Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-14-2008, 07:14 AM   #1
Peg Jack
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8568
Ford F 350

Looking to buy Ford F350 Super Duty DRW 4x4 dully 2006 with 488 rearend. Does anybody have this rig and can you tell me how you feel about it since our new 3400RL will be arriving soon and we are looking at new rigs to pull it. Also what can I expect for gas milage?
Thanks in advance, Jack

Peg Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 09:36 AM   #2
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
will it have a diesel or a v10 ? auto or stick? My friends diesel duelly with an auto gets about 10-12 mpg towing. my f250 with V10 auto gets about 8-10 towing my 2950rk.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 11:15 AM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Peg Jack,

I do not have the TV you are asking about but do have a 2002 7.3PSD 450 dually. It has the 4.88 gears and and automatic tranny. We do not have the 4x4 (wish I did). We get about 10-11 mpg towing.

Good luck.

HamRad

HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 02:02 PM   #4
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
I am an owner of a 2003 F250 4x4 SDW, Extra Cab with 7.3 L Diesel, LB, 3.73 Rear end ratio pulling a late 2006 3400RL. I am quite happy with the combination and if were to upgrade it or buy a new one it would be a F350 SRW with the same engine/rear end ratio but with a Crew Cab. This would solve two issues that we run into with the current model. Would like more pin weight carrying capability (currently using Firestone airbags) and the extra leg room in the back seat for adults. But Ford has had so many problems with the 6.0L Diesel Engine that I won't ever own one. My understanding is the 6.4L Diesel engine is better but still not up the the level of reliability of the older 7.3L Diesel engine I currently have. I mentioned the possibility of trading my current F250 in on a new 2008 F350 recently to my local Ford dealer Service adviser. His response was unequivocal. "Stay with what you have. You will have less trouble." So I'm keeping what I have based a bit on that advise but for several other reasons.

So if you are looking at a unit with either a 6.0 or 6.4 L diesel engine, be extra carefull and make sure it is still under warranty before giving it any consideration at all. Also I would highly recommend studying and understanding how the 4.88 rear end ratio would impact MPG for whatever your overall driving and towing habits will be.
Dean A Van Peursem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 04:11 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
You might wnat to check out this forum for information on Ford diesels of evey year http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php. We have the 08 1 ton 6.4l and have had no problems with it all (13K miles now) The service departments of the two dealers we frequent, one in Ohio and one in Florida said that the start up issues with the new 6.4L have been a fraction of that with the 6.0L. The 3:88 diff sounds a bit light for towing a heavy load..but I am no expert. We also get 10/11 towing the 3400 anchor. 4:10 Diff.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 06:00 AM   #6
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Richfaa,

I think you mean the 4.88 rear end not 3.88. We were very concerned about the 4.88 gears when we were looking for a new truck. Talked with my brother and he said I would be better off with a rear end that could haul more. And indicated that the fuel mileage would be about the same as with a 3.73. The difference in MPG would not be that great. And as it has turned out he was right.

The truck tows great and I am running about the same MPG as I did with the 250 that I had. While I would like to have the newer model truck I am very hesitant to go with the 6.x liter engines. Having had the 4.88 rear end I certainly would go for that again. If I didn't get the 4.88 I'd get the 4.10. My truck does not have the tow/haul feature on it. With the newer models I'd have that. From what I've heard that feature is great. It helps both with towing and with stopping or slowing down coming down a mountain.

HamRad
Old 07-15-2008, 07:07 AM   #7
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
HamRad,

I find your comment about not suffering much on MPG with a 4.88 rear end, very interesting. After reading, with much interest, several threads here on the MOC forum concerning what others were getting on their 2008 Super Duty Ford trucks I had come to the conclusion that a significant part of the reason for reduced mileage on the 2008's was due to the higher ratio rear ends. Now with your comment I need to look at that again. We are running similar rigs in that I'm pulling a late 2006 3400RL with a 2003 F250 4x4 with 7.3L Diesel engine SRW LB Lariat Super Cab with 3.73 Rear end ratio. Even though you are pulling a shorter and not quite as heavy a unit as we are, I'm curious as to what mileage you are getting, since the rear end ratios are so different. Thanks.
Dean A Van Peursem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 10:44 AM   #8
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Dean,

You are correct. We have somewhat similar setups. I will share a bit of my history with the trucks. We started with a PSD 250 2WD. It was a 7.3 with the auto tranny. The 250 was simply not heavy duty enough to deal with the trailer. It pulled the trailer with no problem. The problems were the sag when hooked up to trailer and the multiple transmissions I had to have. I ended up replacing the transmission 3 times. Thankfully all were under the warranty.

In regards to the transmission I try to use cruise control anytime I can. In the 250 the least little uphill bump would cause the tranny to start "searching" for the proper gearing. Of course I would have to take it immediately off of cruise. So I ended up not using the cruise control much of the time. The sag problem was more problematic and I never ended up solving it. I would have had to install air bags or stronger stiffer shocks.

I believe the 450PSD has solved both problems listed above. The sag was solved because the truck is simply very stiff with much heavier duty frame and springs. It also sits at least 4 inches higher than the 250. The cruise control and tranny problem was solved with the 4.88 gearing. The cruise control now works almost to a fault. It will not kick down to the lower gearing until we are in a rather steep hill.

The 450 has exactly the same engine and tranny as the 250.

I was very worried about the 4.88 rear end and had to be talked into getting it because of my brother. He is very mechanically inclined and I trust his judgement in these types of issues. I'm sure I get less fuel mileage because of the gearing but it is almost negligible the way I use the rig. I simply remember that I got the truck for TOWING not for fuel mileage. Of course with the cost of fuel going the way it has we're rethinking the whole RVing thing. Not yet to the point of actually thinking of stopping but certainly one or our long range options.

My rpms show about 22.5 k towing at about 62 - 64 mph. If I had the 3.73 I'd probably be about 17 - 19 k. So of course I'd be getting slightly better mileage.

I wish I'd gotten the 4WD but it was not on the rig I was dealing on. If we ever get another one it will have the 4wd. Not that I'd use it much but there have been a few times it would have made a difference.

What I really want is a HD class 8! Now there is a tow vehicle.

I was pleasantly surprised that the 250 and the 450 got about the same fuel mileage. My best estimate is that I'm getting between 10 and 11 miles per gallon with the 450. We don't have the onboard computer so this is all hand calc.

There was a fellow at the Quartzsite gathering this past January that had a 2007 450PSD. Wow! Was it nice. He had only had it a few months so was still getting used to it. It had all the bells and whistles on it. He was very satisfied with it so far.

Dennis