Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-12-2010, 06:29 AM   #1
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
A Tire issue Remedy

We like many other rig owners have had tire issues and have been searching for a remedy. While at the last rally I talked with several fellow Escapee members and was apprised of the following information. Several HDT members on that forum have done some very nice research on the universal tire situation and have come up with some startling information. Here is a link to that research and optional remedy to the underrated tire situation. I for one plan on taking full advantage of this wheel and tire change option. A H rated tire with a 4805 lbs per tire rating beats the heck out of 3750 and I will be operating at well below the max tire weight rating thus giving the tires a better chance to survive the rigors of towing... Dave and Betsy

Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 08:39 AM   #2
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Have you priced those bad boys yet? I'm seeing anything from $287 to almost $400 per tire! One blog reports they paid $2,230 for wheels and tires. That is a lot of $$$$, and I got no rich relatives on their deathbeds (in fact I have no rich relatives period!).

There are couple other things to remember too. Due to their rating, they will ride rough - very rough. The other thing that would cause concern is they aren't available 'everywhere' should you need a replacement.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 12:15 PM   #3
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Tom, G114s are just as available as the G614s. And I have no intention of running them anywhere near the 125 lbs max pressure. That does away with the "rough" ride as well as operates well below the weight rating on the tire. With only 2900lbs per tire I should get very good mileage out of them and not come anywhere near the 4805 rating. I have been quoted between 252 and 385 for the G614s so the G114s aren't any worse in price. Even if I have to cough another 2K on tires and wheels it is worth not having to have the whole side of my Big Sky repaired again... Dave
Old 10-12-2010, 07:08 PM   #4
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
Yes, you can increase the ratings of tires and wheels by going the 17 inch route and will solve the situation of running tires and wheels well under their rated capacity. Now what about your suspension? Springs, shackles, and axles are only rated at 7000 per axle in which our Montys and Big Skys run very near that rating even if the hitch takes away plus or minus 3000 ibs. Here in Canada CSA will only rate those 7000 lb axkles at 6000 Lbs because of braking surface (does not meet requirements) plus other concerns so that really puts us in a delimma! Then we move to the frame which is only 10 inch where competitors use 12 inch and maybe those frames should be 12 inch to increase that modulus.
To conclude: Those rigs keep getting larger and are crowding the limits of 7000 lb axles, springs, shackles, wheels and rubber.
I am sure down the road we will see more 8,9, and 10,000 lb axles coming out and maybe even duallys!! I would feel a lot better going down the road at 65 mph!!! Sometimes I wished I was not an Engineer with that mechaical apptitude and this would not even bother me! LOL
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 07:07 AM   #5
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Another consideration is that RV tires are going to die of old age before the tread is gone. I don't see the point in putting on high mileage, high dollar tires that will be replaced due to old age/dry rot long before they are worn out.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 12:19 PM   #6
komokoa
Established Member

M.O.C. #10191
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 8e3k0

.... Here in Canada CSA will only rate those 7000 lb axkles at 6000 Lbs because of braking surface (does not meet requirements) plus other concerns so that really puts us in a delimma! ....
Thats odd. Our axles are Dexter 7000# and are showing on the decal to be rated at the tire max which is greater than 6000# but less than 7000. Is there an error on the decal rating?

Cheers Ken
komokoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 12:32 PM   #7
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
I have as yet to come anywhere near "old age" on tires. I would just be happy if I could get them to not "gator" on me before the trailer is 5 years old. If I pop for good heavy duty tires now I might get the rig to 5 years old before they gator or blow out. BTDT with Missions and do not really trust the Marathons. So if G114s and 17.5 wheels works then that is the way I will go......
Old 10-13-2010, 03:04 PM   #8
ctomwood
Established Member

M.O.C. #9744
Hi I'm just wore out 4 G614 in 14,000 miles. Found that axle were out of line and spring were bad on 08 3500rl. I'm having MorRyde "IS" system installed next week. That system is Independent Suspension System where all wheel can be alined.

Tom
ctomwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 08:28 AM   #9
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Dave, I have a friend with a lathe and I'm sure he'd let me use it to make you some solid steel wheels/tires like the old tractors used to use. They ought to support about 100,000 lbs each and should wear like iron (pun definitely intended!).

Of course they may weigh more than your trailer, but we also have access to a crane to help put them on.

Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 02:46 PM   #10
KDS MONY
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7362
Dave, just left an SOB rally and I can tell you almost all the triple axle units are running the 17.5s with the G114s. They ride as well as any 16", run cooler and do not "gator" or blow out. They are commonly available because they are what is on most lowboy trailers going down the road. The most common problem is the same as many tires, nails and road hazards. If you use a TPMS you will detect the nails, running over something in the road is just bad luck, I haven't found much to cure that!! Best wishes, Jay and Kathy
KDS MONY is offline   Reply With Quote