Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2005, 05:12 AM   #1
mallardjusted
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2334
New PSD, and why ....

We just picked up a new 2005 Ford Crewcab F-350 4X4 Powerstroke yesterday! Boy, does it drive like a dream!

Our trade-in vehicle was a 1999 Supercab F-250 4X4 PSd. This truck pulled our 3255RL just fine, but I was concerned about legal issues concerning tow weights. The 1999 was rated for 13400 lbs towing (well within our FW at about 12K), but payload was an overlooked fact that was tough to pinpoint. The payload max (which is 5th wheel hitchpin weight, plus passengers, plus any other cargo) was no more than 2600 lbs (that is the new listed payload weights. I couldn't actually find the 1999 ones, but I assume they are probably even less). So with our pinweight and cargo, we were probably in the neighborhood of 200 to 800 lbs of being over the max payload. While the truck certainly handled it, I was concerned about legal liabilities if involved in an accident.

Of course that was only one reason for the change - the crew cab is certainly more roomier, and new is nice too!

It is amazing that RV salesmen and many auto sales people don't even consider payload. They look at the tow capacity and say "no problem"!!! Oh well ......

mallardjusted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 08:24 AM   #2
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
You are so right about the dealer not knowing a darn thing about the truck except what they have heard. Who knows what each truck has under the hood? Is all the dealer knows is that it is a Ford, Dodge, GMC, Chevy etc. They just oh yea! You diffently have the truck that can pull it....LOL. Just amazing how they need the sell. But most trucks will pull it, but how will it pull it? Kathi
Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 08:38 AM   #3
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
Mat & Amy, just read your post and nearly my exact thoughts for trading my 02 Ram 2500.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 06:02 AM   #4
mallardjusted
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2334
illapah,

Yes, it's nice to know with the F-350's 4000 lb payload capacity that we are well within the official capacities .....

Matt
Old 07-23-2005, 02:18 PM   #5
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Congratulations on the new truck!!
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 04:26 PM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Nice truck, Matt and Amy! Be sure to post a picture when you can.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 06:27 AM   #7
mallardjusted
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2334
Steve and Vicki,

Did you have any issues with your hitch adjustments on your '05? My new truck seems to sit about 2" to 3" higher (I think some of this is from the 18" wheels vs 16"), and my Hijacker hitch is already at the lowest setting. I suppose the hitchpin can be adjusted if necessary, but it seems like the clearance between the truck rails and the 5er would be less? From your picture, though, it looks like it probably wasn't an issue?

I'm having my hitch installed this coming Thursday, so I guess I'll find out then!
Old 07-24-2005, 08:52 AM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Matt, I'm not sure if ours would compare directly with yours. Ours is an F250 and sits level when not towing. It squatted a little (about an inch) when towing so I added airbags to bring it back to level. It has 18 inch wheels like yours. The previous truck was a 2003 F350 with 16 inch wheels. It sat high in the rear when not towing and level when towing. The new one sits a bit lower than the old one so I had to raise the hitch a bit. I have 8 1/2 inches of clearance on this one and, if I recall, about the same on the other one.

You can adjust the pinbox down if you need more clearance. You don't want the Montana to be too high in the nose or you're shifting more weight onto the axles but it probably won't be too high. In that picture ours looks to be a bit nose high but I'm not sure it isn't just the angle on the picture. I'll have to check that out next time we're hitched up and on level ground. It tows beautifully just as it is, has good bedrail clearance, and is not overweight on the axles so I'll probably leave it just as it is.

Maybe someone with the 2005 F350 and 18 inch wheels will jump in so you have info from someone with the same setup.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote