Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-06-2010, 03:08 PM   #1
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Camera system has been ordered

After a couple of days of research and our favorite resource (the MOC forum consultation team) input, we have placed the order for the rear-view/backup camera system. We decided on the Voyager color system with a single camera and a 5.6" monitor for the truck. It will all be hard-wired and use a detachable heavy-duty trailer connection between the rig and the truck. We did find out the supposed reason that the factory is no longer offering the wireless installs was because they were experiencing interference problems which were primarily being caused by GM/Chevy trucks. I don't know the details, but since the factory was having problems, we decided to take the safe route and use the hard-wired version. The camera will be mounted over the rear window and the cable will most likely be routed beneath the camper (within the underbelly) to a location near the pinbox where a disconnect plug will be provided. We will also mount a disconnect plug inside of the truck bed and have decided on a windshield mount for the time being to allow for stowing of the monitor. We are happy with the overall decision and believe it will provide a definite added safety measure that we have not had previously. Thanks for the input of the MOC, and a special thanks to our dealer as well as Keystone working to remedy the situation that arose when the camera install became unavailable during the build process of the rig.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 03:37 PM   #2
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

I know you guys are anxious to get into the new Monty. Glad everything is working out!
Old 10-07-2010, 12:44 AM   #3
thor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6133
watch that the thiefs dont try to break in and steal the unit .they look for the puck mark that it makes on the windshield.i had one person break in to my truck in houston trying to steal it but i took it with me. but still had to fix the truck after the break in.some people!
thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 05:35 AM   #4
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
Bingo,

If you are going to do the install please take and post picture so we all know how ya did it. We have been thing about doing the same thing.
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 04:16 PM   #5
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Fire5er,
The dealer will be doing the installation, but I will provide photos of the final product along with an explanation of how and why it was done. The preliminary discussions with the dealer have led me to persuade them to place the cabling under the rig inside the belly area for the simple reason of future access to the wiring. The rear wiring will be within the end cap, and travel around the rear window to the underbelly area. I may have a better idea of the front wiring details after doing the walk-through with the assistance of the service tech Saturday. Will keep all updated.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
Old 10-07-2010, 04:56 PM   #6
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I mounted my hard wired rear view camera right above the running lights centered on the rear cap. I removed the outer RH running light. I then drilled a 1/2" hole in the rear cap right behind the camera. I installed a rubber grommet in the hole later for weatherproofing. I dropped the rear belly pan down just a bit and ran fish tape from the hole over to the runing light, then down to the rear belly pan and pulled the coax carefully through all that. Next I drilled another 1/2" hole in the front storage area in the lower curbside corner where it meets the underbelly right above the plastic cardboard. I then ran fish tape back to the rear where I had left the wire from the first pull then pulled the coax forward taking all the slack out. From the front storage area I ran it up the side and across the plastic sheeting under the bedroom and then exited out next to the pin box where the break away switch wire is. I left enough hanging out to easily reach the monitors wire connector in the truck bed right over the wheel well. I just put the slack under bedroom on top of the white plastic panel. I have my monitor hard mounted inbetween the sun visors with the wire running across the headliner, down the rear cab trim by the seat, out an existing grommet in the rear cab, and up inside the inner fender to a connector. I put that in the side of the bed right under the post rail. I can easily reach over into the bed and hook up the truck and trailer wires the same time I hook up the breakaway cable. I try and take photos in a few days. With the fish tape, it didn't take but part of an afternoon to do the entire project.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 02:47 AM   #7
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Dieselguy,
I like the monitor mounting location, will have to see if that is possible in ours. We have a partial console up there so will have to investigate.
Bingo

Old 10-08-2010, 08:24 AM   #8
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
On Fords ... there is a steel reinforcing plate in between the sunvisors. I fastened the swivel mount that came with my monitor to that plate. I had to drill a small hole thru the headliner, but when I decide to trade, it can be covered up with a matching plastic push pin that about any manufacturer uses installing trim pieces in their trucks.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote