Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-21-2006, 04:53 AM   #1
party of 5
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1764
brake controller settings

I posted the earlier the questions about how long brakes should last and a common response was the brake controller settings. I have the Prodigy and I leave it on Boost 2 and keep it between 5.5 and 6.5 on the display. Is that to much or not enough?

party of 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 05:11 AM   #2
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Your post made me wonder about my settings. The dealer set up our Prodigy last May with boost 3 and the same number settings as you indicated. I wonder what most Montana owners with the same brake controller use as the boost setting?

thanks
RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 07:42 AM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I used a Prodigy from the time they came on the market until we traded for this truck (builtin controller on this one). The Prodigy is, in my estimation, an excellent controller.

I think your numbers are fine but you could go a bit higher if necessary. I used to run ours at boost 3 (our Montana is very heavy) and 8.5 or 9.0 (can't remember which). When I had the brakes done my dealer told me to back it off because there were heat stress cracks in the lining. He said I had the brakes cranked up too high. I left it on boost 3 but settled on 7.0 for the controller setting as that seemed to give me nearly as good stopping power but was less than I had it set before.

The boost setting just applies more of that 7.0 at initial brake application to help you get started stopping. 2 is fine if that works well for your particular rig. For me 3 was best.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 08:11 AM   #4
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I run my Prodigy about as Steve mentioned. Setting at 3 and running abou 9.0-10 volts. If the brakes begin to grab too quickly, I just back off a little.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 03:01 PM   #5
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
HELP! I just had CW install my Prodigy and based on their lack of knowledge I should have had it done closer to home. As always, I've found out more on this forum! My question is setting it in general, and the Prodigy instructions leave a little to be desired as well. Mine seems kind of "jumpy" when I try and set the voltage. I was going to try and set it at 6 to start and I can't get it exactly there, I can either get it to 5.something or 6.2, but I can't stop on 6. Is that normal, or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance, I always know I can come here for an answer!

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 03:33 PM   #6
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I wouldn't worry about whether you have it at 6.0 or 6.2. My Montana is heavy so I have mine on boost 3 and run it anywhere between 6 and 10, depending on conditions. When the drums are fairly warm, I can back off a little. I usually set mine so I get a smooth braking with the RV wheels beginning the braking first.

Orv
Old 04-11-2006, 03:45 PM   #7
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Orv,

So it's normal for the controller to be a little hard to set at an exact number? As always, I knew I could count on an answer here!

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 05:32 PM   #8
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mac

Orv,

So it's normal for the controller to be a little hard to set at an exact number? As always, I knew I could count on an answer here!

mac
What I have noticed is that a lot depends on how much pressure you place on the truck brake pedal.

Orv
Old 04-12-2006, 09:27 AM   #9
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Prodigy says drive at 25 MPH use the slide control and adjust power control to make the brakes lock up then back off the control a bit. Doing this I found that ALL my wheels did not lock an the same time. You may need to adjust the brake pads to help all the pad to work the same.
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 02:38 PM   #10
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Illini Trekker

Prodigy says drive at 25 MPH use the slide control and adjust power control to make the brakes lock up then back off the control a bit. Doing this I found that ALL my wheels did not lock an the same time. You may need to adjust the brake pads to help all the pad to work the same.
I can't "lock" my wheels at all. That's not really recommended by Montana and my dealer.
Orv
Old 04-13-2006, 08:32 AM   #11
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
By backing off the setting to your needs, weight of your trailer, fresh water, gray, black, cargo, which all changes with each trip. The setting on my Prodigy is Boost 2 and 6.1 the trailer stop before the truck. That is with little water in tanks and 300LB cargo.
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 03:10 PM   #12
bigbob7777
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3701
Send a message via AIM to bigbob7777
I have mine at boost 3, and 8.6 on the reading. I didn't feel it would stop soon enough at a lower setting. Trailer weighs in at about 13k.
bob
bigbob7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 01:10 PM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Recommended boost settings are based on weight of the trailer relative to the tow vehicle weight. If I recall, the Prodigy manual has this information. When we had the Prodigy I used boost 3 because the truck I had at that time weighed about 7200 lbs and the Montana was over 14,000. Boost has to do with the amount of braking (only) when you first apply the brakes. With your Mountaineer I would guess a boost 2 would be good. Maybe even 1 if that Mountaineer is relatively light. Sorry but I don't know the weights of your rig.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 04:04 AM   #14
boat391
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5756
Hello to all What a great forum I have a 3500hd CHEVY Duramax 03 model Ihave never heard of this Prodigy controler I hate the one in my pickup now so I need to go out and find one it sounds like. So the question I have at this point is Is there only one style of controller or do they have several to choose from If so what seems to be the best one. The wife and I just got our 3400 three weeks ago and took it to the coast for it's shake down and didn't care for the way the brakes responded with the current controller so I figured there was a better one out there Thanks again for all the help with this and all the other questions I have asked what a great thing you all do to help others that haven't been down the road that much
boat391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 04:41 AM   #15
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
The Prodigy is one of many models made by Tekonsha and is considered to be one of the best. If you ever have any problems with a Tekonsha product they are super to deal with. We had trouble with one of their earlier controllers and sent it in for repairs and they sent us a new one even though we were way out of warranty.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 04:56 AM   #16
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Talked with a Prodigy tech (at Tekonsha) several months ago re the lack of "lock up" during the controller set up. He stated that heavy rigs with "standard" size brakes (such as the Monty) at 14K won't get "lock up" of the wheels, no matter how high you set the controller. I run mine at boost 3, and around 9.something. I often back it down a bit when maneuvering for parking or slow speed operation. Keeps brakes from developing a "squeal", which can sometimes happen at low speeds and high settings.
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 02:33 PM   #17
Bill Frisbee
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4493
I run my boost at level 2 and the gain at approximately 7.5 EXCEPT when I am at very low speeds in places like a campground. Then I drop the boost to level 1. I also test the trailer brakes at low speed when I first start out for the day. This not only ensures that the trailer brakes are working but also "warms" the brakes slightly and prevents the "grabbing" that some people experience at low speed when the brakes are cold. I determined the "boost at level 2 and gain at 7.5" with the help of an experienced truck driver who rode with me and whose "educated butt" determined that the truck and trailer were applying equal braking at those settings. During the road test for my Class A license, an idiot decided to cut across several lanes of a high speed 4-lane urban highway ... necessitating a rather urgent requirement for an emergency stop by myself and many others. The Monty and my Dodge TV stopped quickly, in a perfectly straight line, and withour skidding the tires on either. That test of the overall braking system and the settings on my Prodigy was a confidence builder. Also impressed the DMV guy conducting my road test!

Bill
Bill Frisbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 04:30 AM   #18
Glass Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #321
Thats the same numbers I'am using on a 3295rk at about 12,000 pounds and it stop me pretty good you might be a little high on your settings but if you are comfortable with the way your combined package stops I would leave it at those setting for you own piece of mind knowing that it is going to stop you. Roman
Glass Guy is offline   Reply With Quote