Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-22-2010, 03:18 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Hawkshead Tire monitoring system

Just finished ordering one and 4 extra sensors. I read the threads and posts on monitoring systems, like the looks and ability to monitor tire temperatures of this one.
http://www.tpms.ca/HDPURCHASE.php

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 03:29 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Keep us informed of how it functions when you get it installed. A TPMS is on my Christmas list (again!!) and I think Santa (DW) may actually cooperate this year. Looks like a very good price. Did you go with the signal booster??
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 03:47 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I had forgotten how touchy this forum is, I have posted twice, first time it said server needs updated, dropped my post. A minute ago, it dropped my post to you...timed out.
I now copy everything, so I can try it again.

I will, no I didn't go with that, from what I read, I do not think it is needed.
I will install it on my truck for the 4 tires there, I will test it for a year before the Montana gets outfitted.
I already got my Lug nuts, very good service from the company I bought from. Very low prices and great service,
www.streetsideauto.com
Old 10-22-2010, 04:05 AM   #4
nowinter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9521
Been disappointed with my Hawkshead Tire Pressure monitors. I set the monitor for 80 p.s.i. for the trailer tires. When I got back from the Fall Rally, the monitor indicated 85 to 86.5 psi in all my tires. I checked my tires with two different gauges and they were all close to 80 psi. Therefore, I called Hawkshead and they were not much help. The Hawkshead tech indicated that all four transmitters would not be incorrect at the same time and it must be a temperature differential issue and he thought my gauges were not correct. Strange that both my gauges would indicate the same pressures at each tire. I really did not buy this. I removed the sensors from the Monty and will try once more before I send them back. I verified my gauges with my truck tires and they were correct. I compared the gauge pressure with my onboard truck tire monitor. I have a 2009 Chevy 2500 HD. Not sure what I am going to do next. Originally I liked the product, now I am not too sure.
nowinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 04:22 AM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Good luck with it. I have found that they are more helpful when you tell them you are in this group, I point out to them that most of our members follow closely when we have problems with their products. Keep on them for answers.
You could 'power down' the system, set it up again, sometimes they have a built-in calibrating system in electronics. I run into this with my HVAC troubleshooting.
Old 10-22-2010, 04:53 AM   #6
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
I had mine for almost 2 yrs. It has warned every time I have had a pressure drop on my tires. I am very happy with it.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 07:43 AM   #7
tim43
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9178
Have been using the system since August and even though there is a small variance between actual TP and what the system readout says, I like the system so far. I noticed in a CW flier the other day that they are carrying a re-branded system that is identical to the Hawkshead.
tim43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 09:23 AM   #8
Devildog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4958
I just picked up the TST TPMS before our October 1 camping trip to Carrabelle. I cannot tell you how much stress relief it gave to be able to keep constant check on pressures and temps without watching the tires when turning curves. Well worth the cost and have not needed the re transmitter for our length.
Could even tell what side of the camper the sun was shining on the tires, as they would be about 3 to 4 psi higher than the other side, and the tire temps mirrored that.
Good luck with your purchase and test!
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 09:37 AM   #9
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
Full discolosure: I have a Hawkshead system.

I'm quite happy with it but I know it doesn't read exactly what a calibrated gauge reads. I've checked mine against a calibration source at a tire dealer. The specs don't even claim it will be super accurate. The more important point is whether it reads consistently. Mine seem to read on average about 4 lbs low but the point is they always do the same thing so I trust them to tell me when they detect a leak. That is what I have them for, eh?

They are very sensitive to change. I've thrown alarms from parking in a puddle at a truck stop. I can tell which side of my rig is in the sun too. They are that sensitive. After 4000 miles of towing with this system I trust it completely but still know that I have to throw in a bit of common sense when I interpret what it's telling me.
pbahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 10:24 AM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

I had forgotten how touchy this forum is, I have posted twice, first time it said server needs updated, dropped my post. A minute ago, it dropped my post to you...timed out.
I now copy everything, so I can try it again.

I will, no I didn't go with that, from what I read, I do not think it is needed.
I will install it on my truck for the 4 tires there, I will test it for a year before the Montana gets outfitted.
I already got my Lug nuts, very good service from the company I bought from. Very low prices and great service,
www.streetsideauto.com
Jim - in case you don't know this.. to quickly copy the text, click in the text, then ctrl-a to highlight it all then ctrl-c to copy it. When it's taking a long time to post I do this... just in case. Like you, I don't like to lose a long post.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 12:21 PM   #11
2Wanderers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9998
Just bought the CW version last week. Works fine. One sensor is about 4 lbs low, but that is stated in the specs as expected tolerance. Did buy the repeater and didn't think I would need it. After a while I got intermittant readings off one sensor location so I went ahead and installed the repeater. Works great now, strong signal, works even with the truck disconnected and forward 10ft.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:32 PM   #12
tim43
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9178
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 2Wanderers

Just bought the CW version last week. Works fine. One sensor is about 4 lbs low, but that is stated in the specs as expected tolerance. Did buy the repeater and didn't think I would need it. After a while I got intermittant readings off one sensor location so I went ahead and installed the repeater. Works great now, strong signal, works even with the truck disconnected and forward 10ft.
I wonder if the CW sensors are compatible with the Hawkshead system. Will give them a call next week. The CW here at Myrtle Beach could not answer that question.
tim43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 02:02 PM   #13
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Tim, I doubt that sensors cross-brands, but would not rule it out.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:53 PM   #14
MuddyPaws
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2277
The one CW sells looks like a 'rebranded' Hawkshead. Same general shape, exactly the same display. I'll bet you a donut they are interchangable.

Russ
MuddyPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 05:39 PM   #15
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
I asked the fellow I bought them off of and he said they are the same.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:08 PM   #16
sfish
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10234
Do you need to replace the valve stems when adding the sensors?

Thanks Steve
sfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 07:30 PM   #17
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Steve I was about to ask the same question! How many of you that put on the Hawkshead or the CW sensors put on new metal stems? I've heard it helps but have not got a clear answer on it even if I asked at CW.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 01:23 AM   #18
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I read that the rubber stems are not good, I hope everyone has gone to the metal ones anyway. But if you have metal, you are OK.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:16 PM   #19
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
I have mine changed when I take a tire in if it is leaking. I have changed out 2 so far and have not had any trouble with the original valve stems.