replacement but I dont think it will be as bright as the one manufactured as a replacement assembly as showen in your picture. it sure would be nice to see somebody that has made the conversion on the monty tail lights so we can see if the cost of the bulb is worth it.
Old 12-10-2010, 03:22 AM   #7
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
When I built the bed for the Volvo, I replaced all the lights with LED's. Very visible both day and night. I want to do the same with the Monty. In daylight I feel that the OEM lights on the Monty are not as visible as I feel that they should be. I have done a few quick searches in the past and have not be able to find replacements. Has anybody else found replacements?
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 03:37 AM   #8
Montana_10714
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10714
I was disappointed when I took delievery last week that Keystone had not upgraded the lights on the Montana to LED.
Montana_10714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 03:41 AM   #9
Slufoot733
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9928
I changed my two red stop/turn lights in the first week of ownership. I bought them at Wal-Mart for about $16 each. I think the brand is Blazer. Anyway, the lights come with a short wire harness and a plug. I had to connect three wires on each side, then plug into the light fixture. The rubber grommet goes on the light, then it pops into the 4" round hole. Done. The lights work perfectly and are visible to the rear in bright sunlight. My SOB had surface mounted rectangular tail lights and were useless on a bright day. I had a guy come up to me at a rest stop and tell me that when he was behind me, depending on how the sun was hitting the back of the trailer, that he could hardly see if my brake lights were on. The LED lights make a big difference. I may install two more in the backup lights and put two white backup lights under the rear end.

I recommend the LED tail lights.
Slufoot733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 04:15 AM   #10
tcorbitt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5799
LEDs are great and almost perfect. Bright, Long lasting and they use much less power.

There is one major problem with them, they do not heat up like traditional light bulbs. In the cold winter months, blowing snow will accumulate and not melt off. A lot of towns in our neck of the woods started changing Traffic lights to LED. Blowing snow sticks to them and will not melt off rendering the lights useless. Small heaters have been installed to defrost the lights, decreasing the energy savings benefit.

I understand vehicle manufacturers are struggling with this same problem. Making sure when LEDs are used that the lights will not blocked with snow and ice without the benefit heat to melt them clear. Just something to consider if you happen to live/travel in the cold.

Tim
tcorbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 05:19 AM   #11
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
One idea would be to mount a set of running, turn signal and stop lights next to the originals, maybe round LED, that way you would have the brightness and if snow curls up, the originals would be lit.

http://www.crofttrailer.com/site/products/109/113.html
Old 12-10-2010, 07:26 AM   #12
Sheepdog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10354
On my 2011 3150RL I replaced the two 4" round red tail lights and the two white 4" round backup lights with four 4" round red LED tail lights. I now have four bright red LED stop/tail lights and really like the way they look and perform. My LEDs are "Petersons" and have 7 LEDs per light and cost about $40 each.Don't miss the backup lights!
Sheepdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 08:10 AM   #13
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Sheepdog

On my 2011 3150RL I replaced the two 4" round red tail lights and the two white 4" round backup lights with four 4" round red LED tail lights. I now have four bright red LED stop/tail lights and really like the way they look and perform. My LEDs are "Petersons" and have 7 LEDs per light and cost about $40 each.Don't miss the backup lights!
Chuck, could you post pictures?
Thanks, Ozz
Old 12-10-2010, 08:39 AM   #14
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Interesting, I was just looking at some 4 inch round LED lites at Tractor Supply and thinking of upgrading the Monty. I would have to buy a couple and see if they would fit, more lites on the back are always a good thing.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:17 AM   #15
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Michelle, your kitty Avatar reminded me of my little Sparky, if he was a little boy, he would be in reform school. He is the troublemaker of the family. In the mornings Sue sleeps in, I get up early. The Sparkster wants her to get up, so he puts his paw under the bedroom door and shakes it back and forth making banging noises. He also opens the bi-fold laundry doors, he looks at the door, then puts his paw under the folding door and pulls, it opens and he jumps on the dryer...the treats are on the shelf above. Ohm he opens the sliding screen door to the Hot tub room. Brat.
Back to the LED's, I wonder how a LED bulb would work??? How bright..

http://tinyurl.com/yb4hrvx

Old 12-10-2010, 10:55 AM   #16
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

Michelle, your kitty Avatar reminded me of my little Sparky, if he was a little boy, he would be in reform school. He is the troublemaker of the family. In the mornings Sue sleeps in, I get up early. The Sparkster wants her to get up, so he puts his paw under the bedroom door and shakes it back and forth making banging noises. He also opens the bi-fold laundry doors, he looks at the door, then puts his paw under the folding door and pulls, it opens and he jumps on the dryer...the treats are on the shelf above. Ohm he opens the sliding screen door to the Hot tub room. Brat.

Ozz, you want to talk about brats ....

meet Alex (AKA "King of the Road", rolling down the 101 in Northern California). This cat loves the Volvo. If you pull out his carrier he will jump in to it and start screaming. He will not stop until he is in the truck and out of his carrier. Once in the truck he is in 1 or 3 spots. The front dash as pictured. The passenger seat or in the window in the bunk. He loves the truck so much that we left Southern California, drove 12 hours to Albuquerque. He has no food, water or litter box in the truck. After setup we put him in his carrier to transfer him back to the trailer. As soon as we open the carrier he hits his litter box than food/water bowl. Then he jumps back in his carrier and starts screaming. He is ready to hit the road again. We woke up the next morning and he was in his carrier waiting for us to put him back in the truck ..... we also have his sister/litter mate. They look exactly alike. She is just 2/3 his weight.

Back to the topic on hand ... I have seen the LED bulb replacements. Has anybody tried them? Do they improve visibility? I was hoping to find a replacement for the lens too but I will switch to the LED bulbs if it has the same affect.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 11:32 AM   #17
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Ha Ha that is so cute, I just read it to my wife, she thought it was great. Hey, who says cats don't have personalities...
We have a J.R. cat that is Alex' twin.
Alex is a handsome boy.
Old 12-10-2010, 02:06 PM   #18
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Ozz, that's Teddy, official name "Stedam's United We Stand", he's a registered American Shorthair Silver Tabby. He and I spent just about every weekend in our old TT a few years ago when he was being shown as a Kitten. He was the 7th highest kitten in the Great Lakes Region that year. Then he grew up and developed an atitude and would draw blood from the Judges, doesn't do much for your show career. I've taken the back seat out of the TV and have an UltraLite cage there, that's where the kids ride when we travel, they have all the comforts of home, bed, litter, water and food.
Anyway, back on topic, next time I'm at Tractor Supply I think I buy a couple of their 4 inch LED lites and see if they will fit into the Monty. I have seen the LED replacement bulbs to replace the std lites, but I doubt that they would be quite as bright as a replacement fixture, but don't know for sure.
Old 12-10-2010, 02:23 PM   #19
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Where can I find some for my old 06 I don't have the round ones I have the ones like ozz has in old yellow. I would to change mine also the LEDs look great.
bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 02:27 PM   #20
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Check this site out:
http://tinyurl.com/yb4hrvx