Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 07-04-2006, 06:36 AM   #1
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Happy 4th! (or is it?)

Hope this is not deemed to political, but...

Happy 4th!!!

Is that the "politically correct" way to say that, or do we have to be careful not to offend any of our British friends??? Also want to be careful not to offend any terrorists... OK, I might be over-doing the point (maybe not).

We may have to start saying, "HAPPY SUMMER HOLIDAY!!!"

Might be OK if we avoid the words "Independence" or "Freedom".

dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 08:09 AM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dsprik

Hope this is not deemed to political, but...

Happy 4th!!!

Is that the "politically correct" way to say that, or do we have to be careful not to offend any of our British friends??? Also want to be careful not to offend any terrorists... OK, I might be over-doing the point (maybe not).

We may have to start saying, "HAPPY SUMMER HOLIDAY!!!"

Might be OK if we avoid the words "Independence" or "Freedom".

YEAH! What Dave said!
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 09:44 AM   #3
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
I love my country, I admire the flag and think it should be against the law to be burned, I support our troops, I believe in saying the pledge of allegiance, I believe in prayer, I believe in God, I say Merry Christmas, I believe we should protect our borders and I believe we should all speak English in the United States as that's our language. With saying this - I do respect other countries, their laws, their customs and the ethnic backgrounds of all. However, I expect the same reciprocal respect.

Why did you start this post - I better stop now before I get in more trouble.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 09:54 AM   #4
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Sorry, Steve. Just had a "Patriotic" flashback today. Don't know what got into me... Where's my ACLU badge... (Oops! Was that bad???)

*On Edit~ BTW, I believe EVERY ONE of those points you listed.
Old 07-04-2006, 10:29 AM   #5
TheCoachPotatoes
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3847
Steve,
Thank you for your reply. I know Dsprik is trying to get us all stirred up to really appreciate all we have in this wonderful country!! Also when someone says to me "happy holidays" I say back to them "Merry Christmas". We have many freedoms in this country and we are even free to drive a FORD.
Al
TheCoachPotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 10:33 AM   #6
borfaloo
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5608
As an English person ..

Let me give you my take on the 4th of July.

I have lived here for the last Eight years. During that time I have gone
from earning minimum wage to earning enough to consider myself doing well.

I have traveled all across the USA .. WV,CO,PA,NY,NJ,NV,AZ and my 'home' in WA. I have encountered many folks most of whom welcomed me and were interested in this English guy and his crazy accent.

I sat on the edge of my Bed with tears streaming down my face one September morning ..crying so hard for this nation and in it's innocence lost. Having grown up in the 'turbulent' times in England.
I knew the pain you were all going though.

I learned new traditions like camping and the joy of making s'mores.
I became an avid football fan (Seahawks) and I embraced this new world.

Just this morning while out with my dog I noticed one of my fellow rv neighbor's flags that were adorning the front of his rig had fallen on the ground. I went over and picked it up and placed it back where it belonged .. NOT ON THE GROUND !!! Plenty of folks had walked by that flag and I chose to pick it up because it is respectful.

I am English and I am very proud.
I make my home here in WA state USA and I am proud.
I speak English but I would learn another language if that was
the spoken language of the country I call home.

I am proud to say I am well on my way to citizenship and I will retain
dual citizenship when I am done.

This country has so much to offer, I have seen some of the challenges we all face with regard to tolerance and acceptance but we will get there.

I am proud to say I live in the best country in the world.
Today I am not English,Latino,Black,Asian,Arabic,Jewish

Today I am American ...

I am proud to celebrate independence day today with my American Wife and my American friends... and my family back in England who tell me every year to have a good independence day.

Have the best 4th ever folks.

Sean
borfaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 11:12 AM   #7
TheCoachPotatoes
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3847
Sean,
Your statement is beautiful. Brought tears to my eyes!! You are truly an American!
Nita
Old 07-04-2006, 11:25 AM   #8
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Sean, I hope you have a Happy Independence Day! Sounds like you are going to. If you plan on running for an elected office somewhere down the road, let me know... I'll be your campaign manager...
Old 07-04-2006, 11:34 AM   #9
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Thanks Sean for loving our country. I wish everyone was like you.
Happy Fourth.
Happy trails..............................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 11:54 AM   #10
rlwhit
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3189
Sean - WHAT A STATEMENT!!!!! Thank you from a fellow Wa. Montana owner.
rlwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 01:47 PM   #11
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Sean

YOU ARE THE MAN!!!!!!!!!!

That was a real tear jerker and we all appreciate your well thought out words.

Post more, you have won our hearts!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 01:48 PM   #12
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
On this auspicious holiday, check this out: http://www.iwo.com/heroes.htm

Happy Independence Day!

A gift we have also given to others.

If only they'd learn to appreciate its value.

And Sean...Thank you! I loved the four years I spent in your home country. (1970-1974.) Kept begging the AF to send me back. But it never obliged. I probably shouldn't have seemed too eager....

Steve
Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 02:03 PM   #13
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Steve, you are in BIG trouble! You did not warn us we needed to have a box of tissue near us before we clicked that link!!!

My son was in a AF at the start up of this last Gulf War, and he spent a year in Korea on the DMZ staring across the line at that idiot dictator. Cheryl was a nervous wreck. I am so proud of him.

I know there are others here who had sons and daughters in harms way protecting our way of life and our freedom. Garin1 had his son over there AND he himself was in Iraq as a contractor. Words cannot express...

*On Edit~ Mis-typed: Meant to type - my son Derek was in the AF AND in the Gulf (at Central Command) at the start of the Gulf War.
Old 07-04-2006, 03:10 PM   #14
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Dave,

I salute all who serve. Please give those folks my deepest gratitude.

I served during Vietnam, (1967-1978) but was never "In Country." I should have realized that volunteering to go to a place is a surefire way to have the AF deny your requests.

We've, (and I do mean all who've served,) done so much for the world. It makes me sad to see when an aberrant incident or two cause tunnel vision, and blind so many to what's really going on in the big picture.

That slide show is so true and to the point. It sure gave me a lump in my throat.

Steve
Old 07-04-2006, 05:30 PM   #15
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
So true on the "tunnel vision" comment, Steve. There are so many that just wait for an incident like what you're talking about to blow it up all out of proportion to the big picture. It's a real shame - in the true sense of that phrase...
Old 07-04-2006, 05:42 PM   #16
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Dave,

I refrain from commenting beyond, "AGREED." Lest the thread devolve into dreaded politics.

I have been blessed with a few such links, and photos such as that link contained, thanks to friends who have served, are serving, and know the real score.

Most, of course, come with the caption, "Things you WON'T see on your five o'clock network news."

It all makes me that much more proud of the volunteers who still serve. I remember being virtually spit at while in uniform, even though I never went to the war zone.

Steve
Old 07-04-2006, 06:21 PM   #17
TheCoachPotatoes
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3847
When my husband, Al came home from Korea during the Viet Nam War. He went out with some friends wearing his uniform and was ridiculed. Many people were very nasty toward our soldiers. My brother went to Viet Nam and didn't come home the same. The young man that went in was very handsome, popular in school and smart. All the teachers and students loved him. When he returned, partly because of the horror he saw there, and I'm sure also how he was treated when he returned, He was a totaly different person. He has never been able to hold down a steady job. He moved to Oregon and I rarely see him. He is a very difficult person to be around. I can't imagine what he must have gone through! He will not talk about it.

Nita
Old 07-04-2006, 06:44 PM   #18
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Nita,

I’m sorry to hear that. And I really get irked when I hear about the way some of our returning troops are being treated, still, by the system that sent them to war.

There are none so ignorant as those who won’t learn by living through such things. And it seems our “system” is so very ignorant. I had always hoped it had learned from Vietnam. Turns out it was only so much rhetoric when pandering was required by politicians.

Luckily, since the stories do get out, the situation seems to be changing. And those who need help can get it.

The “Wounded Warrior Project” is one place we can donate to that will leap ahead of the balky “system.”

Wounded Warrior Project

Heroes don’t need to stand in line any more!

Steve
Old 07-04-2006, 07:21 PM   #19
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Regarding the link Steve (Gyro) put up a few posts ago. Check out the whole site (iwo.com). It is really awesome and a lot of time spent doing it. Click on the email and notice the clock/calendar that moves around with your mouse. I've never seen that before.
Happy trails..........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 07:30 PM   #20
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
I've seen some truly amazing pointer displays on some sites. One of which was that calendar/clock pointer. I downloaded the info, but never could get it to play on all my browser screens.

I'm more a hardware guy than a software guy, though. I'm guessing a software type could make it work on all browser screens.

Steve