Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-19-2010, 01:33 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Glad I bought it

Just got my Super Duty back from the dealership, they had it for 5 days. I had a leaking radiator, (one of seven…yep, seven radiators) on the big truck. Also, the heater wasn’t working, Sue’s seat-belt was not acting right, a vibration in the front engine compartment, and a ‘clunk’ when starting up from a stop. I got the fuel filters changed, oil change and a serpentine belt and some other things done.
My bill would have been $3,500.00 plus a rental car charge if I had not purchased the Ford ESP contract, or maybe another brand of service contract. I had a 2011 Ford station wagon for a rental, (Flex). leather seats, all the bells and whistles. Very nice. I had it loaded down with tools and parts, did service calls out of it.
Anything they do as a repair is big bucks on these big trucks, I asked advice from the MOC some time back, with mixed results when deciding, some advised the Ford plan, some aftermarket plans and some thought it was a bad investment.
I just have 40K on my truck, I already got my money back, so my advice is to get the service plan, I got a zero deductible 100K.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 01:50 AM   #2
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Great news! I know some people do not believe in extended warrantees, but I would not have a vehicle without one...and I always go with the manufacturer's warrantee. This is a personal choice and I would never attempt to talk anyone into going the same route...it's a personal choice
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 02:30 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The ESP is true extended warranty. Rv contracts are service contracts..big difference. We have the same as OZZ. We do extended warranties on most everyting. Just got a new 350.00 Microwave from sears on their extended warranty.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 03:25 AM   #4
jsnip42
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #179
I was thinking about putting one on my F250 since my 100K warranty runs out in a few months. You might have just helped me with my decision. I would like a drive train only up to 200K for for the diesel engine really but the only one I saw from Ford was 7yr or 140K. Guess i'll look a little more.

Ozz, what size truck is yours? Never heard of one with that much radiater.
jsnip42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 03:42 AM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I think shop hour rate is around $85-$100 an hr. doesn't take much to run up a big bill, along with real high parts prices.
Go to your local dealer and tell them the Internet prices are ---- whatever for yours, (Look it up) he will match it or beat it. Look on The Diesel stop site for warr. pricing.
These new diesel engines have Star War type engines, can't stick your hand in anywhere, no room... Mine is a standard F-250, I imagine the 350's are identical. Two Turbo-chargers.
Old 11-19-2010, 03:55 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The main issue with these Extended warranties or Service contracts is that we do not do enough homework. We need to completely understand what we are buying. Ask questions have an attorney look it over if you do not understand. These Extended warranties from the manufacturer are exactly that and mirror the original Warranty... Make sure that they do. After market warranties are cheaper and cover less..understand that.

The contaminated fuel issue is a good example. What does that mean. I Think I know and have been told what it means but I need further clarification. Will not rest till I know exactly what that means.
Old 11-21-2010, 03:19 AM   #7
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
I have a 2006 F350 Diesel with 65K miles. My Ford dealer has an extended Diesel EngineCare Service plan for $3000 dollars--84 months or 200,000 miles. Sounds good BUT it starts from the purchase date Dec 20, 2005! So my 84 months will expire on Dec 20, 2012. That is a 24 month extension for $3000! With only 65K miles on my truck and my expected driving for the next 2 years is 15K miles per year. I will not even reach 100K miles. Yes, one failure of an injector will be about $3,000. So "pay me now or pay me later" is the issue. I have decided to "pay you later" and I will breakeven at that point. I will not have to wait to see if the "pay me now" plan does me any good. I realize that Ford make money on these plans or they would not offer them. But I also wonder why these repairs seem to have a likely hood of happening. As an engineer, I would expect better reliability for these products. Bottom line--$3000 is too much for 24 months of extended Service.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 05:24 AM   #8
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Tim, I also passed on the engine deal, but look at the ESP, it covers many things that may come up.
Right before my warr. ran out, the system failed that does the exhaust cleaning, that bill, covered by my original warr. would have cost me $3,500.00.
I am with you on the expectation of reliability, but look how complicated the trucks are now-days, also look at the service rates garages charge....
Old 11-21-2010, 05:36 AM   #9
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
I'm glad it worked out well for you. I love happy endings. I agree that if you can get a plan that mirrors the original warranty or better with a zero deductible and for a price that is reasonable to you,then by all means go for it. Me, I like to put the money I would have spent on a service plan/extended warranty aside and spend it if/when I need it. You have to do what is right for you.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

Just got my Super Duty back from the dealership, they had it for 5 days. I had a leaking radiator, (one of seven…yep, seven radiators) on the big truck. Also, the heater wasn’t working, Sue’s seat-belt was not acting right, a vibration in the front engine compartment, and a ‘clunk’ when starting up from a stop. I got the fuel filters changed, oil change and a serpentine belt and some other things done.
My bill would have been $3,500.00 plus a rental car charge if I had not purchased the Ford ESP contract, or maybe another brand of service contract. I had a 2011 Ford station wagon for a rental, (Flex). leather seats, all the bells and whistles. Very nice. I had it loaded down with tools and parts, did service calls out of it.
Anything they do as a repair is big bucks on these big trucks, I asked advice from the MOC some time back, with mixed results when deciding, some advised the Ford plan, some aftermarket plans and some thought it was a bad investment.
I just have 40K on my truck, I already got my money back, so my advice is to get the service plan, I got a zero deductible 100K.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 06:01 AM   #10
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Jay, one of the deciding factors for me is that I am working now, my income is fair, so I can afford it. Later when I hit the road, it will not be so affordable for us. When the repairs are in the thousands it is hard sometimes, for people to budget that, with so many 'hands out' for our money.
Had a tenant one time tell me; "That money comes in in spoonfuls and goes out in Bucket-fulls" Not too far off.
I respect your viewpoint on the topic, and hope it works as planned.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:31 AM   #11
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Rich, from what I have seen and read, if the contaminated fuel causes problems, you're on your on. If I have issues, I will get a fuel sample myself, just in case.....
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 07:33 AM   #12
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Wise move, Ozz. We didn't get the ESP when we bought our F-350 Super Duty in August of 2007, but we did get an aftermarket contract later. Bad move. Our radiator has a hole in it; when we got the estimate for parts and labor, we nearly passed out (although it shouldn't have been a surprise, knowing how expensive it is to work on any rig these days). Our aftermarket contract doesn't cover the radiator. Lesson learned.
Carolyn
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 07:57 AM   #13
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
OK Troops, tell me what the deal is with the radiators on the Fords? It seems there are a lot of the MOC members that have had radiator leaks or holes in the radiators over the past several months. I can't figure out what it going on here with them. What's causing all these leaks!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 08:12 AM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We got the extended service contract for the Montana almost a year ago, but not until after we really needed it. We've had no need for it since and hopefully it will stay that way.

The truck has 71,000 on it and does not have extended warranty and would not have needed it anyhow. But at 71k I suppose I should start considering getting an extended warranty on it. We're planning to keep this one for a very long time.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 11:02 AM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Will..Here is my post on the contaminated fluid issue from another thread. When you stop and think it makes sense...

"Interesting subject of warranty coverage and it is difficult to be exactly right. Had a long conversation with the Local Ford dealer this morning that turned into a round table discussion on the subject of contaminated fluids. Also got a E mail back from the service manager at our local Home Ford dealer who is a friend of mine. So here is a general wrap up.Don't have to agree with it or even like it.

mlh is correct and his referenced links state Ford policy... To be short..it is not Fords fault that you got contaminated fuel at a fuel station. Ford or any other brand does not warranty Flying J's fuel. It is the responsibility and the fault of the fuel station.

Example//you are in a accident that destroys your radiator..Ford warranty does not cover it. Not their fault. There have been many cases of putting gas into the diesel tank. That is contaminated fuel.. Ford warranty does not cover that.I remember of a case on a forum were the handle was improperly marked and gas was put into the diesel tank causing a big bill. Ford did not pay for the repair.(the station did)

The local Ford dealer said that a catastrophic failure caused by say my example of 30 gal of bad fuel on a one time basses was extremely rare and they could not remember such a case. Cases of the owner pumping gas in diesel is not rare but is unlikely to cause a catastrophic failure IF quickly addressed.

Both dealers had seen Ford refuse warranty on Contaminated fuel but in every case was the fault of the owner//IE: using improper fuel, using home blends improper maint and that is primarly what the Ford rep is looking for. Both dealers said about the same thing and if you think about it makes sense. So the Hi pressure fuel pump is covered if it is a failure of the pump itself but not if caused by a outside source such as bad fuel.

Both dealers had seen many cases of the High Pressure Fuel pump and other fuel delivery items replaced under warranty for failures/

This has caused me to re examine what I do. I do fuel at high volume stations regardless of price. I do keep receipts to track expense so I would know where I got the bad fuel. If contaminated fuel or fluids is suspected in a failure do not continue to drive it and tell the dealer to have the suspected fluid analyzed to determine the contamination and hope that you have receipt as to where you got it and notify them ASAP.

Old 11-21-2010, 11:27 AM   #16
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
You're right ... decisions, decisions. We roll the dice and hope we make the right choices. Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug! Nice truck BTW!

Quote:

Jay, one of the deciding factors for me is that I am working now, my income is fair, so I can afford it. Later when I hit the road, it will not be so affordable for us. When the repairs are in the thousands it is hard sometimes, for people to budget that, with so many 'hands out' for our money.
Had a tenant one time tell me; "That money comes in in spoonfuls and goes out in Bucket-fulls" Not too far off.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 11:52 AM   #17
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CORattler

You're right ... decisions, decisions. We roll the dice and hope we make the right choices. Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug! Nice truck BTW!

Quote:

Thanks, and thank you for your service to our country.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:18 PM   #18
Fire1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8237
Send a message via AIM to Fire1
The defrosters in the Dodge and the A/C quit blowing took it to the local dealer and first word was there is nothing wromg with it.
After a few words with the service writer we came to a great decision. They would fix the truck and my extended warantee would pay for it. They had to remove the dash and replace the lastic defroster tube and electic positioning valve hidden behind some of the dah stuff. One week work, several hundreds of dollars worth of parts and its fixed. My cost? $25.00
Was well worth the $2200 the Chrysler extended service plan cost.

Just don't ask about servicing the transmission and the TWO filters.
Fire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 01:36 AM   #19
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Warranties, Service contracts, truck, Rv as a matter of fact any insurance /protection policy that you buy. I see it as spending a affordable number of Dollars to protect against a loss that would cost a unaffordable number of dollars. Example on our present home we have spent over 20K in insurance premiums and have not had a return. However If we would loose the home and contents we could not afford the @350K to replace it. Affordable premium to protect against a unaffordable loss. Same with the RV we have both RV insurance and a extended service contract. We have received double our money back on the RV extended service contract. We complain about the poor quality on these things how can we not protect against that.

In our case we see is as positive in Cost vs benefits.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:44 AM   #20
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
It is a gamble no matter what you decide on warranties. There is no right or wrong answer. It is simply a pay me now or pay me later kind of deal.

I have opted not to purchase the extended warranties. I figure if I was to add up the cost of all the warranties vs the actual amount spend to get items fixed/replaced, that I am coming out ahead by not purchasing the warranties. Now if you ever do need the warranty, then yes you should come out ahead on that one warranty but keep in mind all the other warranties purchased that you do not collect on.

On the last 5 vehicles I have purchased new I would be behind if I had purchased the warranties. Only 1 has needed major repairs (98 Volvo S70, needed $2k in repairs with 107k miles on it at the time).
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote