Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-04-2009, 01:18 PM   #1
gitrdun
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4075
Speed Brake

I installed a Banks speed brake on my Duramax. I have pulled my monty with it and it works wonderful.Some of the best money I spent. I would reccommend it to any duramax owner. I went down a grade on I-15 strated at 70. Set braking speed at 57 and it did not go over that and I did not touch the brake. Check it out. Talk about saving brakes on Monty and tv.

gitrdun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 02:35 PM   #2
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
I installed a Banks exhaust brake and love the results. Between the Duramax trailer mode and the exhaust brake, the rig takes downgrades without having to use the mechanical brakes hardly at all.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 07:05 AM   #3
azleflyer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9140
I've been looking into the speed brake and wondering if it would be worth the money. It sounds like it may be. "Gitrdun , what year is your truck and what engine do you have? Also, is it better than the Tow/Haul mode that comes standard with the truck?
azleflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 09:51 AM   #4
gitrdun
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4075
Mine is an 05 LLY the brake will work on 04 1/2 LLY up. It is very well worth the money. Belive me I have installed guite a few gadgets and this is no gadget it is the real thing. Yes it is better than the tow haul, it locks your torque converter and will not let the rpms go above 3800 factory states 4200 rpm. In wet roads the system wil work with the brake system and dissengage when ther is a difference of traction.
gitrdun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 05:27 PM   #5
tehachapatch
Established Member

M.O.C. #6011
I just installed the SpeedBrake on my 2006 Duramax LLY. This uses the LBZ model since the LLY and the LBZ engine were the same in 2006. There was some delay in certifying this version but the just recently released it for sale. Haven't towed the rig with it yet, but I can tell from the way it works so far that it's going to make a huge difference on those 8% grades. It was an easy install, less than an hour, no problems. Can't wait for the next trip to the Sierras.
tehachapatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 04:47 AM   #6
cmawendy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9222
We have the PAKS brake on our dodge and LOVE it!!
cmawendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 08:55 PM   #7
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I have heard good things about Banks or other brand air braking systems - they work on the same principles as semi-truck air brakes in that they retard the exhaust which stifles the engine whereby slowing the vehicle down. Alas, with the tow/haul mode on my Ford truck I cannot install a supplemental braking system because it conflicts with the tow/haul function on my truck.

I have searched to no avail but does anyone know of a company that has a brake system like what is offered by Banks for my model year and make of truck - 2006 Ford F-250 and does not require elimination of the tow/haul mode? I like the tow/haul because it also increases the transmission shifting while towing or carrying heavy loads especially on up and down hills so I really don't want to eliminate it.

Currently I use the tow/haul mode but when traveling downhill I do have to mash on the brake until it finally figures out to downshift. I would prefer a system that does not require me to step on the brake.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 08:57 AM   #8
thor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6133
how does the banks brake work in a panic stop.when some one pulls in front of you then stops how does it work then?
thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 10:08 AM   #9
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art-n-Marge

Currently I use the tow/haul mode but when traveling downhill I do have to mash on the brake until it finally figures out to downshift. I would prefer a system that does not require me to step on the brake.
I really like the tow/haul mode on my truck. It’s a little older but I believe the function would still be the same. I don’t mind it if I have to use the brakes a little, it feels pretty good whenever the tow/haul takes over and it starts slowing the rig down. I don’t think using the brakes for that will cause any additional wear on the brakes to amount to anything. I also find that you don’t have to “mash” on the brakes it will downshift when you just barely touch at them at least that is the way it works on my truck.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:21 AM   #10
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by thor

how does the banks brake work in a panic stop.when some one pulls in front of you then stops how does it work then?
I have the Banks Exhaust Brake on our '95 F-250. It works well in normal stops but does nothing in a panic stop. By "nothing" I'm saying that it doesn't have time in a panic stop to provide any braking assistance. Any exhaust brake works to retard the exhaust thereby slowing the vehicle. That's a simple way of saying it. I wouldn't be without an exhaust brake but I wouldn't have one with the thought of using it for panic stops.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 12:52 PM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Art, your Ford should downshift in tow/haul without you doing anything. On my 2005 Ford 6.0 it would downshift if speed increased more than about 4 or 5 mph and I was not giving it throttle input. If in cruise, it would downshift a little bit sooner, again if no throttle input. That only worked if in Drive, though. If you manually downshift then it may not work (not positive but have read about that).

I agree with those who say the exhaust brake really adds to the downhill braking. My Dodge came with a factory installed exhaust brake (all 2007 and later Dodges with the Cummins come with an exhaust brake standard). At any downhill less than 6% I sometimes have to give it some throttle because it slows too much. That's with both exhaust brake and tow/haul engaged. So, although I think tow/haul on the Ford and Dodge do a really nice job, the exhaust brake just improves the performance. I have not towed with GM so cannot speak to that but I've seen others post similar results.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 12:55 PM   #12
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
OK first I dont want to start a back bitting reply so dont take this wrong, OK.
If most of you that have had the exhost brake added to the duramax, I thought they all had the allison trans where that install was not necessary and the trans did all the work. my friend has the GMC D/A truck and he doesnt need the exhost brake to slow down hir truck and trailer he says his trans does it all. I guess most of the installs are for earlier trucks is that right.
Old 06-29-2009, 01:53 PM   #13
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I'm a Ford person so I don't know about other vehicles. However, I had understood that the exhaust brake addition to a Duramax/Allison didn't provide a lot of additional help. Can someone enlighten me? I know the addition of the exhaust brake to the Dodge trucks is a great help, so says my son who worked for Chrysler for 35 years.

Orv
Old 06-29-2009, 02:17 PM   #14
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Trailer Trash 2

OK first I dont want to start a back bitting reply so dont take this wrong, OK.
If most of you that have had the exhost brake added to the duramax, I thought they all had the allison trans where that install was not necessary and the trans did all the work. my friend has the GMC D/A truck and he doesnt need the exhost brake to slow down hir truck and trailer he says his trans does it all. I guess most of the installs are for earlier trucks is that right.
You are correct.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 04:28 PM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Don, the tow/haul in the GM transmission is very similar to that in the Ford and in your and my Dodge. You know how in your Dodge, the tow/haul downshifts going down hills and that helps slow you down? From my experience it does a good job. But you know how when you hit that exhaust brake button on the dash in your Dodge it slows things down even quicker, especially when also in tow/haul? That's what these folks adding an exhaust brake will do for them. Of course, you and I know their best bet is to just go by the Cummins in the Dodge with the builtin exhaust brake, but we won't say that here and get everyone upset! (Sorry, guys, just couldn't resist)
Old 06-29-2009, 04:48 PM   #16
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Read about the Speed Brake but haven't seen one work. The Truck we have has the Pac brake system with two settings, and works great. Just be careful when bob-tailing when on wet roads, snow/Icy etc. It does save your OEM brake system. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 04:31 AM   #17
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
Have Tow/Haul, Duramax/Allison and Banks Exhaust Brake
I never use my truck brakes on any mountain grade, not even the Ridge Route in S. Ca.
Exhaust brake works great with the combination.
helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 07:58 AM   #18
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
They sure do work, and another thing that I've noticed when we were on our vacation are signs on the Hwy restricting the use exhost brakes in residental areas, I do know that the big rigs arn't supose to ues them, and that law has been there fo a long time but I never saw signs posted like they are now.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:53 AM   #19
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Don, the exhaust brake in your Dodge is so quiet I doubt anyone would even realize you have it turned on. I quit worrying about those signs because I think their intent is to reduce noise and mine makes less noise than many car mufflers.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:41 AM   #20
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Those signs were put up to keep semis from using their jake brakes because of the noise they cause. Our exhaust brakes aren't even noticed. I think the fact that you notice the signs more now is because you are aware that you have an exhaust brake and think that the sign means you. Don't worry about it.

Orv