Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-08-2010, 07:15 AM   #21
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Clemson1881

Michael, I believe what is happening to your bedroom unit is the cold air from the main unit is blowing all the way into the return area of the front unit (they use the same ducts) and giving the thermostat a false reading. The trick is to turn the fan on both units to the continuous setting. That way the cold air from the opposite unit will not give the thermostat a false reading because the counter force from each unit will push against each other. If either fan cycles off from either unit the opposite unit can be affected in this way, so keep the fans running when using both units. Try it. I bet it will solve your issue.
Greg, just signed on...your solution is right on the money! We now have both A/Cs working...big difference in just a few minutes. Again, thanks!

CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:59 AM   #22
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
pbahlin,
We are in Meredith, NH.
The weatherman said last night that this is the first day in 35 years that Nashua, NH has reached over 100 degrees.
Last summer was cool and wet, did not get over 90 degrees all summer.
I will put up with a warm weather.
Put on the front air a couple of years ago, as sometimes use it in AZ in fall and spring.
It will cool down and we will say Where is the WARM weather!!!
E. Sven
carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:21 AM   #23
PatnRich
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1250
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dmaxmountaineer

Does anyone use one of those portable air conditioners? I would like to add another ac, but im not keen on cutting a hole in my roof. I was thinking of buying a portable air conditioner that looks like a dehumidifier. What can be done with the exhaust though?
I'm not sure why you would need to cut a hole in the roof? Rv ac's are made to be installed in a roof vent hole.
PatnRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:47 AM   #24
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:

Mine is. It depends on the unit. The factory install has a ceiling mounted sensor. Either way the cold air from the main unit can hinder the front unit from kicking on. Mine works best if I leave the fans on. That's why I had little success with a non-ducted system. It would short cycle because the bedroom cooled too quickly in relation to the living area. The side aisle bath in my unit left no airway from the bedroom to the back.
Thanks, was just curious about it. We have a center isle Mountaineer. I can definitely see where the sensor could become an issue depending on where it is mounted.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 02:39 PM   #25
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
When we were at the max temps yesterday I noticed that all of my vents were really throwing out a lot of heat, so much so that it was uncomfortable to keep your hand up in the vent recess. Today I fought back. Went to a home supply place and bought a sheet of 2" foil faced foam. Then I cut squares about an eighth too big and wrapped the edges with foil tape to keep crumbs out of the rig. The wife hates crumbs!

I threaded some nylon twine through the squares to give me a way to pull them out. Then I pushed them into the vents (which just happen to have a 2" recess. The squares are flush with the ceiling. Now I have cool ceilings. No hot spots. Today the AC kept up. Unfortunately it was a bit cooler today so I'm not sure this will help on the record setting days but I'm pleased for now. I figure these will be handy on the really cold nights as well.

Oh yeah, I put some plexiglas strips on the top side, under my twine so that pulling out the squares doesn't end up making lots of little squares out of my big squares. It's amazing, the little things you can find to fill your time when you've got lots of time to spare. It's kind of like the junk in my old cellar. I only had enough stuff to just fill it.
pbahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 02:50 PM   #26
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
E. Sven:

We're in Hinsdale, NH (Hinsdale Campground at Thicket Hill); full time but still fulfilling local commitments before we take off. We're using Hinsdale to get our rig in shape and our stick house stuff sorted and junked.
pbahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 03:46 PM   #27
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
We are in pigeon forge and the temps are in the mid to upper 90s. I cleaned my unit last wk both coils and the blower cage. I have not cleaned mine since it was new in 05. There was more dust in the blower than the coils and that cut down on airflow alot. We have partial shade and mine will keep the temps at 75 that is where I set the t-stat I also put the fan on high in the daytime and auto at nite. I can tell a big difference in airflow now. I found it helps to keep the day-night shades down DW likes them up.
bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 11:26 PM   #28
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Bobby,
So I assume the shades are up.
Jim
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 05:07 AM   #29
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
We are in Amarillo, TX, and the Weather is not what we expected. Yesterday when we arrived it was around 80, and in a few hours had dropped to 70, as the sun went down. We had the "central" air set at 73 and the AC did not come on all night long.

We traveled from Texas to the West Coast, up the Coast to Washington, and across the Rockies to now presently Amarillo. We complained about the weather being cold and wet for over 80% of our trip.

Earlene did a little research one day for people we know that live in the different areas. Stafford, VA was the highest, followed by Central Mass. then Texas City, then Colorado Springs, CO, which was beautiful.

So what I'm hearing is that the weather is "freaky." Those areas that one would not expect to be so hot, are hot, and those areas that one would expect to be hot, are cool(er).

That is the beauty of traveling in these here United States. I would rather pay the expense of traveling with two air conditioners than to only have one when two are needed. The payback is the ability to be comfortable. I can sympathize with those that are stuck with inadequate cooling or heating. I have definitely been there, done that.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 06:36 AM   #30
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
In reply to the original question, not according to my wife...
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 07:19 AM   #31
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by scductman

We are in pigeon forge and the temps are in the mid to upper 90s. I cleaned my unit last wk both coils and the blower cage. I have not cleaned mine since it was new in 05. There was more dust in the blower than the coils and that cut down on airflow alot. We have partial shade and mine will keep the temps at 75 that is where I set the t-stat I also put the fan on high in the daytime and auto at nite. I can tell a big difference in airflow now. I found it helps to keep the day-night shades down DW likes them up.
bobby
We just left that area this morning (we were at the Newport KOA), was it hot yesterday or what!
Old 07-10-2010, 05:44 AM   #32
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Unlike others who have Montana's that are "warm and toasty" in cold weather and "comfortable" in very hot weather we do not have one of those units. In moderatly cold weather we are drafty, the slides leak and the floor is cold. We used a tank of propane every 2 1/2 days in Florida's so called cold weather. Low 30's at night, 60's in the day , temp set at 70 degrees. The last few days have been 94/97 degrees and 86 % humidity. The rear A/C runs constantly, never shuts off .The front A/C on this 06 3400 is always on. we are in the sun, no shade. With he temp set at 75 degrees the best we could attain was 79 degrees. That does keep the humidity down. Water was pouring off the side of the camper.

I have to say we do not wear hats, gloves, scarfs, long johns, thick socks or footies in the camper in cold weather. We don't at home..We don't in the camper. Temp set at 70 and whatever it takes to keep it there. Apparently since we have the arctic package the temp in the Artic is between 40 and 50 degrees above zero as that is where the package works..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 04:36 PM   #33
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Rich, I really think you have a typical unit.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 04:49 PM   #34
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Not us, we are on the Oregon Coast in Florence and it is 59 degrees as I sit here. I think it got up to 69 or 70 today for a high. Living life and loving it!!!!!!! We don't expect our unit to heat or cool too much, so we dress appropriately for the weather, if that means sweats during the winter and skimpy shorts during the summer, that is what we do....We do travel north in summer and south in winter. Will be on the Oregon coast for the next 7 weeks, except for the fog, we love it......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 05:38 PM   #35
mopar1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8805
When we first got our camper the ducted A/C did not work good at all. It had some cool air flowing but not a bunch. I did not know if that was a normal amount. I opened the vent on the A/C lots of fast moving air came out there.
So I took the cover off the bottom of the unit to find somebody got confused and taped over the ducts and left the "attic" open so all of the cold was blowing in there. I repaired that and the cooling was much better.
But it still is not enough to cool it down in really hot weather. I, too, need a second A/C unit. Montana would not have pre-wired that vent for A/C in the bedroom if they did not know one A/C would not be enough.
mopar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 01:14 PM   #36
lawrenceb42106
Montana Master

M.O.C. #45
We are in Tucson,AZ now. 105 outside last few days. Had the second a/c unit added today. $650.00 installed. Money well spent. 71 in trailer verse 89 the last few days.
lawrenceb42106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 03:30 PM   #37
oscarj
Established Member

M.O.C. #8152
I have a 2004 2670 and just added a second ac. I am very happy that I did as it makes the camping on the coast and here in South Georgia much more enjoyable. The one unit would do the job with a fan in the bedroom but now both just coast along...no problem. I like running the 13500 unit in the bedroom so the main unit doesn't come on very much and it is nice and quiet in the main area and easier for conversation and tv. At night if it is just my wife and myself I pretty much just run the bedroom and we close the door into the remaining coach...we stay very cool and comfortable. My menopausal wife loves it! My philosophy....I get away from the stress of life in my rv and I want to sleep well and enjoy. I can cool the coach fast and am as comfortable as at home. Rock on and happy camping!
oscarj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 12:36 PM   #38
Jdrobone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9833
Own a 2010 3400rl with dual ac's. Run 'em both in this hot weather - maybe could get by with one but, why try? With 2 running the air speed is on low, not as noisy, and water is pouring off the roof on both ends of the rv - that's moisture that would be inside otherwise.
Jdrobone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 08:19 PM   #39
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CamillaMichael

Quote:

Michael, I believe what is happening to your bedroom unit is the cold air from the main unit is blowing all the way into the return area of the front unit (they use the same ducts) and giving the thermostat a false reading. The trick is to turn the fan on both units to the continuous setting. That way the cold air from the opposite unit will not give the thermostat a false reading because the counter force from each unit will push against each other. If either fan cycles off from either unit the opposite unit can be affected in this way, so keep the fans running when using both units. Try it. I bet it will solve your issue.
Greg, just signed on...your solution is right on the money! We now have both A/Cs working...big difference in just a few minutes. Again, thanks!
While experimenting with our two ac's, discovered that if we set the front ac about five degrees cooler than the rear, both ac's will run...sometimes in sequence and sometimes at the same time, depending on the temp. The result is that we get the benefit of both ac's without having to run the fans all the time.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:07 AM   #40
Lambchop
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5793
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by exav8tr

Not us, we are on the Oregon Coast in Florence and it is 59 degrees as I sit here. I think it got up to 69 or 70 today for a high. Living life and loving it!!!!!!! We don't expect our unit to heat or cool too much, so we dress appropriately for the weather, if that means sweats during the winter and skimpy shorts during the summer, that is what we do....We do travel north in summer and south in winter. Will be on the Oregon coast for the next 7 weeks, except for the fog, we love it......
We probably do the same as Phil & Cathy.....Dress for the weather. My DW hates A/C either in the trailer or truck! I love it, but will sacrifice for her comfort. Just two weeks ago, we made a trip to IA for a graduation. When we got there, it was 98 degrees. Turned on the air & it was like nothing! A second A/C would have helped that time. It took until 8:00 that night to get comfortable using the Quick Cool feature in the living room. Then we opened the French doors in the living room to cool off the rest of the trailer. The following day it got hot again, but the air managed to keep the trailer comfortable. The secret is to keep it on ahead of the hot weather. We left 3 ceiling vents open half way to let the hot air out since cold air always stays on the bottom. We tried using the Fantastic fan, but that was drawing hot air from the furnace vents...so just left that vent open. Also closed all blinds. That really helped.
We are thinking off a second A/C for the bedroom. But take in on how many times we would use it, maybe not. We spend summers in the midwest & winters in the south....of course this summer has been a Hot one all over.......

Roy& Kay
Lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote