Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-15-2010, 08:34 AM   #21
RCN.Stoker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9497
IIRC the G614 also is rated at 75 mph not 65mph as are most other ST tires. Also IIRC The RST stands for Regional Service Tire

RCN.Stoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 10:05 AM   #22
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
And the LT tires are rated for 99 mph. Not that you would go that fast but they are rated to go 99 mph at full 3042 pound load. The ST is rated to go 65 mph at full 3440 pound load.
I don't know what the LT's would be rated at for 65 mph but I'll take the LT's any day over the ST's.
Anyway, my two cents.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 07:58 AM   #23
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I have no firsthand knowledge of tire construction, standards, or anything else having to do with design and construction of LT and ST tires.

But I do have firsthand knowledge of problems with ST tires. I've had lots of ST tire failures over a bunch of years and miles and no significant problems with LT tires. Never again will I have ST tires on any trailer of significant size/weight. Just my opinion, of course.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 11:38 AM   #24
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by cgaskins

I posted this same question on the RV.net forums and someone pointed me at the following post which is exactly what I was looking for...

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...pging/1/page/1

Thanks for the post...the writer obviously put some time in researching and writing his input. However, in the end, I am left with the impression that LT and ST tires have different testing standards, different speed ratings, and that they have different load capacities. So, so far that leads me to believe they are different tires intended for different applications???????????????
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 12:31 AM   #25
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CamillaMichael

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by cgaskins

I posted this same question on the RV.net forums and someone pointed me at the following post which is exactly what I was looking for...

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...pging/1/page/1

Thanks for the post...the writer obviously put some time in researching and writing his input. However, in the end, I am left with the impression that LT and ST tires have different testing standards, different speed ratings, and that they have different load capacities. So, so far that leads me to believe they are different tires intended for different applications???????????????
Undoubtedly, the ST tire can be of lesser quality, thus cheaper to manufacture. I would think this is due to not being for use on a passenger carrying vehicle. I would say the "proof is in the pudding".
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 01:11 AM   #26
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
My opinion from what I have read, is IF someone made a quality ST tire, it would be a better 'fit' for trailers. It seems no one does, so the LT fits the bill.
The exception to that statement seems to be the Goodyear LT G 614 RST, and I understand that the LT does not stand for 'Light Truck', so maybe it does not qualify.
I like the fact that so many have gone with the above mentioned, and like them. I haven't read anywhere any complaints about the tire. Since I got my brand new stickers for my aluminum wheels, I am probably going with them instead of the Michelin's.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 01:49 AM   #27
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
OZZ, You won't regret the G614's except when you have to pay for them. But that will soon pass when you have piece of mind that you no longer have to be concerned about blow outs and damage to your RV which usually costs more than the tires.
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 04:47 AM   #28
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by HughM

OZZ, You won't regret the G614's except when you have to pay for them. But that will soon pass when you have piece of mind that you no longer have to be concerned about blow outs and damage to your RV which usually costs more than the tires.

I too went with the G614's as many have. I think they are our best bet for fifth wheels running 7K axles, and with 14-16K GVWR.

I have a concern, but many people seem to be having success with the E rated LT tires rated at 3042 such as the Michelin Ribs. IMHO going with a tire that has less of a weight rating then the OEM tires is not the way to go.

There is a lot of reading on RV Net about G614's and many folks over there who do not have much good to say about them, and then of course many like them. Many are going to the 17.5 I nearly did. At the time I was getting my G614's mounted ,and balanced two G614's showed up at the tire shop still mounted on the rims, they were different rims so I assume they were off two different trailers. Both were still fully inflated, but had thrown there entire tread, and did not blow out. I would have to guess that made a mess out of the trailers. It was not very heart warming to see those two tires while getting my new ones installed. Time will tell .

One thing to point out about the Goodyear tire failures, they are very good about repairing the damaged trailers, and replacing the tires. I hope I don't have to find out.
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 08:51 AM   #29
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by PSFORD99

Quote:

I too went with the G614's as many have. I think they are our best bet for fifth wheels running 7K axles, and with 14-16K GVWR.

I have a concern, but many people seem to be having success with the E rated LT tires rated at 3042 such as the Michelin Ribs. IMHO going with a tire that has less of a weight rating then the OEM tires is not the way to go.

There is a lot of reading on RV Net about G614's and many folks over there who do not have much good to say about them, and then of course many like them. Many are going to the 17.5 I nearly did. At the time I was getting my G614's mounted ,and balanced two G614's showed up at the tire shop still mounted on the rims, they were different rims so I assume they were off two different trailers. Both were still fully inflated, but had thrown there entire tread, and did not blow out. I would have to guess that made a mess out of the trailers. It was not very heart warming to see those two tires while getting my new ones installed. Time will tell .

One thing to point out about the Goodyear tire failures, they are very good about repairing the damaged trailers, and replacing the tires. I hope I don't have to find out.
Relating to "many folks over there" (referring to rvnet), not having much good to say about the G614s, until a couple of days ago I had stayed away from rvnet for a few years since all I ever read there was negative...gets old very quickly. Seemed like any time someone had something positive to say, "the gang" jumped on him with both feet...from my experience there, I decided that anything from rvnet was to be taken very lightly. On the other hand, I have found the MOC to be, on the whole, an upbeat bunch of folks who are much more reasonable...don't always agree with one another, but civil about it. That is why I am very happy to have discovered the MOC and recommend it to all.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 09:02 AM   #30
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
I don't know for sure, but I thought that I had read somewhere that the early G614 were produced at the China plant,but because of those early problems they were brought back to the US. If that was the case you would think they would do that with the Marathons, but then the Marathons are a, shall we say cheaper tire. I put 614s on my Monty even tho I'm not carring the weight of some.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:18 AM   #31
cgaskins
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10861
Quote:
quote:... Seemed like any time someone had something positive to say, "the gang" jumped on him with both feet...from my experience there, I decided that anything from rvnet was to be taken very lightly. On the other hand, I have found the MOC to be, on the whole, an upbeat bunch of folks who are much more reasonable...don't always agree with one another, but civil about it. That is why I am very happy to have discovered the MOC and recommend it to all.
I agree with 100%. Folks here here seem to be very nice and positive. I appreciate everyone's input on this topic.

Regards,
Chris
cgaskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 11:30 AM   #32
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CamillaMichael

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by PSFORD99

Quote:

Relating to "many folks over there" (referring to rvnet), not having much good to say about the G614s, until a couple of days ago I had stayed away from rvnet for a few years since all I ever read there was negative...gets old very quickly. Seemed like any time someone had something positive to say, "the gang" jumped on him with both feet...from my experience there, I decided that anything from rvnet was to be taken very lightly. On the other hand, I have found the MOC to be, on the whole, an upbeat bunch of folks who are much more reasonable...don't always agree with one another, but civil about it. That is why I am very happy to have discovered the MOC and recommend it to all.
I can only say what I read on Rv Net, there was a gentlemen on there that was always defending the G614's, and yes there was some heated battles. Well its been about a month ago here he comes, and reports a blowout on one of his G614's. To his credit he reported it, and didn't bash them. They were about 5 years old, and he was going to replace them next spring,but didn't make it. He also decided to get another set of G614's. As I said before IMHO the G614's give us the best chance of success against tire failure on our Montana Fifth Wheels. The only other choice IMO for my weight of trailer 2008 3400RL would be going to a 17.5, but hopefully the G614's will prove to be a decent tire.

I think we all need to hear the good, and the bad, especially when it comes to tires. I believe its well documented that the older G614's had there problems. The two I seen in the tire shop that failed had a build date of 2007 don't remember the week. Have no idea what caused the failures, they could of been under inflated, over loaded etc, but they failed.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:54 AM   #33
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Those of you with the heavier trailers are in a tough spot. You really only have two choices, the Chinese bombs or the G614's. I am not sure that going to the 17.5" tire is the solution unless those tire are constructed entirely different. The reason I say this is because many of the tire failures are due to tread seperation, those tight turns literally tear the tread off the casing, and unless the 17.5 is made differently the same could happen with them.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 05:07 PM   #34
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 8.1al

Those of you with the heavier trailers are in a tough spot. You really only have two choices, the Chinese bombs or the G614's. I am not sure that going to the 17.5" tire is the solution unless those tire are constructed entirely different. The reason I say this is because many of the tire failures due to tread seperation, those tight turns literally tear the tread off the casing, and unless the 17.5 is made differently the same could happen with them.
I agree, that was my concern going to a tire rated around 4800 lbs, they got to be rigid, my concern was how much flex they would have, and how hard they would be on the trailer itself. Hopefully the G614's will handle the job.
Old 11-23-2010, 02:00 AM   #35
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
The deciding factor on my selection of the 614's is displayed directly on the side of the tire itself. It plainly states "Made in U.S.A.". There was a short period (I think about 2 years) when the 614's were also made in China. I wonder if the failure rate on the 614's differ according to where they were manufactured? As to the comments about the forums, I read rv.net occassionally (primarily when the MOC slows down, which it definitely has over the last year) but have never posted there due to the aforementioned excessive "attacks" and "experts" that are prevalent there. Long live the MOC since it is my primary source for answers, responses based on my experiences, and the occasional informative posts about those who are so obviously proud of their rigs and like to relate their experiences.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 07:36 AM   #36
RidgecrestDad
Established Member

M.O.C. #8969
OK time to jump in here as well. I need to replace my original ST 235/80/16 Freestar steel belted radial tires on our 2007 3075 Monty. Currently they are load range E (LRE). I had 16 inch aluminum rims delivered with the 5er that are rated at 3750# at 110psi, well above the LRE rating, but the spare tire rim is a steel rim with less capacity. Why is the spare rim important? I do not want to have different tires and load capacity should I have to use the spare.
I, like many, am struggling with brand and load rating, and number of replacement tires. As the posts seem to favor (based on good reason and experience) many different selections for tire type and brand, I started exploring a bit on my own to see if I could make a rational argument for myself. I found a nice gouge sheet called Trailer Tires 101 on the Carlisle site (http://www.carlisletire.com/product_..._tires_101.pdf) that talks about ST and LT tires, and design criteria in general. I find it most enlightening and offer it up to the forum. After reading it and many posts, and talking to the local tire shops, I am slightly less confused. And I am now leaning strongly toward staying with an ST but changing the profile to an ST 235/85/16 and maybe increasing the load rating to LRF. This tire will be taller than the original. The 235/85 will add right at an inch to the overall diameter (depends on load rating), be no wider, but be about 1/2 inch higher in the wheel well, and add over 200* pounds per tire of carry capacity. Stated another way, the same load range E Carlisle tire in the 235/80/16 has a carriage of 3420#s and the 235/85/16 carries 3640#s; each at 80psi tire pressure. Where I am heading is supporting the trailer weight with margin. For my trailer at 12500#, properly inflated (max 80 psi) LRE tires will provide me about 9.4% margin (4x3420=13680/12500=1.0944); shifting to the LRE 235/85 tire provides about 16.5% margin (4x3640=14560/12500=1.1648). The ST 235/85/16 LRF tire at close to 50% additional cost over a LRE, moves the margin another 10% or so above the same profile tire (4x3960=15840/12500=1.2672). Or comparing overall load bearing capacity and excess margin, 25% above my current weight if I step up to the LRF (and also to 95psi in the tire). One tire expert suggested a 20% margin is a good idea, so one can move around and build in the comfort one wants, perhaps without breaking the bank. However, as this seems simple, if the axels are rated at 6K (on the sticker of the RV); and I think I have margin due to tires; I really may not as the axel could fail if overloaded. So we must remember that just because the tires can accept the load, the axel may not. This may explain why the manufacturer only matches the load range to the axel and not much more. So all this says, most LRE tires, regardless of the profile, if properly inflated, will carry the load to the axel rating. But the ST has a stiffer sidewall than an LT with the inherent additional heat reduction and weight capacity. Confused yet? I may still be. Why, well my Freestar ST 235/80/16s are rated at 3520# each, for a 12.6% margin at 80 psi. Why they are different than the Carlisle’s which are only rated at 3420#s is anyone’s guess? And no, I never ran 80 psi in the tires, but sure will run the max on the tires in the future. And I need to ensure I have high pressure stems in the rims. If anyone has comments or suggestions or corrections to the above, please fire back. This is an area that seems critical for safety and we should all have the right answers; doubt we’ll all do the same but that is OK too.

And an additional note: I waited for the repair guy to come change my tire (as suggested by one member) however when he showed up we ended up using both of us and his and my bottle jacks. The tire changing threads made sure I did not lift the whole trailer using the axel. So I am off to get an additional bottle jack and jack stands in preparation for times when the guy takes too long or I am boon docking and can’t call in the repair guy. This additional equipment will also enable me to change out the shackles as suggested by many members.

RidgecrestDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:17 AM   #37
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Not only do my G614's say "Made in USA" but the code shows they were built in the Goodyear plant in Topeka, KS. Having lived in Topeka for about 25 years I am aware they build the big tires there. The earthmover tires, tractor tires, and other heavy duty tires. Not that that really means anything.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote