Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-08-2009, 11:11 AM   #1
fredb54
Established Member

M.O.C. #4440
decals peeling off

The decals on our 2006 Montana are starting to peel off. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Sandee

fredb54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 03:20 PM   #2
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
I believe you will find a previous post on this. Some had to buy new,others had them replaced under a warranty. If you do a search you will find the post on it
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 03:52 PM   #3
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Welcome to the decal peeling club!
There has been more than one incident where decals have been peeling. Ours was peeling when we got it used. We have a 2002 model.

Old 03-08-2009, 04:52 PM   #4
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
I had my front one start peeling last year. Call them last month and asked for customer service. I was told to sent pictures of peeling decal and the model and Vin#. They called back and ask if I could do it myself, which I could, they sent it to me in a week.

Good luck.
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 07:44 PM   #5
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
As you will soon see, some of us were lucky in getting help with the problem of inferrior plastic decals on our Montana's, and others that told too bad out of warrintee. but all you have to do is ask and do it over the phone, there not good with documentation and pictures that I sent to them two years ago.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:48 AM   #6
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Our "Montana" decal on the front cap went bad and Keystone sent us a replacement free. We just have to put it on...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 06:18 AM   #7
akf15e
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9143
Fred,

It's a known Keystone Montana/Mountaineer problem. Ought to be a recall in my opinion. My 03 peeled within 2 years. I should've contacted Keystone first, but went straight to a local dealer and had him order me the front set. $125, did it myself in about 4 hours. Goes on easy - it's taking the old one off that is so painful. Do this on a warm day so the old one comes off easier and the new one is more pliable when putting on.

My new 09 3400RL (still sitting on the lot) is already peeling, which is why it will sit there until it is replaced.

On a good note, I talked to the Keystone rep at the RV show last week. They have a new supplier and longer warranty for the 2010 models. We'll see how that works out.

The good news is it is my biggest/only major beef wiht the Keystone product, so that says a lot about the rest of the rig.
akf15e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 10:16 AM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
So, is the problem with the decals, with the glue, or with the preparation of the surface prior to installation? I doubt any of us know the answer but I wanted to pose the question.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 04:13 PM   #9
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I think we can eliminate the "surface prep" angle, Steve. My "mountain" graphics just below my "Montana" graphic on the cap are virtually flawless - looks like the day they should look like coming out of the factory, while the Montana graphic is peeling, cracking and falling off to a SPECTACULAR degree.

Maybe the glue on the back of the decal, but the glue would be part of the decal mfr process. I believe we are looking at a very poor quality vendor for SOME of the Montana/keystone graphics.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 05:51 PM   #10
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dsprik

I think we can eliminate the "surface prep" angle, Steve. My "mountain" graphics just below my "Montana" graphic on the cap are virtually flawless - looks like the day they should look like coming out of the factory, while the Montana graphic is peeling, cracking and falling off to a SPECTACULAR degree.

Maybe the glue on the back of the decal, but the glue would be part of the decal mfr process. I believe we are looking at a very poor quality vendor for SOME of the Montana/keystone graphics.
Same thing on my 2008 3400RL 15 months old and the Montana graphic is peeling and cracking pretty bad, the mountain graphic is still looking good, I thought if I give it another couple months I won't have to bother taking off the montana graphic it will just fall off then I can put a new one on or just leave it off and not worry about it.

I would love to have the front cap graphics air brushed, painted or whatever you call it but probably cost more than its worth.

I will take pictures and send to Keystone ,and replace it one more time, after that if it comes off or peels, its going to stay off.

PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 05:46 PM   #11
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Some great information for anybody interrested in getting off the UGLY GLUE LINE from the receding decals. I stumbled across this stuff, and it takes all the work out of removing the glue with no hard rubbing either. the products name is "Goof Off" Professional Strength! The Ultimate Remover. it removes adhesives & labels, dried latex paint, marker and crayon, gum and candel wax, 1-877-goof-off or www.goof-off.com in a Arersol can, as you all know that most of my decals are receeding and it looks terrable on our Montanas mine have receeded 3/4 to 1 inch all the way around, this stuff works and I will buy some more because the one can only did part of my Monty, care must be taken not to get on the window putty cause it will work on that stuff to. I'll post some pictures whe I can on this post probably tomorrow or the next.

Don
Old 03-15-2009, 07:08 PM   #12
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Don-- If you have a Dollar General around where you are, check with them before ordering more on-line! I think we got our can of Goof Off at DG. Works gret as you said!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 05:05 AM   #13
azranger
Established Member

M.O.C. #7203
Goo Gone Extreme works well also. You can get it in the paint section of Walmart for under 3 dollars a can (11 oz). You have to apply liberally, wait a few seconds, then use a plastic putty knife to pool and remove most of it. I used isopropyl alcohol to clean the remaining residue.
azranger is offline   Reply With Quote