Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-15-2006, 04:12 AM   #1
Dano
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4721
No brakes

Ok heres the deal, I have no brakes on the front axle. The back seem to work just fine, I pulled the wheeles off and checked the wirers and magnets found nothing wrong. Is there any chance its in the brake controller its self, And is there any way to check that?

Dano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 04:22 AM   #2
Glass Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #321
the brake controler has no way of knowing how many axles are under your trailer, the best advise I can give is to find your power supply wire to the brakes and check every connection or splice in the wire my guess is that somewhere you have a broken wire or one that is not spliced properly, pull the connectors and double check them also, Good luck, Roman
Glass Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 04:40 AM   #3
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
I would ck the voltage to each brake in question while someone applies the brake to make sure that wiring to that point is ok. A trick I use sometimes is to push straight pins into the wire as contact point.

I doubt if you have Alko but if you do the Alko manual offers a method to current check the magnet coil for proper operation and coil to housing short circuit test.

First make sure your voltage to each wheel is ok. Sounds like wiring maybe. Check for wear on the wires as they come through the undercover. This has been a problem in the past.

lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 07:15 AM   #4
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Dano,
I hope you are able to get those brakes working soon. Nothing more scary than finding out you do not have half the brakes on a trailer working. My Tekonsha Voyegar brake controller is set up to handle up to 3 axles worth of brakes on a trailer. Not sure what type of brake controller you have, but I would also be checking that as well.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 08:58 AM   #5
Dano
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4721
Well I guess I better look at that wireing again. They all seemed to be connected ok, maybe I should make sure they put the right colors together. Were going on our first real trip this weekend and I'm pretty sure I'll need both sets of brakes going thru the mountains (Its only going down that might be tricky)

Thanks for your replys. And montana sky, I checked on line and my brake controler is for one to four axles.
Old 05-15-2006, 12:45 PM   #6
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Dano,
Sorry to hear it was not your brake controller. I was hoping it was going to be something easy to fix or replace. Best of luck in getting this little problem solved.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 02:54 PM   #7
tbhd2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5709
Make sure that your brakes are adjusted properly. If they are too loose they will appear to not work. Hope this helps.
tbhd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 06:05 PM   #8
gungho
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2818
Another simple test is to jumper the good axel to the non-working one. This will tell you if its the brakes or the wireing!
gungho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 01:29 AM   #9
Dano
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4721
Hey Guys, Thanks for all the replys. Went home last night Started looking again and found it. I ended up pulling the belly, and there it was. The wire was just hanging there, It was never hooked up. Got it wired in and Wa La I have brakes. Again the MOC family comes thrue, Thank you all. I'm gonna feel a lot better going thru the mountains now that both axle brakes work. Cant wait to try them out. Five more days and we hit the road for TEN day of relaxation, Life is good!!
Old 05-16-2006, 03:17 AM   #10
Glass Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #321
Glad to see you found the problem, as complicated as our trailers seem to be with a little know how and help they are really not that hard to fix your self. good luck, Roman
Glass Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 03:36 AM   #11
wileecoyote985
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2134
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by lightningjack11

I would ck the voltage to each brake in question while someone applies the brake to make sure that wiring to that point is ok. A trick I use sometimes is to push straight pins into the wire as contact point.

I doubt if you have Alko but if you do the Alko manual offers a method to current check the magnet coil for proper operation and coil to housing short circuit test.

First make sure your voltage to each wheel is ok. Sounds like wiring maybe. Check for wear on the wires as they come through the undercover. This has been a problem in the past.

One thing to add to Lighteningjack's post.

If you pierce the wire insulation with a pin or probe, make sure you seal the hole in the insulation with a proper sealant. Otherwise you'll get water and other contaminants attacking the wire via capillary action.
wileecoyote985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 05:08 AM   #12
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Good point wilee. Forgot to mention that but the method is good when the only method of checking is peeling the wire back. Pin hole is better. With my eyes I have problems finding the hole to seal since I usually use a very small pin hole.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote