Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-29-2010, 08:21 AM   #1
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
Sofa Drawer

How do you keep your sofa drawer closed? I've noticed ours comes open when we drive down the road. Also saw someone else's do the same thing.

I see a hook on the drawer, but the clasp on the frame of the sofa doesn't catch the hook.

oldelmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:36 AM   #2
Yamaha_Mama
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8057
We use two of the long straps from the chair. We attached the two together and looped it around the couch in the middle. We tuck one end between the cushions, and the other on the floor just under the couch when we aren't using them. They stay nicely out of sight when we are parked but are easy to get to and keep the drawer closed when we are moving.
Yamaha_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:16 AM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Not on this drawer, but sometimes when this occurs the clasps come out of adjustment. Is it possible that the clasp has now come out of adjustment and just needs to be readjusted and tightened down to keep it from moving?

Others have complained about this same drawer and it's not hard to believe that the installation or the design is not as good as it should be. Besides the straps mentioned above, others have come up with other ways to tighten up the closures by replacing the existing hardware with better or stronger hardware (strong magnet clasps for example).
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:19 AM   #4
restez
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10477
My wife just stuffs an extra blanket in ours so that it has friction and it stays in nicely.
restez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 11:52 AM   #5
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
We had this same problem for the first season and fixed it by cutting a 4x6 diagonally into two huge door stops. It hasn't opened up on the road since. But beware, it will peel your little toe off if you try to walk between the couch and coffee table without removing it when parked. Followed by lots of colorful language. Get a piece of 4x6 about 18 to 20 inches long and cut it along the 6 inch (5 1/2) dimension from the top of the 4 inch dimension to the bottom. DO NOT SAND this, you want the rough surface to grab the carpet... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 02:49 PM   #6
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
Our just started doing that too. On inspection the plastic piece broke around one of the screw holes and it moves up or down allowing it to fly open.

7.3Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 03:38 PM   #7
klash
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9399
We used the $4.98 solution. Bought one of those yellow plastic
wheel chocks at Walmart, and before we hit the road, dear wife
gently slips in under the front of the sofa drawer right in the middle.
When we reach our destination, we take it out, and just slip it into
the drawer. Works great.
klash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 07:39 PM   #8
Sinterior
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9238
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by klash

We used the $4.98 solution. Bought one of those yellow plastic
wheel chocks at Walmart, and before we hit the road, dear wife
gently slips in under the front of the sofa drawer right in the middle.
When we reach our destination, we take it out, and just slip it into
the drawer. Works great.
Great idea!
Sinterior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 03:49 PM   #9
Texas5er
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7143
I use the yellow wheel chocks also. Works great.
Texas5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 04:23 PM   #10
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
Here is what I did on the 08 Monty we had and am also doing the same thing on the new Monty. It is easy to do with a nylon strap and one of those twist type latches. The screws are small and do not ruin the fabric on the front of the drawer. I removed this strap from the 08 and am using it on the new Monty. You could not tell where the screws were when I removed them from the old rig.
Couch Strap
On the old couch I looped the strap around the metal bar at the top. On the new rig I screwed the strap to the frame above the drawer.
The strap can be tucked in the drawer if you don't want to see it when you are not traveling. We don't notice it unless we look at it and it does a great job holding the drawer in place.
Joe
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 06:59 PM   #11
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Our rig came with a strap attached to the floor behind the couch. We took one of the bracket attached to the floor at the recliner (which we don't use) and attached it to the bottom of the drawer. So come time to travel, snap the belts together. $0 cost. Dianna frequently tucks items behind the strap for safe travel while the set on the couch.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 01:30 AM   #12
Fiver Get You Ten
Established Member

M.O.C. #8419
We solved that problem by getting rid of the couch that sat terribly and replacing it with a very nice all-wood futon. One of our best mods. Lost some weight and no colorful language required!
Fiver Get You Ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 02:30 AM   #13
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
When the sticks and bricks sell (or if) we plan on replacing this couch with a Lazy Boy Wall Hugger Love Seat. The only sleep over guests we ever have are my daughter an a friend of hers. She doesn't like the inflatable bed and prefers the recliner anyway. Granted we will lose the storage but that is a small price for the added space and comfort. P.S. I would have used one of the lego chocks had we had one at the time but when I made the wooded ones we were several hundred miles from any RV dealer.
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 03:53 AM   #14
nunya
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6756
Used the wheel chock idea yesterday, WOW does that work good and so simple! Thanks again, I love the KISS principle in life.
nunya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 02:38 PM   #15
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
Chocks, orange. This is important to attend to by any means mentioned, because the next step is for the drawer runner to disintegrate when the rig travels with the drawer extended, spilling ball bearings all over the carpet. Don't ask me how I know.
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 04:22 PM   #16
tim43
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9178
We also use a yellow tire chock from Wally World!
tim43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 03:11 PM   #17
Ruth
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8424
We use 2 chocks also but even so, sometimes the drawer comes out. Supposedly Montana fixed it last year. Bad design we've decided!
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote