Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 11-26-2008, 08:45 AM   #21
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Richfaa, After pulling for 18 months and seeing others pull (RV's that is), I tend to agree with you that there should be some sort of training or certification test involved. Maybe not as extensive as a CDL, but at least those things that keep you safe. Of course, if that was to happen, a large portion of MH drivers would probably be grounded, from what I have seen so far. I'm sure a lot of 5er and trailer towers would get the boot also. Think of the jobs such a requirement would create, Trainers, Certifying officials and chauffers. Let's send this in to the president elect.......

exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 10:48 AM   #22
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The where with all to do testing and certification already exist within the CDL program.It would not take much to adapt he CDL course to RV'ers The State programs that we have seen are modeled after the CDL requirements. I see Ohio going to a RV testing program in the near future.
Yes some RV'ers would be grounded and they should be but others will receive the training necessary to make them safer and more knowledgeable drivers.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 10:48 AM   #23
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
I read this line of thoughts with much interest and am in agreement with most everything said. A piece of paper does not make one a better driver. And years of driving doesn't either. Common sense and ability is perhaps the most important. In my past business of water well drilling I was licensed to drive anything on the road except a haz waste tanker. Then I changed occupations and was transferred to Canada. They do not recognize the US CDL and was only licensed to drive a car and a motorcycle here in BC. I could not even drive a 15 pass van and this after completing an extensive bus driving course and driving bus in the US.
So here in BC I took the written and road test so I could drive the van.
It is mandatory here to pass a "heavy" endorsement to pull a rv over about 10,300#. Perhaps this is a good thing. But it would be nice if they recognized the US CDL licenses.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 11:40 AM   #24
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Well back when rv'ing was pulling a small camper or popup there wasn't a big need for driver education. But today with some of the larger 5th wheels and Travel Trailers and even some Motorhomes, I can see a need for qualification's to pull these things down the highways. I had a Class A and jumped in it when I bought it without any experience and didn't have a clue of how it handled (was somewhat top heavy) along with manuvering. I did have some larger trailer experience when I got my 5th wheel but still took some adjustments to the length, backing and stopping. I know this is not going to set well with some people, but I do not have any problem with having to demonstrate to authorities my abilities to handle the Monty and be qualifed with a certificate stating such.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 03:06 AM   #25
billhoover
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7895
I get tired of all the 'weight police' comments, too. The interesting part about those comments is that most are made by those towing over weight...like bad mouthing the alleged WP will some how validate what they are doing.
billhoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 09:19 AM   #26
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave

I have researched the weight thing considerably as regards the weights that my general operator's license allows and as regards the various axle ratings, etc. I try to stay within all of them. I weigh the rig at provincial highway scales when they are unattended. The officers leave the scales operating and the display on, which I appreciate.

In my life, I have driven tow vehicles for aircraft (with 747's and other planes attached, some while firing up their engines, which offers some steering and speed control challenges) and straight trucks. Nonetheless, towing the Monty is different and my experience didn't really qualify me for it. I wouldn't mind a special license for RV towing - maybe three variants: A-TT, A-MH and A-5 - for towing RV's above some value of combined gross weight, say, 20,000lbs? The driving test would be in one's relevant rig. The requirement for such a license might spawn some training establishments. Maybe some of you all could work as instructors!

KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 11:59 AM   #27
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

Phil (Indy) What you say is absolutly correct. You know those things because you have professional training. Most RV drivers do not. Except for the rules of the road that all drivers follow the Rv driver can pull any size or weight RV without a second of training (in most States) It is my opinion that the RV driver should be able to demonstrate driving skills and be aware of the capabilities of their trucks and campers. Now am not saying that the CDL holder is a better driver I am saying that he /she has more training and experience ..how they use that is another story.
Gotta disagree with the statement I hilited above. I have never had a CDL, didn't need one back in my days of trucking. I have much more pratical experience than many of these so called trained/experienced CDL licensed drivers. If you need proof just hang around some of those Flying J truck stops for an hour or so. I have seen fully CDL licensed truckers sideswipe poles, pumps and even other trucks just puling in and out of the truck stop. Now put that same "trucker" out on the Interstate with a fully loaded trailer and he becomes an accident waiting to happen. Training and getting that almighty CDL means nothing to many of these "truckers". They stuff that CDL in their wallet and drive like maniacs hoping to get down the road and make that delivery just to collect a pay check.
NOW, I am NOT saying ALL CDL truckers are bad drivers but in any group you still have a good number of "A" holes.

IF the state of Florida decided to require all Florida licensed RVers to get specific training for the rig they are driving or pulling I would be the first one in line.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 12:39 PM   #28
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
The main reason for the CDL was to stop OTR drivers from having a Driver Lic. issued by several different States, speeding tickets, Dui's etc. And supposely to have a more Professional driver and I really don't think that has happened. However it did stop Drivers from getting more than one Lic. It is also expensive to maintain a CDL Class A Lic with more than one indorsement, like Haz Mat, Tankers, Triples, Doubles etc, and I have had all the indorsements at one time. You must also maintain a Medical Cert. And have a Physical every two years, and retest on the Haz Mat every two years. I have had a Commerical since I was 21 years old. Don't know if it made me a better driver but it was a requirement to drive a Truck. My State the requirement was you had to have a Chaffeurs Lic. until the CDL requirement came along. I have also taught the CDL Lic test and Trained Truck drivers. I can assure there are some very unprofessional Truck drivers on the road today, and there are some very Professional drivers on the road today, and some of us have more than a Million miles and no accidents. But to drive a Class 8 Truck is to complete a 6 week drivers training course and have a clean driving record. Its just to easy to get a Commerical Lic. Now the question is do you think the average RVer will spend that much time and money to get a CDL, my answer is no. But I do think Training is needed for some, or at the very least a road Test of some type. A written test is just too easy, and you can't teach common sense. But do you want more Government. I will say when we had to take a Test to get a CDL Lic we lost a lot of good old drivers, they could drive a Truck but just couldn't pass the written test, the education level just wasn't there for some. How many out there know how many questions are on the written test for a CDL? I suggest you go to your DOT and get the Professional drivers training and testing book and read it and see just how smart you really are, just kiding, however it is very interesting just to see what is required. Should we all have a Class A lic. I can't answer that, and really don't want to say you should have a Class A lic. Do we really want more requirements and (COST). GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 01:01 PM   #29
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
I'd say that the written test is redundant. An oral test with the same person administering the road test would be satisfactory.
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 11:57 PM   #30
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Do we really want more requirements and (COST). If it will make safer drivers out of us RVers than YES. It would also prevent anyone with the ways and means of buying a big rig when the biggest vehicle they ever drove was a Buick. Ever see some brand new RVer in a campground trying to pull into a pull thru. I have and after 15 minutes of maneuvering they still nearly ripped their awning off. The driver finally asked my neighbor to pull it in for them.

NO, I don't want to spend the money for a CDL but than again I do feel that any RVer should be required to take a driver training course for the particular type RV they will be using. For all intent and purpose I would have a 5th wheel endorsement but not a motor home.
I also realize that many many older RVers will not pass just because of their reaction time to an emergency situation. It's not unlike some of the older generations still diving a car. If they had to react to a sudden stop in traffic there would be an accident. My own dearly departed mother, at age 70, realized this and gave up her license. She lived into her 90s and had she not given up that privilege she would have been lucky to survive her 70s.
Same thing applies to some, but not all, handicapped drivers. Some can barely lift their legs to get in the vehicle. How easily would they be able to lift that leg to apply the brake?

Would I be willing to pay a fee, take a medical exam and repeat this every 2 years??? Absolutely!!
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 02:18 AM   #31
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
I have to ask Rich, if you had to do a CDL test to drive the 5er, who would back it in for you. (just kidding Rich!)
Could you get a partial CDL for forward driving and then some one else do the back in part?
If you remember, we only had one chance to back up with the bus, I don't very often do it the first time in my rig.
Would you be allowed to have your spouse behind the rig giving hand signals as we do now?
We had to parallel park a school bus, but I know if I could do it with my Montana!
There would be so many questions and with today's bureaucrats trying to put some kind of regulation together, our kids may have to worry about it, but not most of us.
I agree there should have been some kind of training when the rig is first purchased, maybe by the dealership, but then finding the qualified people as instructors, would be even a bigger problem than we already have!

The above response was mho!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 07:17 AM   #32
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
I hope there are no politicians reading this forum...if so, we'll have mandatory CDL training and licensing requirements before we know it. They'll see an oportunity to add another fee/tax/licensing requirement to us lowly tax payers.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 02:45 AM   #33
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
As you know Steve Helen backs this thing up far more than I do. We avoid backing up whenever we can. I remember from my CDL/school bus training that 60% plus of all accidents occur when backing up. We took the same school bus and CDL training in Ohio. I took my testing in Willard, Ohio. The company I drove for required 22 hours of classroom and drivers training before we took the test. I had never heard of a "slack adjuster" or could name every part of a air brake before the CDL training. I learned how to "stab brake" As I recall the CDL test was right turns, left turns, Alley dock, serpentine back, parallel parking, road test and pre trip. Hit the cone on a right or left turn and it was a flunk. Up over a curb on the road test and it was a flunk. Points off for being to close to the front or rear cone on the parallel park and as I recall the space was 2 feet longer than the bus. I have parallel parked a bus once in the 9 years since the test and not in the first try. I could never figure out why the serpentine back till I had to back out of a crowded bus parking area at Cedar Point.
We do a physical ever year for the school bus cert. I flunked mine this year because my blood pressure was to high. I was not aware of that and would not have got medical help if not for the physical requirement. We are good now... How many RV drivers would be medically disqualified from driving if held to CDL requirements.

I do not suggest that a "Commercial" drivers license-be required to operate a RV bt at least a endorsement tunned to RV driving. The State endorsement I have seen are modeled after the CDL testing but NOT a CDL license. I have a MC endorsement where I had to demonstrate my skills and knowledges. Why not the same with RV's. As said the bureaucracy for doing that already exist. Might have to hire more folks and the result would be a better educated, aware and safer RV'er. If one can not meet the Knowledge, skills or medical requirements they have no business being on the road. Many have no business anyway.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:12 AM   #34
Bob Pasternak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #800
Send a message via ICQ to Bob Pasternak
Sounds like Rich was in what was generally a layout for a "truck roadeo", The ones I competed in in FL had a couple other setups. Take 10 styrofoam cups, turn them upside down put tennis balls on them, put them in 2 lines 24" apart. Now run your right hand wheels between the rows. Don't knock off any balls. In backing maneuvers, ie. parlell parking, you're allowed one pull up. Had to paralell park a 45' tlr in a 48' hole and be even distance front to back. Check a rig with 7 known defects: cotter pin missing from a clevis on a slack adjuster.Cracked lens on an ID light. And you specified if it was a marker light or an ID light. On distance things, over 6", you blew it, touch it, you blew it.
Bob Pasternak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 03:36 AM   #35
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Yes Bob...Fun and really demonstrates your driving skills and knowledges. I do the Rodeo every Year.The company I drive for now requires it and pays for it.

How about the "winter driving course" You are put out in a huge frozen field and try to do figure eights / 360's or slide sideways through a set of cones slightly larger than the bus.. I like the Obstacle course. Were the tester beside you or behind you and with a sea of Orange cones in front of you will say..floor it, hits the stop watch then at the last possible min will call..turn left..turn right weaving between the cones. You are scored on the time and the number of cones you run down. We had a tester that would set a coke bottle on the floor then have you go through a series of turns without causing the bottle to fall over.. How about a RV rodeo?????