Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-27-2005, 09:35 PM   #1
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
cover or not to cover

I am going to store my 3295 outside for the winter. my question is should I cover it or not. I live in western new york where we get a lot of snow and high winds,am concerned about moister with a cover.

garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 12:24 AM   #2
MIMF2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3886
garyka,the Service Mgr at my dealer talked me out of it a year ago for the Outback that we had. He said that another customer done it a year or two prior and in the spring when that customer took the cover off in the spring, they discovered that the entire rubber roof had to be replaced. The cover had chaffed the corner of the roof along both sides where it wraps down to the siding and cut it. It was because of winds moving or flapping the cover.

Now, he didn't go on to explain actually if the cover fit properly or not. I simply dismissed the idea and covered only the air conditioner and everything worked out just fine.

I would think the full body cover that I think you are talking about would need to fit rather snuggly. I could be wrong. Other people may have more knowledge about this than I.
MIMF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 02:06 AM   #3
Colden
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4400
Garyka,
We got our Montana 2955RLS 5 wks ago - an unplanned purchase - and won't have the time to put up an addition off the garage to cover it this year. I went to a seminar at Meyers RV last week and asked the same question - we live in Colden. Craig Carpenter, the svc mgr, said if I'd asked 3-4 yrs ago he'd have said no, don't cover it. But with todays covers he would say go ahead. He said to be sure and get a cover made of polyethylene that does not totally wrap around the unit or seal to the ground. Air movement is very important to have. Also, get one with a zippered side so you can access the door and go in once a month and check the unit. Biggest advantage of using the cover is that it keeps the UV rays off and the unit looking nicer longer. We spoke to one of the guys in the service area about covers / buying at Camping World and he said you get what you pay for. He said covers by Gold Coast (I think that's the name) were good and I'm going to look into those. Hope this helps you out.
Jan.
Colden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 02:40 AM   #4
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Read the archives here and use the search feature, many of us don't like covers. Has been discussed many times here.

Good luck in your decision.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 04:15 AM   #5
Colden
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4400
The best price we found for a cover is thru Auto Supply USA. We hope to build a semi-open room off the garage next year so are not looking for long term coverage. But with all the trees, we do want something.

http://autosupplyusa.com/5thwheelcovers.html

FYI - Muddypaws also has this topic open. Try checking those replies.

Jan
Colden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 05:56 AM   #6
Virgil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1457
Our winters are as severe as they come. I have never covered any camper that I ever had. I thinkk personally, that covers do more harm than good. IMHO.
Virgil is offline   Reply With Quote