Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-13-2005, 12:26 PM   #1
The Wind
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4200
satellite info

Being new to the Rving world, we see alot of people using the dish. Do you have to pay for the service 365 days of the year, even though we are not fulltimers yet? We do have it at the house that we live in.

The Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 12:39 PM   #2
FireTruckerWife
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1629
We have a spare dish, and then we move the receiver to the RV from the house when we're ready to go.
FireTruckerWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 01:07 PM   #3
RonS
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1316
You can also put your system on vacation, for about 5 bucks a month. Then when needed just call Dish Network and have them put you back in service. However when I had Dish Network I just moved the receiver to the 5th wheel and had another dish mounted on a tripod. Worked well for me. Did not watch TV very much when RVing, so went with a different service while at home, and just use the roof mounted air antenna when RVing.
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 01:13 PM   #4
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
If you are planning to full time you can take the reciever out of the house and take it with you. The satellite companies do what they call "spot beam" local channels, so if you are recieving locals out of Tampa, you ability to recieve these major networks will cease after about 300 miles from Tampa, but you can still use the dish and get all the satellite channels. You will just have to use your bat-wing on the Monty to pick up locals. If you were at Atlanta, it would be too far away to pick up Tampa stations.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 03:05 PM   #5
FireTruckerWife
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1629
Just a note here, we live south of reno, and got the spot beam for reno all the way to the Oregon Coast (689 miles driving distance)
FireTruckerWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 04:43 PM   #6
c5racer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #444
Direct TV charges $4.99 a month extra for each additional receiver.
c5racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 04:52 PM   #7
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Sharon-
That's a lot better than I can do on the spot beam, I lose mine about the Texas/Oklahoma border, about 300 miles as the crow flies from Houston.
Old 08-13-2005, 04:53 PM   #8
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Just a hint. If you still have a stick house and are going to buy an extra receiver for the Monty - it should list as in another room in your stick house and that is the 4.99 per month. But taking the receiver out of the house to the Monty works also. We need to get another dish. The one we had for the Monty will accept 2 receivers but now we have it hooked up at home anf we don't want to take it down when we go in the Monty. Have to do some work on finding another dish that takes 2 receivers. We have one for the bedroom also. If you tell them your 2nd receiver is for the RV, you have to pay for a whole service.
Happy trails.....................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 04:58 PM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Just go to best buy and get a dual LNB.Should be able to get a dish there also..Got mine at a garage sale for 5.00
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 04:59 PM   #10
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Sue-
Look on E-bay....Dish Network dual LNB dishes new are about $50.
Old 08-13-2005, 06:59 PM   #11
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Direct TV has an option where you, as an RVer, can get both LA and NYC feeds of the 4 major networks for about $8 extra / month. It is handy, for example, in being able to watch a particular network show early or late on the same day. Just takes a small amount of paperwork to set it up. We use it a lot as full timers. Some places have very limited or no "local" reception of the major networks.

I don't know if Dish has a similar option, but I would expect it does.
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 07:52 PM   #12
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Rich
That's the kind of deal I'm looking for!
Happy trails.......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 04:08 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
If you have the time check around at garage sales for Sat dishes..Most folks leave them when they move and if the new owners don't want them they wind up at a garage sale..also apartment buildings are a good place to find a dish. tenants move out and leave the dish..check with the apt mananger..they may have a storeroome full of them/////
Old 08-21-2005, 03:50 AM   #14
Montana_2921

M.O.C. #2921
TAKE A RECIEVER FROM YOUR HOME WHEN YOU TRAVEL
Montana_2921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 06:52 AM   #15
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
We are planning on selling the house and going FTing within a year. We currently have Charter for both cable and hi-speed internet. We like the hi speed. The Satellite hi speed costs seem VERY high. We could get a seperate cell phone with it's own service, I guess, for our laptops. Not real thrilled with the speed or potential costs, though. I will take any and all suggestions. Probably will go for sure with the satellite setup for TV. Our internet would be the biggest question mark. Also, do you need two seperate receivers for your Monty - one living room, one bedroom?
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 03:18 AM   #16
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
If you want the ability to watch two tv's at the same time with DIFFERENT channels then you would need two receivers.We just split one receiver off .Example the Tv here in my computer room is slaved off the receiver across the hall in the master bedroom..Are not usually in both places at the same time. On our 2700 mile trip this year we found that WIFI is becoming more and more available for INTERNET.We will also use our cell phone for access when WIFI is not available.I think that WIFI in the near future will be everywhere. When on the road we do not get on the INTERNET as often as here at home and is will be a rare occasion if you can't find INTERNET access once or twice a day when traveling.As for satellite Tv right now we use the extra dish and set it up outside the camper.Will maybe get the manual dish on the new unit.There are too many places were a clear shot to the satellite can't be had so the outside dish will be needed as a backup.
Old 08-23-2005, 03:52 AM   #17
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thank, Rich. Very helpful. Probabably go with wifi. We have a wireless network here at home. We also have phone with Bluetooth capability, which should work pretty good, too. Why are you going with the attached dish? Is the outside dish that much of a pain to setup? I know most campgrounds we have been to ~ in fact, I think every one ~ we have been totally surounded and covered with trees. Easier on the AC.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 06:01 AM   #18
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
dsprik..The outside dish is a snap to set up.Takes maybe 10 mins or less. Most places we camp are , as you said, covered with trees.Will have the new unit wired for the dish and perhaps later on decide we would like to have it.We will have the new unit wired for everything..washer/dryer/ generator, 2nd A/C/ Dish That way if we later decide we want any of those things we will be set up..We are getting the 3670
Old 08-23-2005, 06:12 AM   #19
Montana_4454
Established Member

M.O.C. #4454
you can git with dish and they will send you a form to fill out to recieve east and west coast regular channels to have them when you are on the road.
henry
Montana_4454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 07:46 AM   #20
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Local stations are not that big a deal.There is a TV in jack on the rear of your Sat receiver, run up your TV antenna and pull the local stations in via the TV antenna. If you are snowbirding for several months just log on to your Sat provider and sign up for the local stations, wherever you are.We just use the Tv in jack and use the Tv antenna for the local stations.Saves a few bucks..need it for fuel...We don't have the local stations on our direct Tv here at home.Tv antenna on the roof.When we want to watch a local station just turn off the Sat receiver and there it is....