Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-09-2008, 10:49 AM   #21
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
There you go Steve - that's just what happened to me. I tried to get the Rotella synthetic and it wasn't CJ-4 like you just explained.
Now I remember the shop talking about that.
I ended up with the Rotella T 15W40 and will be there until a good synthetic is available.

Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 07:20 PM   #22
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Randye, I forgot to mention your Dodge's computer will tell you when it's time to change oil. It has some algorithm using engine and oil temperatures, length of trips, loads, etc. With a mix of towing and solo driving, my Dodge has started beeping at me at from 5200 to 5600 miles. It beeps with each start and you have to hit a button to clear the message and it will continue until you reset it. The reset procedure is to turn on the key, engine off, and press the accelerator to the floor three times within ten seconds. Then start the engine and it won't beep until ready for another oil change.

With the Ford, when I went to synthetic I changed oil at every 10,000 miles. The truck had 85,000 when I traded it and still didn't use any oil at all. I liked the 10k mile oil changes because the cost of the filter and 15 quarts of oil cost me %85 to $100. With the Dodge oil filter being less than $5 and the Cummins requiring just 12 quarts, an oil change is under $50. So I don't feel so bad changing it when it says it's time. The Cummins also is still on the full mark at oil change time with no oil additions. Hopefully that's a good sign.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 05:18 AM   #23
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Took my Dodge in on Monday for LOF and asked the tech if I should go with Synthetic since I'm not driving the truck as much right now -- told him I liked what I'd heard about 'start up lubrication remaining longer' using Synthetic. Gentleman is mid 40's; been a Dodge tech for some time, came over from VW in the early-80s when VW dealership here closed. In any case, he told me to wait until I had over 30K on my engine (I have just shy of 28K) - said that Dodge has histories of others that went to Synthetic right off and they were still having low mileage, using some oil, etc. at 50 and 60K miles. Engine just doesn't get enough wear to seat everything real well as quickly with synthetic -- in his words --- "Yes, synthetic is great stuff -- will save a lot of wear and tear on the engine BUT these engines need some of that wear early on to get their best fuel economy". I'd have to say I agree because I drove to Salina on Saturday and (only 145 miles round trip) but when I topped off my fuel at the end I got 19.6 hand calculated - doing 70 solo. Have never gotten that good before - it jumped from a little over 14 to almost 18 at 20K. Of course weather, fuel (#2 or blend) all bear on this.

Gee, once again, I've rambled -- I'm tired - was a long night working on servers so I'll blame it on that -- not that I like to talk (er type) . Everyone - take care.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 06:30 AM   #24
gunner
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6301
I was told by the dealer to use Shell Rotella 15w-40 and that's all that I use. When I take it in to be serviced, I take my own oil with me and the dealer credits me for the cost of the oil. This way, I know exactly what goes in it and no problems so far. Of course, it only has 16k miles on it.
gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 03:03 PM   #25
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Skypilot, having grown up not far from where you live (Wamego), I know that this time of year you are filling up with winterized diesel, which gets less mileage than summer diesel. So, when they make the switch back to summer diesel you may see another increase.
Old 03-16-2008, 05:52 AM   #26
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Steve: So true. Winter diesel (blended diesel) never has given us the same miles per gallon as #2 (summer diesel). Not only that but this ULS diesel gives even less. Had the opportunity to get some LSD (neighbor filled up in Nebraska and it was the wrong stuff for his truck so I bought some of it off of him as he purged his tanks). Got over 22 MPG on that particular tank full - same run - from Manhattan to Salina and return, neglible winds (under 20mph here in Kansas is calm as you know ) and driving 60 to 65 solo. What was amazing is I wasn't getting passed by that many vehicles!!

Old 10-24-2008, 04:08 AM   #27
mopar1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8805
I have been looking at oil topics on several web sites looking for answers. I just bought a 97 dodge 3500 with the Cummins engine. It has 242,000 miles on Shell Rotella T oil. Now to meet the emission requirements of the new 07 and up engines they have removed the Zinc from the oil. In gas engines that do not have roller lifters this is causing the cam lobes to wear out. What is it doing to our diesel engines?
Here is a article from turbo diesel registry on the subject:

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/TDR57_Oil.pdf

I was planning on going to the synthetic Rotella T but it only is a 5w40 oil. Which is suppose to be better for mileage and start up wear because it is thinner when cold. The Valvoline premium blue 15w40 is also rated well and it is cheep but I do not like to switch brands of oil. But that goes back 20+ years ago when they said it was bad to switch like that. The more I try to learn the more confusing it all gets. Trying to sort through peoples opinions of there favorite brand of oil that may not be doing the job it once did.
mopar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 04:29 AM   #28
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
I'm new to this diesel thing. Never had one before. Although our T/V is a Ford our dealer recomended that I use 15-40 Motorcraft Oil for Diesel motors. Don't know that the brand would make any difference but I believe this is a partial synthetic oil. I wish I had the history on my truck but I don't have. It is purring like a kitten right now and it has 311k+ miles on it. Don't have any reservations about taking off somewhere on a long trip at this point.
Old 10-24-2008, 06:39 AM   #29
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bill-N-Donna

I'm new to this diesel thing. Never had one before. Although our T/V is a Ford our dealer recomended that I use 15-40 Motorcraft Oil for Diesel motors. Don't know that the brand would make any difference but I believe this is a partial synthetic oil. I wish I had the history on my truck but I don't have. It is purring like a kitten right now and it has 311k+ miles on it. Don't have any reservations about taking off somewhere on a long trip at this point.
15W-40 is the correct oil. I use Motorcraft oil. I used to use Rotella but decided to now have my oil changes done at Ford. I don't believe that this oil is a partial synthetic oil. I wonder where that thought came from.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 07:52 AM   #30
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ols1932

Quote:

15W-40 is the correct oil. I use Motorcraft oil. I used to use Rotella but decided to now have my oil changes done at Ford. I don't believe that this oil is a partial synthetic oil. I wonder where that thought came from.

Orv
I believe that someone told me that when I was at the dealership. Someone in the service department I believe. Anyway, whether it is or not that was what they recommended.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:09 AM   #31
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
I can see I have a lot to learn, I have never owned a deisel just drove others. I have been looking at the 08 F350 6.4, dealers are about in the give it to you mode. last check 50% off MSRP. was looking at the Maintenance Plan they sell for $1400. $0 Ded. 6 Yr 100,000 Mi. says change oil every 10,000 Mi. and with the other part of the service when schulded maint, Trans fluid changed rear end,oil changed. I thought it was cheaper than doing it myself or having someone else do it. Also need to learn about winter and summer fuel

Bob
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 11:47 AM   #32
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Bob & Lee: If your price is $1400 and it covers even the oil and fuel filter changes for 100K miles, get it. 15 quarts of oil and filters will set you back almost $100 each time, at today's prices. A couple of of fuel filter changes and you are ahead. On my Dodge, differential fluid change is over 250.00 (X 2); transmission fluid change will be over 200 when due.... it adds up quickly.
Old 10-24-2008, 01:59 PM   #33
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have the 08 6.4L.Oil changes cost me 84.30 at dealers in Ohio and Florida.We do change more frequently than 10K miles.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 07:42 AM   #34
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Update on my earlier comments. We passed the 30,000 mile mark Chrysler says is required before switching to synthetic. At the next oil change, at 32,365 miles, I went to Rotella T 5w40 synthetic, CJ4. Rotella T finally came out with the CJ4 synthetic. We've put 9,100 miles on that oil so far including lots of towing and it's still on the full mark. I'll have it changed out at 10,000 miles.

Whoever commented on the Motorcraft oil, I used the Motorcraft dino oil for years in my Fords and was very happy with it. I've always gone 10,000 miles between changes when using synthetic and it's been fine. One of the magazines awhile back commented oil has improved so much it's no longer necessary to change it at 3,000 miles as I did for many years.
Old 10-26-2008, 02:21 PM   #35
The Weekenders
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8863
I use Case/IH no 1 0W/40 synthetic oil in my 04 F 350 6.0 Powerstroke with Fleetguard Filters. I change between 10,000-12,000 miles.
The Weekenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 03:33 AM   #36
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
When we got our first Diesel, I knew that the Rotella 15/40 would be the Oil that I would. I have run the Big Trucks with Cummins, Cat and Detroit 60 Series Diesel engines 325 Hp to 500 Hp and they all used Rotella. I have used it in all of my Duramax engines. Another reason is you can find Rotella almost any place you go. I use to change my on Oil and filters. I no longer do this because of the disposing problem. I furnish the Oil and filter and it cost me $10.00 for the change. I change my Oil between 8,000 and 10,000 miles. I know that is kinda wasteful and should change by the book. But thats my choice, and it seems to work for me. GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 04:44 AM   #37
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
On the 08 F-350 according to Ford the interval is 5K miles if towing. That is listed as "severe" on the maint schedule. Towing is about all we use it for so we use that interval. So far only the oil has been changed but the dealer said all the filters will be due at 20K miles.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 07:05 AM   #38
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
Rich says "So far only the oil has been changed but the dealer said all the filters will be due at 20K miles."
I hope you mean the air filter(s) and/or transmission and not the oil filter. You aren't leaving your dirty oil in ther oil filter and putting in fresh oil are you?
Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 08:46 AM   #39
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:

Bill, the new oil is labeled as meeting the CJ4 requirements for the new emissions standards. It is backward compatible so should work just fine in your older Cummins. Before long CJ4 is all we'll be able to buy, anyhow.

I had the oil changed this morning and caught a break. My Cummins requires 12 quarts. I had Walmart do the change. They have a base price for the change, then charge for the oil since I did not want to use their standard oil (used Rotella T synthetic 5w40 synthetic). They then credit back the five quarts included in the base oil change price. The tech used three gallon jugs of oil (better price for me) rather than 12 individual quart bottles. When they rung it up, their computer would not accept the credit of five QUARTS since the oil charged was in GALLONS. They called the manager who said first to credit me for two gallons (8 quarts instead of the normal 5) and then said he would call the computer guy to fix the problem. So, I ended up paying for an extra 4 quarts instead of 7 quarts. The oil change cost me a total of $73.40, including oil and filter. Normally it's closer to $90.

I caught another break when I went to the Dodge dealer to have the air filter changed. The service manager took me to the parts counter to buy the filter ($33.60 and tax), then he installed it with no labor charge. He said he wasn't even going to write a ticket on it. Two breaks in one day! I think I'll go out after awhile and buy some lottery tickets.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:21 AM   #40
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Re the disposal of used motor oil...most WalMarts will take the used oil. Check out in back of the Tire And Lube shop...that's where we turn ours in.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote