Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-16-2010, 03:04 PM   #1
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
Tire Pressure Burp

Huh?

I've got a new TPMS and I've been particularly attentive with it. It's new and fun to watch pressure and temps change as you drive along, plus I want to know it well enough to be really comfortable with it.

But something really strange happened the other day. I was driving along and out of nowhere I got a 'tire leak' warning. I was down ten pounds according to my monitor. I pulled over at my first opportunity and checked the pressure with my gauge. Sure enough I was down ten.

There was no sigh of obvious damage or leaking so I replaced the ten pounds and continued home, comfortable that I could watch the pressure with the monitor and avoid any damage. Strangely though, the tire never lost any more air. I've been running for three days now with no further leaking. I've checked the tire with pressure gauge and monitor. They've always agreed so I'm comfortable that this is not some kind of glitch with the monitor.

What gives? The only thing I can figure is that the tire burps. Maybe I rolled over a burrito or something??????

pbahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 03:08 PM   #2
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
Don't you know, it was the Gremlins. Sorry I just couldn't resist.
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 03:30 PM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I would check the valve stem and see if it is leaking. You may have had a loose monitor on your valve stem. I have found Teflon tape helps seal it. Good luck.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 04:10 PM   #4
print6800

M.O.C. #9754
I purchased the TST tire montoring system. Every thing worked fine for the first trip, about 120 miles. About two weeks later I hooked up the Monty to take it in for some hail damage repair. About five miles from home I got a low tire presure warning, one tire had dropped about 20 pounds, to 60 PSI and stayed there. I slowed down and got to the dealer about 40 miles later, still down just 20 pounds.

They checked things out and told me it was a rubber value stem issue. I thought they were just upset because I didn't buy the system from them. I took my rig home and started to check things out. Turns out they were correct. When I would wiggle the value stem on two of the tires just right, you could hear leaking. I took all four tires to my local tire shop and had metal value stems installed (total cost $20). Great price, but I've been buying tires there for over 20 years.

That was three weeks ago. Since then I've put well over 1000 miles on the Monty (Michigan to North Carolina). I haven't lost a bit of presure on any of the tires.

TST recommends metal valve stems. I think that is because the weight of the sensors causes stress on the rubber valve stems when driven at highway speeds.
print6800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 12:44 AM   #5
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
I'll have to check out the valve stems. These are brand new tires on a brand new truck (
pbahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 05:00 AM   #6
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
[quote]quote:Originally posted by pbahlin

I'll have to check out the valve stems. These are brand new tires on a brand new truck (
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 11:04 AM   #7
1Happycamper
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6880
I received an email from my friend telling me the same thing. When he stopped to add air he found out that the sensor was just loose enough to let the air out slowly. After adding air and putting the sensor on tightly, he had no more problems. He also has rubber valve stems.

Bill
1Happycamper is offline   Reply With Quote