Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-09-2009, 08:38 PM   #1
Sinterior
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9238
Hi from a newbie to this forum

Hi, I just joined the forum tonight because DW and I are seriously looking at an '09 Montana 3400RL Anniversary edition. (the floorplan fits us to a T) It's only been used for 3 months and the owners traded for a park model. I know and trust the dealer, having purchased from him before, a different brand, so that's not an issue, but they don't sell Keystone products.
I know how to do a search but didn't find any quick answers, so.....please bear with me.
Are there any common problems with this model? Or Montana's in general?
Are disc brakes a worthwhile upgrade after market?
Any suggestions on what to look for before buying?
I know that many years ago hydraulic slides were a big problem, but a lot of manufacturers seem to have gone this route again...have these problems been resolved?
My current fiver is a Travelaire Genesis, basically identical to a Titanium (Glendale) which is now out of our price range, only built in Alberta, Canada. We have had basically zero problems with our fiver and want to go bigger, and are believers in preventative maintenance.
I know I have to get another TV, upgrade to a dually....should have done that right from the bat, but, who knew that we would want to go from a 1 slide 10k fiver to a 4 slide 15k+ fiver! Boat people call it two foot itis.
I guess it's called retirement.

Thanks in advance to any responses.

Peter

Sinterior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 12:33 AM   #2
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Peter,
Welcome to the forum. You came to the right place for answers. I'm fairly new also and I'm sure you will get answers to all your questions. We have a 3665SA. Our models are similar in weight. I have no problems stopping and I see no need right now for disc brakes. We've been out on two short weekends so far and have had no problems. Everything works as advertised. You can download a POI from this website. It's a good list for when you do your walk-thru inspection. We tow with a dually and I like the peace of mind with the bigger truck.
We'll be at the Northeast rally in Byron, NY at the end of May. Come and join us.
Jim
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 02:48 AM   #3
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Peter,
Another welcome to the forum. We have a 2007 3400 and pull it with a Classic 2007 3500 Silverado dually. We travel occasionally and have pulled the rig with no problems (other than the Mission tires - see other threads). We have pulled for 15 hours non-stop attimes and other shorter trips as well. We have had occasional hiccups with the rig but we purchased an extended warranty with $0 deductible so we are covered for 6 additional years. There are personal choices we made that may be different than your needs, but all-in-all we are extremely satisfied with the rig. Keep us informed with your choice.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 03:01 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
It is doubtful that you will have zero problems with any brand camper these days. Most of us will agree that the Montana is a great bang for the buck. This forum is a huge resource for any problem you may have. We do not know about the disc brake upgrade but there are some who have done that. If the price and the floor plan are right the 3400 will be a good choice.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 03:11 AM   #5
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Welcome to the Moc forum and personaly (I'm bias) I think you are looking at an excellent coach. We have a late 06 3400rl and we are just weekenders and vacationiers. Based upon the preceeding statement we still have the original Mission tires but based on numerous post of people are having problems with them, I would suggest you try to swing a deal with the dealer for another brand. As previous poster suggested the forum here has an excellent PDI list to print off and utilize. There are a lot of mod's people have done and the forum has a list of those, but these are not deal breakers. Things like adding a strap to further protect the spare tire, check the plastic electric carrage strap under the slides (these tend to break at piviot point) unless Keystone has changed this with later models. Also on my particular year I have had to add an additional 50 resetable breaker to the slide motor as it would pop and you would have to wait a few seconds before proceeding to operate the slides. But once again later Montana's may not have that problem. I must say I have had very few issues other than having to have they slides adjusted when it was new. I just don't think you can go wrong on this model. Good luck and come back here often to keep us informed or ask some of these "full timers" what they have experienced.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 04:44 AM   #6
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Welcome to the forum and the MOC family Peter. As our sig. indicates we too have a 3400 and pull with a dually. Both the DW & I love this set up and after 3 previous 5ers we think we have found the best floor plan in the 3400. Yes you will have a few problems with your Montana but certainly we agree you will get the best bang for your buck in the Montana line of trailers. Being an active member of this forum will be a real asset during ownership. Most any problem can be resolved with the info you will garner from this forum. Keep us posted!
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 12:57 PM   #7
TAKPAK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8238
Peter, we think your choice is good. DW and I bought an '07 3400 last year, new off the lot. It was a show demonstrator. After looking at several other brands, and all the floor plans that Montana had, we just kept going back to the 3400 again and again. Finally decided that was the one for us. Had it out several times for weekend trips earlier last year, then did a two week stint on the road. Absolutely loved it. The four slides and the largeness of the trailer allow us "room" to move around. Only problem we've had with ours was the shower leaking. That seems to be problematic with ALL brands, as the one we had before (SOB) before leaked as well. Seems the factory just doesn't seal well around the joints. It IS an easy fix, and since this is a "used" one, may have already been done. The only other thing that has happened was all the cabinet glass "safety liner" material delaminated, but the factory covered that under warranty. We have the fireplace, which we thoroughly enjoy. We've done some minor "mods" to ours too, including trading places (like others have done)with the recliners and the sofa. We love it, and plan to do some travelling this year, after I retire in June! We pull ours with a GMC K3500 Duramax/Allison SINGLE rear wheels (daily driver) and have had no problems.
2015 GMC Sierra 4X4 3500 SRW
TAKPAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 12:59 PM   #8
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
We have the Big Sky 340RLQ which is basically the same floor plan. We have been full timing in it for 21 months. Any problems we have had have been handled by the warranty. Minor construction issues, I have addressed myself. I don't know what problems hydraulic slide mechanisms have had in the past, but neither my 2003 nor my 2008 demonstrated any problems. I suspect that disc brakes are a plus, but not sure they are worth the investment, but those who have done the change would disagree. Larger units (4 slides) and all the upgrades since you old unit was built would mean there are more stuff to go wrong, but the pluses in lifestyle make it worth it. We really enjoy our unit and highly recommend the 3400 RL.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 02:33 PM   #9
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Welcome, Peter. We have an '05 3400 that is now in its fifth year of service. To date, we have had a few minor issues (replaced the remote thermostat, speakers, stereo system) that Keystone has already remedied in the newer models. Keystone really listens to their customers. We had a motor fail for the front legs. That is about it. The 3400 Montana/340 Big Sky is the most popular model that is made by Montana. Almost 50% of the units made in years past were 3400's. A few members like Exav8tr have put on disc brakes. I'm sure they will weigh in here shortly. The '09's are not significantly different than the new '10's coming out. The hydraulic slides have been a non-issue for most. The biggest thing to watch for is that the doors don't open and get caught between the slides when they are opening. Good luck with your decision.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 02:43 PM   #10
Army Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5508
I'll also chime in - welcome to the forum, as you can see, it is a great resource. I also have an 06 3400 and love the floor plan. I haven't had any real issues except with the mission tires, which since have been replaced. As stated, I'm sure you will find small issues in about any type of rig but this place will help you solve them. Take care and safe travels.
Army Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 03:50 PM   #11
rving2us
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7880
The 3400 is probably the best floor plan out there with possible exception to the rear entertainment unit. Murf and I have been pulling a 300RK since 8/06, we are weekenders and vacationers but have put on pretty close to a little over 10,000 miles since hooking this 5ver up. So far Montana is by far our choice both now and in the future. Good luck with your choice and welcome to the forum.
rving2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 06:48 PM   #12
Sinterior
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9238
Thank you very much for the welcome and your comments, we did sign a deal on the 3400Rl today and really look forward to using and enjoying it, and becoming an active member on this forum.
Just a couple more questions if you all don't mind......I'm sure I'll have many more in the future.
1. One big reason for us upsizing is the washer/dryer option, and we are wondering which is the best route to go, a combo unit or stackables? Going combo does leave a little room for jackets and hats etc etc. There are only the two of us almost 100% of the time, and we average 3-4 months a year on the road the past four years (summer travel) and plan on wintering in warmer climates starting this coming winter.
2. DW is not very impressed with the matress on the bed (king) so we're looking for a replacement and can't find one with the curved bottom anywhere...suggestions on where to buy one and the bedding?

Again, thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions.

Peter and Terry (Teresa)
Sinterior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 01:35 AM   #13
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
We have the combo unit and like it so far. It takes a while to do a load but we aren't in any hurry.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 01:50 AM   #14
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Congratulations on the new 3400RL!
You will enjoy all of the extra room and amenities that it has to offer.
I simply love the fire places that they have in some of the models, just can’t get over how real the fire looks!
Old 04-11-2009, 02:45 AM   #15
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
You might try a memory foam mattress on top of the one you have. A lot of us have done that and are pleased. Others will b e along to tell of their solutions. You can also do a search for mattress and you will find a lot of postings. (the search feature is at the top right corner)
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 02:57 AM   #16
paperheart
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7541
With a really nice memory foam, you won't even know you have a bad mattress. I didn't even cut the corners off mine tho some people have done so with an electric knife. I found that it just rolled down over the corners in the mattress pad and looks fine.
We love the way our mattress feels now. Our memory foam is one that has the different zones. It was a $400 one on a half price sale then a coupon discount also.
Paperheart
paperheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 05:43 AM   #17
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
Welcome to the forum. This is just the best place on the net. Great people make this a great place.
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 09:26 AM   #18
billhoover
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7895
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by NCFischers

We have the combo unit and like it so far. It takes a while to do a load but we aren't in any hurry.
Same here. We also like the space the combo gives us.
billhoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 01:48 PM   #19
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
We put a 3 inch memory foam topper and are now pleased with it. We have both a washer and dryer and like the fact that we can wash and dry at the same time. However everything in these rigs is a trade off. The combo takes longer but gives you extra storage.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 03:46 PM   #20
dannyl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4190
Welcome to the forum.
I have a 2008 3400 and enjoy it. As with all 5er's you will have a few minor issues but after a shackdown campout your dealer will take care of any problems.
I haven't had any problems with slides or brakes or tires yet.
We didn't go with the washer/dryer but put a refrigerator in that space. When we go out on extended trips a quick trip now and then to the wash doesn't take up too much time.
I have seen the new models and love the new trip package. Looks really good.
ENJOY
dannyl is offline   Reply With Quote