Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-12-2008, 07:47 PM   #21
mopar1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8805
I worked with a guy who's dad worked at Allison's in Indianapolis IN. He said that Chrysler and Allison were in talks about making them a transmission that was different than the GM one but just as strong. They were even building the line for them. The problem at the time was the Dodge truck transmission hump was too small for the transmission to fit. So the deal kind of fizzled out.
As for there merger...!

mopar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 04:12 AM   #22
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
The Cummins would win out over the Duramax. Not a chance and I've had Powerstroke and Cummins of them. When I drive the Duramax I'm amazed how quiet it is. If I wanted to go back to a loud diesel I go out to the garage and get a 5 gal metal bucket and put 8 hammers in it and rattle it. Oh yeah now I remember why I bought the Duramax/Allision. I still get 12 mpg towing.
Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 04:18 AM   #23
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Our son, who has worked for Chrysler for 33 years, says that they are just talks. Chrysler has approached and have been approached by others. There is nothing substantial in the talks. Chrysler has also talked with Volksagen about small cars.
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 06:38 AM   #24
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
My Rational for the Cummings over the Durimax was,if they should merge, which motor would sell better..which motor has a more positive consumer image.Which motor would be most cost effective to manufacturer.It would not be cost effective to build two motors for the same markets. Thus my statemet..If there was a choice..not by myself but by the merged companies..which one would survive????

All of the new Diesels are much quieter than the previous years..even the Cummins.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 07:14 AM   #25
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
My bet is IF they merge, they'll stay with the Duramax and switch Dodge over to the Duramax when the Cummins contract expires. Ford will then pick up the Cummins. They're building their own 6.7L diesel (Ford) now, moving away from Navistar.

However, what does GM want with yet a third truck brand? I'm still surprised they haven't cut down to just one.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 11:41 AM   #26
c5racer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #444
GM probably wants the 11 billion dollars in cash that Chrysler has.
c5racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 11:56 AM   #27
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Good points Steve, the Cummins contract will run out soon and Dodge will have to find another supplier. Navistar builds a awesome Diesel engine, however Ford made changes with the 6.0 and everone has read those horror stories. Now Ford has spend millions on the new in house Diesel, which leads me to believe ford will stay with their new Diesel. Navistar has for years build top of the line Diesel engines but they didn't have all the electronic changes that Ford wanted. So only time will tell, but the Duramax will not be replaced its hear to stay. Today I made a 330 mile trip towing one way and got 11.9 and running empty 17.6. Our 2500HD's got 10.5 to 11 towing and 19 to 20 empty. So the Chevy 3500 DRWs 1 ton is doing better than I though it would with all the emisions junk so I can live with that. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 10:03 AM   #28
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by c5racer

GM probably wants the 11 billion dollars in cash that Chrysler has.
You just let the cat out of the bag. There is speculation GM will keep the Jeep and the mini-vans and do away with the rest of the line up. Terrible for the economy in areas that manufacture Chrysler vehicles.

That is one way to get rid of the competition though.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 10:05 AM   #29
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Guess I better go get one of those new Dodge Challengers tomorrow
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 10:46 AM   #30
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bsmeaton

Guess I better go get one of those new Dodge Challengers tomorrow
Saw one sitting in front of a dealership yesterday; sure takes you back a few years doesn't it?
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 10:52 AM   #31
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Yeppers - I was hoping for the convertible, but if they get bought out it may never come. - or worse - it will be a GM
Old 10-19-2008, 11:07 AM   #32
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Now Gentlemen this is a "Friendly Forum" at least it it suppose to be! I won't comment on either but I will say that is why I bought my 2007 new bodystyle CHEVY! As stated in prior threads-- I'm averaging 12-14 with my Duramax/Allison towing and couldn't be happier!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 01:32 PM   #33
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
If it does happen and I hope it doesn't the working man will lose again. Cummings makes a great motor and is used in many trucks on the road. The Duramax and Allison match will live on, good brand always do. I see my 2005 GMC lasting at least ten more years so I guess I'll make my mind up then as to what move to make. I'd say will all be downsizing by then?
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 01:43 PM   #34
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Well I may just have to say I was wrong, a few days ago I said it would never happen. Cerberus is determined to get rid of Chysler/Dodge. And if GM gets Chylser/Dodge I think there will no longer be a Dodge Truck or anyof the car or mini van lines. I think Jeep will remain, because of its History. And if this happens, it will be a shame, to loose a great Truck engine like the Cummins. But GM doesn't need the competition. I also think GM will eliminate all but the Chevy line of vehicles, hence no Pontiac, Buick or GMC but the Caddy will stay. That is scary, but who do you trust anymore. I had a Cutlass Oldsmobile and now my Son has it with only 36,000 + or - actual miles. This is really a crazy situtation. GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 02:03 PM   #35
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Cash! Everyone here talks about Cummins but gotta say that CASH is what GM is after. C5racer nailed it!

After CASH, many plant closings! The last post is close in my estimation by Delaine and Lindy too. GM will not surrender its Allison/Duramax. Cummins will fade away and so will Dodge if the merger takes place. CASH folk! GM will not embrace or hold Cummins or Dodge. Dennis Just my opinion!
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 02:16 PM   #36
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Delaine and Lindy

I also think GM will eliminate all but the Chevy line of vehicles, hence no Pontiac, Buick or GMC but the Caddy will stay.
I'm not sure that would be a bad thing - they are completely redundant and just add to the inefficiency of GM. Look how much of an improvement there was to production when GM finally consolidated the engine packages in the late 1970s so Pontiac, Buick, Chevrolet, and Olds didn't each have their own motor divisions. Everybody balked when they opened the hood on their Oldsmobile and found a Chev 305 instead of a Rocket 350, but in the end it made much more sense and significantly consolidated assembly.

To me at least, I would think they would be steps ahead to consolidate, but get rid of the redundancy on both sides, keeping the variety each company offers. In other words, Chrysler and Dodge don't both need a minivan but a minivan should stay in the lineup. Jeep and Durango are the same upside down so give up one and keep the other. Of course I never did understand why GM hung onto the Chev/GMC redundancy. Why not keep the Dodge and the Chev instead, and dump the GMC. I won't even talk about Escalade! Remember the old GM Joke -

N = Nova (Chev)
O = Omega (Olds)
V = Venturi (Pontiac)
A = Apollo (Buick)

No matter what the hood ornament says, when you turn it over you still drive a NOVA.

It would be nice if they combined and produced the best of the best and trashed the rest.

Old 10-20-2008, 02:38 PM   #37
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Good strategy scenario Brad! With hybrids and EPA lurking, brand integrity is also a key to the future without giving up the brand name. GMC could go south along the way as you laid out. I like that. Let's go for it!!! On a clear day you can see GM. Remember that book?? or what's going on on the 14th Floor?? Dennis
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 05:46 PM   #38
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I just saw the commercial for the new Dodge 1/2 tonner face lift - that is a GOOD looking truck. I may have to go buy one of those AND a Dodge Challenger and store them for an investment. Couldn't be any more risky than the stock market or real estate .
Old 10-27-2008, 09:21 AM   #39
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I think they're all good trucks. I towed with several Fords and was very happy with them. They did a great job. One magazine article commented the Ford transmission is smarter about when to shift and when to downshift than is the Allison. I have no firsthand experience on that. And it'll be a few years before we know which has the better durability. Neither seems to have transmission problems. The Fords have been on the market since the 2005 model, the Allisons for several years longer.

I drove all three brands at least twice before buying this Dodge. I was and remain very impressed with the Cummins and the new six-speed automatic. The Cummins tows about the same as the Fords did for me but the Cummins does it with far less fuss. It doesn't rev to 3500 rpm going up hills. It can't. Redline is 3200 rpm. If it doesn't just pull on over the hill in top gear, then it will downshift, run revs up to maybe 2700 for about two seconds, then settle down to around 2000 until ready to upshift again. Nice and quiet. Reassuring. And I have found in 41k miles this automatic is far smarter than even the Ford TorqShifts we had and those were excellent. The Dodge tranny seems smarter, though. And the 2007 and later Cummins come with a factory exhaust brake builtin. If we descend, while towing, a grade of 6% or less with exhaust brake on and in tow/haul, I usually have to feed some throttle because it slows me too much. Up to 8% I just let the truck handle the downgrade. At more than 8% I have to give it a couple of seconds of brake maybe every quarter to half mile, depending on the grade. It will be a few years before we know how well the transmission holds up but so far I'm not hearing of any problems.

Bottom line, I think they're all good trucks. With diesel prices so high I'm sure glad I have the Cummins' solo mileage. I think the Duramax towing mileage might be slightly better than mine.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 10:05 AM   #40
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The following was pointed out to me... Dodge/ Chrysler does not build Cummins. Cummins builds Cummins like Ford does not build the power stroke,navistar builds them. GM does build the Durimax so it is unlikely that any other diesel motor would be in a GM truck. In terms of wasting money..tell me why GM builds a Chevy and a GMC truck. I like them all and it makes no difference to me what badge is on my truck as long as it meets my requirements. I am partial however to the Cummins Diesel. The MPG thing is nuts..to many variables. My truck weighs in at 9212lbs ready to tow the 3400 which weighs in at 13,500lbs +/-. The other two comparable trucks are several hundred LBS lighter. If they were all weighed the same and towed the same weight over the same road the MPG difference would be very close..Towing.. maybe the same...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote