Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-04-2010, 05:04 PM   #1
dandt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7142
Rockin Rig

Just to let you guys know...the Montana holds up really well when you have a 7.2 earthquake hit 100 miles from your parkSitting in our recliners at 3:30ish Easter sunday when the earthquake just outside Mexicaili hit. At first we thought some friends were playing a cruel joke, but no,earthquake it was. We do have our rig supported by 8 jackstands which keeps it pretty stable, but we just rolled back and forth a bit. People at the pool said water was sloshing out from side to side and people playing pool said the balls rolled at random on the tables. I would rather deal with an earthquake anyday compared to tornados, hurricanes and hail storms

dandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 05:19 PM   #2
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
Growing up in San Francisco and experiencing a few earthquakes I think I will also take them over either a Hurricane or a Tornado.
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 05:32 PM   #3
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
I am sitting about 25 miles north of Lake Havasu City and I felt the quake here. I knew we had some wind warnings and thought it was the wind. Walked outside and the wind was still. It got the dogs attention also.
lasater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 05:46 PM   #4
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333

Felt it in Yuma also, DW thought I was on the roof. I was born in SF and experienced many of these back then and we had several in Alaska while I was there. No big deal!!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 07:06 PM   #5
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

You guys might be right in your thinking about the tornados & Hurricanes; unless of course it’s “The Big One” that hits! When I was only 12 we experienced a tornado only about a mile from our house. It did a lot of damage and killed a person or two in the area. We were sheltered from it only because we were on the other side of a hill from where it was travelling. It followed a path close to the hill and crossed the river into Ohio and did a lot of damage there also. We could see the effects of a very strong wind on our side of the hill. Later on when we seen what it had actually done it was as bad as anything I have ever seen on TV since that time. As I think back on that I remember my mom whispering a prayer for us.
I believe things could be a lot different in our country today, if a few more people would take the time to only whisper a prayer!
Old 04-04-2010, 07:26 PM   #6
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I thought Georgia was pushing on the couch when she was standing behind me, it was a roller soft and slow sorta like you were woosey. as for being in a tornado or hurricane, I also will take a shaker and day, in a tornado or hurricane every thing you own is given to your neighbors two towns over in a shaker it just falls down on you property, so most of it can be salvaged.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:03 AM   #7
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Having lived on both coasts, I'll take hurricanes and earthquakes over tornados anytime. I've been in the eye of a hurricane and was in Giants Stadium during the Loma Prieta(sp) earthquake. No tornados for me, thank you.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 01:27 AM   #8
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
Tornadoes are the worst. I lived through one when I was in the Army. Huntsville, Alabama had one that destroyed cement block buildings. Just grazed the building I was in but made a mess of it. Totaled out the cars in the parking lot, including mine. The concentrated power is something.
They can be bad!
I am glad to hear that Montanas do well in earthquakes. 7.2 is a dandy!
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 02:50 AM   #9
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We felt it in Desert Hot Springs, CA. Wife and I thought we were back in Misawa, Japan. In 1968 we had a BIG ONE hit that area, doing over 15 million dollars damage to the base. One injury -- an aircraft mechanic broke his wrist when he jumped off the wing of a cargo plane. That quake moved base houses off their foundation, but no buildings fell. Their buildings seemed to be constructed to handle that kind of nature's event.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 12:47 PM   #10
Les
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10211
Never been in an earthquake but have been way to close to a few tornadoes, and living in south georgia have experienced several remnants of hurricanes. We carry a weather radio in the camper with a emergency warning just in case. Had a tornado get real close several years ago camping in a pop-up. Talk about rocking and rolling.......
Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 02:33 PM   #11
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by exav8tr

Felt it in Yuma also, DW thought I was on the roof.
What was DW doing on the roof?
7.3Ford is offline   Reply With Quote