Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-27-2008, 01:48 PM   #1
billhoover
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7895
New (to me) Tow Vehicle

In my initial post, I mentioned trying to find a recent model Duramax dually. It has not been easy, but we finally located and purchased an 06 DRW CC Duramax from a gentleman who bought it new, then had to give up camping.

If anybody is looking for a new TV, I recommend a dually made by any of the big three. Although the drive trains of the 3/4 and the one tons are the same, having towed with both trucks, the towing experience is totally different. In gusty winds, being passed by 18 wheelers, etc, does not bother the dually but sure could be felt in the 3/4. To me, it is a much more relaxed towing experience, knowing the truck can handle it and I am within the ratings published by GM.

As with all of these posts, this is my opinion and my message...please do not shoot the messenger!

billhoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 02:02 PM   #2
ggranch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6588
Amen to the dually's. There is a world of difference. Although the engines and transmissions are the same, the axle's and hubs are very different. Can't speak for GM & Dodge but Ford does not share any axle's between the 3/4 and the 1 ton. Congrats on the new ride, enjoy.

Bob
ggranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 02:28 PM   #3
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
Congratulations of finding the truck you wanted.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 03:19 PM   #4
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Congratulations on finding the truck that works for you!

I would agree your dually probably tows much better than a single. For my use, I still have more cons than pros with a dually and would most likely go to a MH with small vehicle in tow if it got to the point I need six wheels on the ground.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 03:40 PM   #5
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Dual rear wheels give more stability on the road. There is less buffeting by passing big rigs and wind gusts. IMHO
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 04:05 PM   #6
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Bill , Congrats on the new tv & I couldn't agree more with your findings of DRW versus SRW for stability and all round towing pleasure, but as mentioned on this subject before there are some disadvantages to be considered as well. We live in a rural area and when pushing deep snow down a barely travelled road those duals are constantly swerving back and forth trying set themselves somewhere into the single rut that has been forged. Wet mud & clay roads cause the same effect. Some other cons to be considered are: stiffer ride, slighly more difficult to park and of course the extra costs to renew tires. Fortunately we have a small suv to drive as our every day vehicle and the dually is only used for towing the Monty & stock trailer!
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 04:12 PM   #7
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
If anyone has an 07-08 Duramax 4X4 CC Dulley, do you tow a Montana without having the clearance problem between the top of the bed and the 5er. Someone here in the park has a 07 1/2 and he had to lift his SOB 5er to clear the bed.
I am in the market for a Duramax 4X4 Dulley I want to make sure it will clear my Montana. I know in the old days it was common to have spacers between the axels and the springs of the 5er to achieve lift.
JB
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 03:22 AM   #8
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
I did not really want the dually, but, after looking at the numbers, decided I should get what I 'needed' not what I 'wanted.' So now I park a little farther out at Wally World.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 03:25 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
As with large block gas motors and the diesel it takes a person who has driven both for a long period of time under the same conditions to offer a meaningful comparison.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 03:54 AM   #10
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
With the F-350 DRW, King Ranch, Long bed Crew Cab - If a standard size car can fit in it, so can I. Of course, I have to be able to make the turn. I have had to back up and go forward several times. Had a guy knock on the window and exclaim, "How did you ever get that thing out of there!"

I feel the Dually is the way to go if towing. With more tire on the road, with two wheels adjacent to each other, you get better stability. Laws of physics I guess.

With time it all comes easy.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:34 AM   #11
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Yep, I can tell by all the busted fenders on the duallys that if you hit the gas hard enough and close your eyes tight enough, you can pretty much park that dually where ever you want .
Old 01-28-2008, 08:59 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The good news is that if the dually fits through the camper will. I think all parking lots should have a "dually section" Same here with us...I did not really want the dually.it is a pain in the butt..but..the numbers said dually and..so it is written so shall it be done. Wish I had a $ for everytime I muttered .. we can't fit this ^%$##@(&&^ truck in there.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:22 AM   #13
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
OK guys, lets not turn this into a towing contest. The "numbers" don't drive you to a dually for the Montana line. The SRW Ford tows a 15,700lbs Montana, which is 1-ton more GVWR than your 3400s Lightning and Rich, and payload numbers are in line with room to spare.

I like duallies and I'm sure they are more stable, but lets not transpose "want" into "need" to justify your cause.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:00 PM   #14
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bsmeaton

OK guys, lets not turn this into a towing contest. The "numbers" don't drive you to a dually for the Montana line. The SRW Ford tows a 15,700lbs Montana, which is 1-ton more GVWR than your 3400s Lightning and Rich, and payload numbers are in line with room to spare.

I like duallies and I'm sure they are more stable, but lets not transpose "want" into "need" to justify your cause.
Any diesel will tow any Montana...the key issue is cargo capacity. My comments are intended for GM products only. The one ton SRW GM only gets about 3-400# more cargo capacity, which is not enough. Don't know enough about Ford/Dodge to comment on those trucks.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 01:48 PM   #15
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Lightning, I admit I don't know the GM numbers, just the Ford.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:57 PM   #16
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I always tend to overdo it. When we purchased the 05 F-350 we did not yet have a 5th wheel or had we decided on the brand. We did know it would be a large 5th wheel so got the truck that would pull the largest , Jayco, Forest River, Keystone, etc and be well within specs. The 6.0L diesel was out of the question and because of the family plan , Etc we were sort of tied to the Ford. We carried that on to the new truck..We use this 3400 hard and spend a lot of time traveling and living in it. With all due respect I do not see this 3400 lasting more than 3 to 5 years before we will have run it to ground. Whatever brand we purchase next we want to have the truck to handle it.Hence this big awkward, bulky, broad beamed , beast. It was more need than want.. There is a F-250 Ford 7.3L pulling a good sized Wilderness 5th wheel in the row behind us. It looked strange coming in..It is a regular cab short bed..it looked so short in front of that long camper.Now that's what I'm talking about..we could take that anywhere.Unfortunately is is no doubt out of several spec's. We will get our Honda Civic down here next year somehow so we will not have to wrestle this beast around.
Old 01-28-2008, 03:37 PM   #17
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I haven't seen a regular cab in so long, it would look kinda funny to me too
Old 01-28-2008, 03:45 PM   #18
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I will try to sneak a picture and post it.. It looks like it will fit in the rear of my Long bed.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:47 PM   #19
BigAl52
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4977
I guess I didn't know that GM made a 1 ton SRW pick-up.And I don't care what he says the guy who said he could fit a dually into where a normal size car goes would never a dually in my garage and get another car in along side of it cause it won't fit unless he plans on destroying some part of the garage. I know duallys are more stable. But they won't fit in my garage and I hate scraping windows.
BigAl52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 02:57 PM   #20
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Big al,
I said that and I was talking about parking lots. My Crew Cab F350 King Ranch Long bed, barely fits on the lube rack at the service garage. But in a parking lot all I need is to be able to make a turn and it will fit in a parking space. Couple of times I had to squeeze myself down off the running board because the door would not open very much, but I did it. Like every one else, if it doesn't fit - park in the North 40 and walk. Most of us need the exercise anyhow. If it fits on an 8 foot highway, it will fit in an 8 ft parking space.

Sometimes a long bed SRW will park in a parallel space opposite me and I have to make sevearl point-to-point turns to get out, but it is doable.

Try driving on the streets of Japan when two cars passing - fold in the mirrors.