Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2010, 11:31 AM   #1
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Oil in Gulf

Don't want this to get political, but is anyone in the areas of the Gulf affected by the oil leaking from the Deep Horizon well? We see the birds coated with oil on the news every morning, and it is sickening. We have a couple rusted out barges in the bay behind us, and brown pelicans, blue herons, egrets, and other birds roost on them. We have the white pelicans here in winter, but they have flown north now. I saw above a dozen brown pelicans flying over in a line earlier, and it sure got me thinking, will they be here in the future?

Shrimp have steadily increased in price here. A friend told me shrimp that he paid $3.50 per lb for last summer are over 8 bucks a pound now. Thankfully, I've got some bay shrimp in the freezer. I'm so afraid the Gulf will never be the same in my lifetime.

SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 02:58 PM   #2
alandaudrey
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9011
Slickwillie, as you know we in Texas so far haven't had anything but some tar balls but I'm sure it's just a matter of time before we get hit hard.

Listening to an attorney that fought for the fishermen who were hurt by the Exxon Valdez said that after 21 years they are still having oil come ashore.

Where in Texas are you located?
alandaudrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 03:48 PM   #3
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by alandaudrey

Slickwillie, as you know we in Texas so far haven't had anything but some tar balls but I'm sure it's just a matter of time before we get hit hard.

Listening to an attorney that fought for the fishermen who were hurt by the Exxon Valdez said that after 21 years they are still having oil come ashore.

Where in Texas are you located?
We're in Aransas Pass. I would agree, we get a tropical disturbance headed this way, we're in trouble.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:57 PM   #4
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
They have all that technology to find oil and drill for it, but yet they do not have the technology to prevent, and/or clean up their mess. It is truly a shame and we will all be affected by this for years to come.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 10:04 AM   #5
alandaudrey
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9011
SlickWillie, we were in Aransas Pass two weeks ago. I wish I had known that you were there. We were staying at Goose Island SP but visited AP while we were there. We could have stopped by and said "Hey".

WayneM, are you still in OR? That is some great country. Where are you headed next?
alandaudrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 11:13 AM   #6
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Have to wonder why some of the things available are being shunned -- don't know all the facts as I just caught some of the news item yesterday but they had Kevin Costner speaking to the Senate subcommittee meeting about how an invention that he worked on / invested in / developed over 10 years ago is not being used. Yet BP ownes several of them. Also, had an email come in yesterday talking about some type of skimmer that they have that can be used at ocean depths to clear the muck out -- was developed to clear sand / silt out of river water so as not to contaminate or cloud waters further south after a dredging type activity. There is stuff out there -- have to question why BP is not using it. Now, notice I'm not saying "our government" -- I believe that industry got us into this, they MUST get it cleaned up... Enough of the soap box - time to go check the batteries and get ready to enjoy this warm, humid evening.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 03:17 AM   #7
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Kevin Costner is a good actor, ok as a music artist, but I don't think he has a clear concept of what we are dealing with in the Gulf. Centrifuges have been used for years to separate water from oil. He seems to think he just invented them. I would say he is probably being used by some individuals trying to make some big bucks off this disaster. Just how many of those you reckon it would take to clean the Gulf of Mexico? Yes, I think BP's response to the spill has been terrible.
Old 06-12-2010, 05:06 AM   #8
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Well I am getting tired of hearing estimates that keep changing of how much is spewing out. What I want to hear is how many gallons or barrels are they sucking out of the water and close to beaches. Nobody seems to be talking about that.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 06:30 AM   #9
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by indy roadrunner

Well I am getting tired of hearing estimates that keep changing of how much is spewing out. What I want to hear is how many gallons or barrels are they sucking out of the water and close to beaches. Nobody seems to be talking about that.
I can sure understand what you're talking about. Here is an interesting article. There is a link to the full letter mentioned on that site. Seems BP is hiding a lot of data on the spill.
Old 06-12-2010, 04:56 PM   #10
cbgaloot
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10337
I just got back from the beach in Panama City Beach. No oil in site.

I hear that some oil is showing up in the very western part of Florida, near Pensacola.
cbgaloot is offline   Reply With Quote