Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 08-20-2009, 01:53 AM   #21
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Why be embarrassed? Whether or not you served in a combat zone has nothing to do with it -- you served! There are many who ran and hit, including one of our former presidents from the '90s. My father-in-law fled to Canada during WWII. I have no respect for this type of goings on but I have the utmost respect for ANYONE who served, regardless of where or when. I, and many like me, served for 20 years or more but we are no better than those who spent 1, 2, 3 or how many years in service. The point is, we served. Don't be embarrassed, be proud.

Orv

ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 11:27 AM   #22
eastridges
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9276
Support of the front lines comes from the rear. I am in the same boat when it comes to Viet Nam. I served from '73 to '94 in the USAF. I am considered a Viet Nam vet but have a hard time considering the things in-theater vets had. I did serve in theater during desert storm and respect the effort and support we received from the rear, whether active or guard.

Bill Eastridge
SMSgt, USAF Retired
eastridges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 12:02 PM   #23
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Agree with others...you signed up and stood ready to deploy where you were told to go...that is the way it is in the military (as you know): we go where we are told to go. Frankly, I have really never, until now, given any thought to whether a fellow service man or woman has served in a "combat zone." The important thing is that we served. If you want to join an organization and you meet their requirements (technical or not), then join.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 12:11 PM   #24
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
You can be a "social member" of the VFW. I was also never in a Combat zone. But a veteran is a veteran..There was no active war during my watch.I was good..I was very good.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 02:03 PM   #25
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
David,
You're over thinking the thing. You are eligible to join, THE END. I am a life member and that's my take on it. My 3 tours in SEA earn me the same eligibility as you. It's time to move out and join us.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 04:57 PM   #26
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
I just gotta get my 2 cents worth in.

I served 23+ years in the Air Force as an Explosive Ordnance Disposal Tech (your friendly neighborhood bomb squad). I did a year in Vietnam and a lot of time in the Phillipine Islands, Thailand, Alaska, Hawaii, Taiwan, and Okinawa. I even managed to get a few tours stateside (North Carolina, Arkansas, Texas, Louisian, Washington, Missouri, and Utah.

I served with a lot of 11B's (Infantry) and 13B's (Artillary). The training the Arty guys get at Ft Sill, OK, shows when these guys hit the field, whether in a combat zone or a live fire training range. When I see the helicopters drop a couple of howitzers down, followed by the Arty crews, and then see them put "steel on target" within just a couple of minutes then I am very thankful for the instructors that taught them and taught them well.

Without your knowledge, experience, and diligence while instructing, there would have been a lot more casualties in Vietnam and Iraq.

Thank you, Brother.
lasater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 06:57 AM   #27
doofus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10583
I used to avoid using the term "Vietnam ERA veteran" when referring to myself because I didn't get orders to Vietnam until a couple of weeks before we left the country (oops, never mind...). At the time, I served in the same "type" of unit in which CMSgt Etchberger (recently awarded the MOH) did. Later in my career, I flew as a radar navigator in a war-ready FB-111A bomb wing, but again, the Big Whistle never blew while I was there. Although I came within a couple hundred feet of dying one night while flying with the USAF's worst pilot, I never had a shot fired at me in anger. And I'm OK with that!

That said, the Armed Forces depend on EVERY warrior, from the airman who takes ID photos in the CBPO to the SEAL who kills Al Qaida terrorists in Afghanistan. We were all trained to be a vital part of the total force; we admired and rightly respected those who performed tasks we believed were more "important" and more dangerous than those we did, but we were all critical to the success of the mission for which we were trained.

Join and enjoy the fellowship of your fellow warriors. NO ONE there will hold you in any lesser esteem than the others in the group.
doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 05:27 PM   #28
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
Gramps,

I, too, am one of the lucky ones who served '68 to '72 but did not have to see combat. I spent 2 1/2 years getting spit on in northern California because I wore a uniform, and 1 1/2 years freezing my Florida butt off in Alaska. I used to go down to the flight line chow hall late at night at Elmendorf AFB, AK, to get a quick bite to eat. Many of those nights the med evac flights touched down, and ambulatory patients were allowed to deplane and come in to eat. These guys were setting their feet on US soil for the first time since getting wounded, and we always stepped aside and let them go through the line ahead of us. I will always be haunted and humbled by the looks on their faces. It used to bother me that they had made that sacrifice while I was safe at home, but like many others, I just went where they sent me. In the Air Force at least, there are always more support troops than actual combat forces, and we all had a part to play. The fact that you made a career in service and I only did 4 years humbles me as well. Thank you for your service, Gramps.
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 01:15 AM   #29
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
Gramps...First of all, thank you for your service. To retire from the military to me says a lot for the man itself. Thats not an easy life to say the least. You served, you did what you were ordered to do and the ones that were in the rear supported my butt more times than I can count. I too was one that used to hide the fact that I was a Marine Viet Nam vet in the early years after I got back from there. It was a time that you was not appreciated by many. Baby killers, being spit in the face etc. But I have seen a great turn around in this area in todays world. Yes we are very thankful for our military as we should be. Thanks to each and everyone of you that is protecting us, and giving me the freedom to do what I want.

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:51 AM   #30
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
I served in Korea in '58/59 and I was amused that my son, who served in the Air Force in Omaha during the fighting in Iraq, was eligible to join the VFW while I was not.

I may be mistaken but I think the requirement to join the VFW was changed quite some time after I was discharged.
ARJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 12:12 PM   #31
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by washley1

Gramps,

I, too, am one of the lucky ones who served '68 to '72 but did not have to see combat. I spent 2 1/2 years getting spit on in northern California because I wore a uniform, and 1 1/2 years freezing my Florida butt off in Alaska. I used to go down to the flight line chow hall late at night at Elmendorf AFB, AK, to get a quick bite to eat. Many of those nights the med evac flights touched down, and ambulatory patients were allowed to deplane and come in to eat. These guys were setting their feet on US soil for the first time since getting wounded, and we always stepped aside and let them go through the line ahead of us. I will always be haunted and humbled by the looks on their faces. It used to bother me that they had made that sacrifice while I was safe at home, but like many others, I just went where they sent me. In the Air Force at least, there are always more support troops than actual combat forces, and we all had a part to play. The fact that you made a career in service and I only did 4 years humbles me as well. Thank you for your service, Gramps.
My return to the US was via an AF base in Alaska during March 1969, probably the one you cited...I was strapped in, so when they opened hatches for those who could move around, I got to lay on my stretcher and freeze! From Alaska it was on to Andrews AFB (I believe) outside of DC to stabilize before further transfer. At each of these mid-points, there were a lot of support staff...none of these places were "combat zones," but I sure appreciated those who were serving there. Can't imagine why anyone would think less of any person serving in our armed forces based on where they did or did not serve??????
Old 12-30-2010, 01:36 PM   #32
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I will say there are those vets that do not see it as we do. I had my retired Air Force hat on the other day and a lady came up and asked: "You retired Air Force?" My first thought was to deny it and just say I stole the hat, but sometimes I can be a nice guy so I just said yes m'am. I also said I served form '66 to '86, she then asked if I had been to Viet Nam. I told her no. She then said she had been an Army nurse and served two tours there. Then she turned around and walked away before I could even thank her!!!! Takes all kinds!!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 05:15 PM   #33
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
Michael, sorry you couldn't get off the plane. The flight line chow at Elmendorf was great! You didn't miss me, though, as I didn't get there until January of '70. Of course, Land O Lakes isn't all that big, so we can't be too far apart now!
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 03:21 AM   #34
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by washley1

Michael, sorry you couldn't get off the plane. The flight line chow at Elmendorf was great! You didn't miss me, though, as I didn't get there until January of '70. Of course, Land O Lakes isn't all that big, so we can't be too far apart now!
Walt, we will have to get together to trade travel stories...as you said, Land O Lakes is not that big. Michael
Old 12-31-2010, 03:24 AM   #35
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by exav8tr

I will say there are those vets that do not see it as we do. I had my retired Air Force hat on the other day and a lady came up and asked: "You retired Air Force?" My first thought was to deny it and just say I stole the hat, but sometimes I can be a nice guy so I just said yes m'am. I also said I served form '66 to '86, she then asked if I had been to Viet Nam. I told her no. She then said she had been an Army nurse and served two tours there. Then she turned around and walked away before I could even thank her!!!! Takes all kinds!!!!
Phil, I have had peers who would have sneered at the "nurse " in your story for claiming RVN service when her service was "in the rear with all-night-generators!" You are right, it does take all kinds...even those who are not so nice. Michael
Old 01-04-2011, 08:12 AM   #36
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
Gramps:

I served my short (by comparison) 4 year hitch. Like others, followed orders and did my job to the best of my ability. Still work in the career field. Took on many, many additional duties.

Honorably Discharged. Member of Am Legion and past chaplain. Not a member of VFW due to my dates of service (ineligible).

I would like to say as a prior post officer. Most Legions and VFW's are made up of a few Vets and at any given time you can count the active members on one or both hands.

Most of the Legion patrons are made up of guests, members, Ladies Auxiliary or Son's of service members (to include grandchildren of Veterans). As an example: Post has 100 veteran members, I don't think I have ever seen more than 25 ever assembled, this includes meetings and installation of officers. Granted some members maintain their membership even though they have moved away. Majority of patrons are made up of the other groups. Not to include function hall rentals and other outdoor functions.

You can make a difference.

You served your country. You were honorably discharged. You are eligible for membership. You will find many members within these two organizations that share your experiences and circumstances. Salute the flag with pride you've earned that right.