Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-10-2005, 04:56 AM   #1
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
Chevy Owner again

As you see from my signature I have a 2004 F250 to tow the Monty. First Ford I have ever bought new and wouldn't trade it for anything. But I thought you might be interested in my wifes other tow vehicle. She bought a 2002 Ford Explorer to replace her 1994 Explorer and it was a "LEMON" literally. From mile one the heater defroster did not work correctly and over 3 years the Ford dealer tried everything to make it work but couldn't. The windshield would not clear the fog or ice. So we filed a Lemon Law case and 6 months later Ford appoligized and refunded our entire vehicle cost. So last week we went out and bought a new Chevy Tahoe! Haven't tried the defroster (100 + temps) yet but the car rides much better and so far she is happy.

Just in case you think I am trying to rekindle the old GM vs Ford debate. I am not! I own approx 8 Fords besides the F250. Oldest is a 1914, 1918, 1927, 1930, 1931, 1955, 1967 and a few more parts and pieces. Only three are currently running and the rest in various stages of restoration. But I have a Corvette in the garage also and I have both Chevy and Ford parts in there also. Now for Dodge/ Chrysler products, I have a few of them but mostly parts in the teens and twentys. So I lean towards GM, have mostly Fords but keep a few of the others around also.

I tend to keep cars that appeal to me no matter the manufacturer. If the F250 looses its appeal I will replace it with whatever seems the best at that time.

drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 02:39 PM   #2
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Farmer Don, nothing wrong with buying what works and what will give you a good deal. I used to lean toward GM products, but we bought a Grand Prix that was the case study for Georgia's lemon law, and I am only being slightly facetious there. It ruined GM products for me, especially as I went Ford after that and have experienced nothing but good luck with them. Marsha drives a Dodge Durango, but I am a Ford man now. When it came time to purchase the diesel in February, there were no considerations of anything but a Ford. To each his own, right?

Glad to hear the Tahoe is working well for your wife!
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 02:57 PM   #3
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We have a GMC Envoy and love it. We have had several Buicks and loved them. Then I had several Ford's and hated them all but Ed had a little Ranger that he dearly loved. So I guess it is just like the Monty's, some are great and some have a few problems. Somewhere back in time I had a slant 6 Dodge Dart that was a great little car. I had a T-Bird that was okay until my former husband's exgirlfriend poured Molasses in the engine!!!
Happy trails..........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 03:03 PM   #4
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Sue, I am just dying to know what happened to your former husband's ex-girlfriend...
Old 08-10-2005, 04:29 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I think many of us lean toward whichever brand has served us well. Some of us, me included, have changed loyalties over the year. I started out with Chevy for the first two cars (1957 and 1953). Both nickel dimed me to death. Over the years I changed to a different mfr when I started having problems with one mfr. So I've gone from GM to Ford to Chrysler (just one of those, a Dodge van) to GM and back to Ford. When the Fords start letting me down I'll switch again. I went to Ford in 1987 (Thunderbird) and have been there since because they have treated me very, very well. When that changes, so will I.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 08:48 PM   #6
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Wordsmith
Nothing happened to her and she continued to do weird things to our cars liking taking the distributor cap out or taking one of the wires out. I started carrying extras in my purse! Just part of my "exciting" past. Do you wonder why he is my ex!
Happy trails..................
Old 08-11-2005, 03:02 PM   #7
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Sue, I think I see why! How sad, though, that someone could sink to such petty levels, but I suppose it takes all types to make us appreciate the truly quality people.
Old 08-11-2005, 04:49 PM   #8
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Boy you are so right. After that I spent the next 11 years single (raised 4 girls) and then I met Ed. We have been married 20 years this NOvember. A better guy would be hard to find.
Happy trails.................
Old 08-13-2005, 09:33 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
When you really think about it there is very little difference between brands. I have had all of them,some I liked better than others but all served me well.Now my wife can't stand Fords because she once bought a 1974 Mustang that was a piece of crap.. what does that have to do with anything...I have no brand loyality what-so-ever.We do our homework and buy what we need and what we can afford.Last truck was a Silverado, this one is a Ford, Don't know what the next one will be..Had a 1997 Pontiac Montana, really liked that mini van did several trips to Fla and Oklahoma, served us well. I now have a Honda Civic. it's a roller skate but a really nice car not to mention 33 to 38 MPG....
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 07:14 PM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Rich, '74 Mustangs were not REAL Mustangs! They were essentially Pintos. I once bought a Vega. Actually, two of them. When one had the famous warped head problem at 38k miles and the other at 43k miles I thought I should have bought Pintos. In retrospect that would have been just as poor a choice.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 11:13 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Steve.S you are so correct about the 74 Mustangs..however I had a brand new 75 Mustang that never gave me a bit of trouble...did not care for the car after I bought it and only kept it 1 year(underpowered)..but it was trouble free. But Helen to this day will not buy a Ford..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote