Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-30-2008, 11:37 AM   #21
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Well what ever, it doesn't make a difference, if its required I will get it. But it want happen, can you not see all the problems. Things like this just isn't a problem for me. As greener said $5.00 dollar and and you have a permit. So easy, I thinks its to easy I think all RVer's even the one's pulling a pop up should have a CDL. I also have never seen a RVer who has been stopped and checked and given a ticket for weight, they would have to put it on a portabel scale. (Read wadcutters post about weights). And Federal law trumps State laws. So how does another State put a indorsement on my Tennessee Commerical lic, its not going to happen.

As for a 1 ton Truck pulling a Big Montana being over weight. My 2008 Chevy 3500 1 ton 4x4 pulling a Mobile Suites the Cat Scale weight is 24,400 thats less than 26,001. The weights at a DOT stations is based on axle weights. As I said before if your State requires you to have a indorsement, then get one if your State doesn't require you to have the indorsement don't worry about it. You can always boycott those States. I would be supprise if a State like Florida would start going after RVer's over a drivers lic indorsement. Look at all the MONEY they get from RVer's. GBY....

Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 12:27 PM   #22
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Commercial, Commerical..Our RV's are not commercial vehicles.None of the Federal mandated CDL license requirements apply to a NON- Commercial vehicle. The States do not give a RV endorsement on the CDL license.There is no such thing. The CDL is NOT a State license. The RV endorsement is on the State license. The CDL is of no benefit to a RV driver as they DO NOT HAUL COMMERCIAL. Now if you delivered RV's for A manufacturer to a dealer then you would need a CDL as you would be PULLING FOR HIRE. If Ohio requires a RV endorsement on their State license I will have to get one.But it has nothing to do with my CDL.......

You are subject to the laws of YOUR HOME STATE.. Ohio requires two license plates .. Will a State that requires one plate arrest me???

PA requires a State Inspection...Ohio does not.Do I get arrested when I drive into PA for NOT having a PA inspection?? Ye Gads////

"The Commercial Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1986 was signed into law on October 27, 1986. The goal of the Act is to improve highway safety by ensuring that drivers of large trucks and buses are qualified to operate those vehicles and to remove unsafe and unqualified drivers from the highways. The Act retained the State's right to issue a driver's license, but established minimum national standards which States must meet when licensing CMV drivers. "

"It is important to note that the Act does not require drivers to obtain a separate Federal license; it merely requires States to upgrade their existing testing and licensing programs, if necessary, to conform with the Federal minimum standards"
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 01:51 PM   #23
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mail2us

IMHO...

Those few states that have initiated driver license local endorsements/permits relating to private RV use are doing so in my opinion for revenue purposes only. To suggest that private RV users need to be licensed uniquely is simply acknowledging another state fee and nothing else. Enforcement or safety are code words by a few states to simply gain revenues. To also suggest that RV owners are bad drivers or cause accidents is not documented.
Dennis,

There is no charge for the RV endorsement unless you are within a certain time limit and even then it is just a token charge. This is in CA. I don't know about other states.

Using your logic regarding RV owners...... States should not require anyone to pass a DL test or to even have a DL since this implies they may be bad drivers!

Glenn and Lorraine,

Not all states have reciprocal agreements. I know this from first hand experience. When a nice Texas trooper stopped me and explained that CA and Texas do NOT have such an agreement! Not only that but even if they do have such agreements there are certain features that are not subject to the agreement. Length of rigs is one thing that comes to mind. Another is multiple towing.

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 02:47 PM   #24
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
All are correct.. The Federal Government sets MINIMUM standards for the CDL and they are standard across the country.The State can not do less than required but CAN do more such as length and double or triple towing. What gets confusing is that the CDL is for commercial drivers and of no benefit to the RV driver. In Ohio the State BMV conducts the CDL training and licensing not a third party. I thought it was very good training but defiantly commercial driver oriented. I agree that from what I have seen in the States that require a RV endorsement it is pretty much a joke and for revenue collection only. Also correct about documentation for RV drivers..There is no central data collection point for Rv drivers or RV related incidents. However the CDL driver is documented to death by the Federal Governmnet.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:03 PM   #25
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
My license is in the State of Texas and is a Class A Commercial Drivers License. It gives me the ability to drive any commercial vehicle in accordance to federal laws. Originally I was licensed with a restriction of "No Air," but when the company I was driving for obtaineda vehicle with air brakes, I took a written test (aced it) and the restriciton was lifted.

Now, that same "commercial drivers license," allows me to drive any other automobile that any Class B, or Class C commercial driver license holder drives. It also allows me to drive any automobile in the state of Texas that Joe Q Citizen drives without a commercial drivers license, my CDL suffices.

Now it is a known fact that states have different laws and when we are comparing drivers licenses and what we can drive, really needs to be compared hand in hand with each states laws. If you say a CDL licensed driver in Ohio cannot drive an RV without a different license, so be it, but not in Texas.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 03:26 PM   #26
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Found this web site.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 04:51 PM   #27
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
John, great web site!

Rich, I do respect the research you do, but the state of Ohio BMV does not train for CDL, it tests only. At least here in Miami county. Training is done privately, our school district has qualified people to train for them.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 03:14 AM   #28
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Steve correct.. I got carried away..The State does the testing. I got the training from the company I drove for.

"If you say a CDL licensed driver in Ohio cannot drive an RV without a different license, so be it, but not in Texas."

Wayne//I did not say that as Ohio has no requirement for RV licensing other than the regular Ohio state drivers license. With the Ohio Drivers License you can drive ANY vehicle as long as it is NOT for commercial purposes..just like Texas. We have to understand that the State issued license is actually two licenses in one.. The State of issue license AND the CDL license that allows you to drive a Commercial vehicle in any State.

Re: Texas... http://www.rversonline.org/ArtTXLicense.html

It would appear that Texas requires a CDL because of the weight of the RV..and that CDL is Federal Mandated CDL..same as the one we have and would also allow you to drive Commercial . That is a good thing and I hope that Ohio would do the same thing IF they decide to do it.

The questions that come up are...You are not pulling commercial or for hire. Are you required within the State of Texas to stop and be weighed like the big trucks. I hold a CDL but I drive right by all weigh stations because I am not Commerical...Do I have to stop and be weighed in Texas?? We drove across I -10 in Texas and never stopped??? I think I know the answer.. There are other Governmental agencies that regulate
Commercial interstate commence such as USDOT and FMCSA. Looks like Texas adopted the CDL testing and licensing part but not any of the other entities ..If so that is good.... All very Confusing///
Old 12-01-2008, 04:02 AM   #29
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

.....The questions that come up are...You are not pulling commercial or for hire. Are you required within the State of Texas to stop and be weighed like the big trucks. I hold a CDL but I drive right by all weigh stations because I am not Commerical...Do I have to stop and be weighed in Texas?? We drove across I -10 in Texas and never stopped??? I think I know the answer.. There are other Governmental agencies that regulate
Commercial interstate commence such as USDOT and FMCSA. Looks like Texas adopted the CDL testing and licensing part but not any of the other entities ..If so that is good.... All very Confusing///
Rich,
No. If you are not pulling "commercial" you do not have to stop at the weigh stations.

You do not "have" to possess a CDL to drive an RV. But if you have a CDL you can drive an RV. With that said, Texas actually has 6 classes of licenses. For the average Joe Q Citizen, who may be driving an RV, There is the "Class A," "Class B," and "Class C." These are not to be confused with the other 3 that allow driving a commercial vehicle; "Class A CDL," "Class B CDL," and "Class C CDL."

The first 3 are $24 for 6 years, and the last 3 are $60 for 6 years. Also, if you have a CDL and get a ticket you cannot take defensive driving as an opt-out - you pay the fine. Ask me how I know!!. Since, at my age, I do not plan on driving commercial anymore, I am most likely going to convert to the "Class A," license. I need that class since my RV is 27,000+ pounds.

If you see those MH's going down the road with the "tag" axle (two axles in the rear) they weigh over 40,000 pounds, typically. I wonder if the driver has a proper license. Driving is every driver's safety responsiblilty.

Old 12-01-2008, 08:15 AM   #30
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Wayne said" Texas actually has 6 classes of licenses. For the average Joe Q Citizen, who may be driving an RV, There is the "Class A," "Class B," and "Class C." These are not to be confused with the other 3 that allow driving a commercial vehicle; "Class A CDL," "Class B CDL," and "Class C CDL." Rich Says.. I have a beter understanding now.. I like the way Texas handled that. If you have the Commerical CDL you are good.. If not then you have to get the State required license. That makes sense. That should be a model for States that are thinking of doing that and no matter what our feeling on the subject is, It is a matter of time before they all do it..
Old 12-01-2008, 09:26 AM   #31
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Geez! I hate to do this, but:

I agree with Rich.

Wow! That was almost difficult.
Old 12-04-2008, 02:21 AM   #32
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Well I spoke too soon. First of this week I received in the mail a request from the DMV to secure a doctors report concerning my health issues. So even though they gave me my new lic. I still have to get the dr. report completed! What a pain. Oh, well. We'll get it done. Just hate to have to jump thru the hoops.

Later,

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote