Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-05-2005, 04:36 PM   #1
William H. Collier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #798
6.0 Injector problem

The last couple of weeks I noticed a serious miss in the 6.0 at idle. It did not happen all the time however last friday the check engine light came on and stayed on for a day. On saturday when I started it up it went out. I got an appointment at the dealer today, of course it ran fine all the way there. The tech hooked it up to the computer and in the memory it showed a injector failure on #2 cylinder. He replaced the injector and reprogramed the three computer modules and everything seems fine. Extremely fine service. The tech advised me that the new program he put in it was about the 4th or 5th update since the 6.0 came out.
Bill

William H. Collier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 03:54 PM   #2
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
There was a big problem in 2003 with injectors. Even though the truck may be out of warranty push the issue hard. I know someone that is on the independent review panel and every case like this they send back to Ford with recomendations to repair. The problem is the injectors themselves. Replaceing the FULL set will fix the problem. Force them to replace the set. I can bet if you push it they will fix it. Have the dealer refer to the service bulitins.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 04:38 PM   #3
William H. Collier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #798
The dealer did replace the one injector under warranty, and I did ask about replacing all of them. The tech who also has an 03 has had to replace two of his and he told me ford would only replace the ones that are bad. He said thay are $285 a piece plus two hours labor. Iam sure glad I didnt have to pay.
Old 07-12-2005, 04:45 PM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Bill, I agree with Rick on this. I know Rob Cooley had this problem in his early 2003 model and they replaced all the injectors. No more problems. We did not have this problem with our early 2003 6.0 but maybe we would have eventually. In any case you might want to contact Ford Customer Satisfaction and see if you can't get them all replaced. Otherwise at some point the cost is likely going to be on you. Your call, of course.

My understanding is this was only on the early 2003 models. The later ones had the newer injectors.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 10:15 PM   #5
wa4bmg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #592
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Bill, I agree with Rick on this. I know Rob Cooley had this problem in his early 2003 model and they replaced all the injectors. No more problems. We did not have this problem with our early 2003 6.0 but maybe we would have eventually. In any case you might want to contact Ford Customer Satisfaction and see if you can't get them all replaced. Otherwise at some point the cost is likely going to be on you. Your call, of course.

My understanding is this was only on the early 2003 models. The later ones had the newer injectors.
Steve is correct on both Rob Cooley and the early model 03's. We have a late model 03 F250 and with 55,000 miles ,no problems with injectors. The only problems we have had were a a seeping rear main oil seal and the water/fuel sensor. Both were fixed under the 100K engine warranty. I am sure ,if pressed Ford would replace all the injectors since it was such a big problem early on. Rob,s truck did a complete shut down. My understanding is that Ford even did some buy backs in extreme cases before the problem was solved. I may be needing correction on that one. Just my 2 cents worth.

wa4bmg
wa4bmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 03:16 PM   #6
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
That is my understanding as well, Ford had to buy a few trucks to keep the problem from getting out of hand...ie: the squeeky wheel got the grease. As I understand the story, when it came time to contract out fabrication of the injectors, Cat and IHC were the top picks as they were the ones that invented the hydraulic injector. Ford unwisely picked a different outfit to supply injectors at a much lower price, er that is up front. It cost them a bunch in customer relations after the fact. Suppliers were changed in time for the late 2003 model year. So the thing is if you have an early 2003 the injectors were made by the same supplier and likely one by one will go bad.
Old 07-13-2005, 04:23 PM   #7
William H. Collier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #798
I bought mine when the 04s just came out, I just went out and looked at the mfgt. date and it was put build 03-03, probalbly 6 to 8 months after the first ones. The tech gave me no indication that I had a problem with the rest of them.
Bill
Old 07-14-2005, 04:17 AM   #8
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
I was talking to my local ford diesel mechanic over a year ago about the then new 6.0 engines. He pulled me aside and told me to not even consider one. Said the same thing for the '04. He had to take apart a brand new 6.0 with only 10's of miles on it to install internal gaskets that the factory didn't... At the time there were also design issues that Ford and Navistar were finger pointing about (so said my mechanic). He has done well for me with this truck so I'll take heed to his word.

BTW: The ultimate failure mode for the early '03 injectors is to leak full flow fuel all the time and hydrolock the engine at highway speeds. As you can imagine, you have a big piece of scrap iron under the hood when that happens. Personally, I'd sell an early '03 before the engine warranty runs out.

Rough numbers for the 7.3:
Replacing all injectors - $2,000
Replacing the engine - $8,000

6.0 prices may be higher????

That said, I'd LOVE to get my hands on one of the '05's!!!!

Eric
Montana_2785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 03:09 PM   #9
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
I would not sell my 2005 except to buy 2! I love mine. Love the power and very impressed how quiet it is. I think Ford finally got it right and in my opinion building one heck of a truck.
Old 07-14-2005, 06:01 PM   #10
Bob Pasternak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #800
Send a message via ICQ to Bob Pasternak
Buying two is a great idea. Gives you one to drive while the other is in the shop!!!

FORD:
Frigin Old Rebuilt Dodge
First On Recall Day
First On Rust and Deterioration
Fix Or Repair Daily
Found On Road, Dead
Fault Of Research and Development
Fast Only Rolling Downhill
Features O.J. and Ron's DNA
Found On Russian Dump
Fraternal Order of Restored DeSoto's
Ford backwards: Drivers returning on foot.
Forward Only, Reverse Defective
Fast On Repair Demands

GMC
Got a Mechanic Coming?
Garage Man's Companion
General Motors Cashcow
Guaranteed Mechanical Calamity

CHEVROLET:
Can Hear Every Valve Rap On Long Extended Trips
Cheap, Hardly Efficient, Virtually Runs On Luck Every Time
Car Has Extensive Valve Rattle On Long Extended Trips
Car Has Earnhardt Victorious Racing Or Lapping Every Track
Cracked Heads, Every Valve Rattles, Oil Leaks Every Time

Could only find two for Dodge.

DODGE:
Drips Oil, Drops Grease Everywhere
Damn Old Dirty Gas Eater
Bob Pasternak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 08:51 PM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Bill, I think my '03 was built in March, 2003, like yours. 51k miles without a single injector problem before we traded it for the '05 crew cab. So I suspect yours has the newer injectors although I don't know for sure about that.

I haven't heard of any problems in the later '03's and after. Just the early '03's, similar to the early models from both the other major mfrs. In any case I'm glad the birthing pains are over now.
Old 07-16-2005, 02:07 AM   #12
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
I see Bob covered them all. Someone was asking me about my truck and I had told him that in my opinion Ford is building the best right now...not to say GM wont have it next year. Dodge would have it at any time if they would do something with the body and suspension being weak.
Old 07-16-2005, 11:21 AM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I consider trukdoc to have a ton of credibility since he is a diesel mechanic.

Old 07-16-2005, 11:26 AM   #14
HomeOnTheRoad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1104
Bob Pasternak, I know your recent posts about Fords have been all in fun but please be very careful. We try very hard here to avoid brand wars. It is very difficult to see the smile behind the comment and it can be very easily misconstrued. Don't mean to offend, just cautioning you to be careful. Thanks.
HomeOnTheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 03:04 AM   #15
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Steve that would'nt be a biased comment...would it..lol. And for Bob I seen the humor in your post abd that it included all brands even though there were only 2 for Dodge.
Old 07-17-2005, 07:25 AM   #16
Bob Pasternak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #800
Send a message via ICQ to Bob Pasternak
Truck Doc: Nearly all vehicle names are acronyms. Click the sites below to see more. Years ago when I first started driving there was a truck named REO. (for Ransom E. Oldsmobile) We called it Runs Empty Only

http://www.1motormart.com/acronyms.htm

http://www.fakecrap.com/funfree/carnames.html
Bob Pasternak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 05:06 PM   #17
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
Send a message via AIM to ragdoll Send a message via MSN to ragdoll
Ours is in the shop again!! They still haven't looked at it but we are hoping to have it back by Tuesday next week as we are anxiously waiting to get on the road. A week ago Monday we headed to the lake - me towing Monty and Jack had the SUV with the boat behind me - the next thing he knew I had slowed to almost a crawl, flashers went on to warn him I was having trouble. No power with pedal to the floor, next temp gage started to climb. Pulled over and idled a few minutes and able to get moving again, power came back but as power started failing the bucking began. Waiting to hear if the injectors are starting to fail as we now have black smoke that pours out. This among all the problems of turbo boost failure etc. With only 23,000 miles on it we fortunately are still under warranty and we have until Feb '06 since we were an early '03 we worry about the injectors since we also know that they are the early ones. We were also told they only replace the ones that fail - you would think that it would be in their best interest to replace them all. They told us they have the new computer program update so we will see. I think they finally got the wrinkles out of '05's - less hope so anyway.

Safe travels.
Lorraine
ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 04:07 PM   #18
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
The squeeky wheel will get greased.
I believe in being nice till it is time to be not nice. What I am saying if you accept what they tell you and you go on. The dealer will not have a problem with that at all. Raise a stink about your time and inconvienance and how this is a known problem...Check your states Bureu of Automotive Repair and of coarse BBB. Start squeeking LOUD and you will get some grease.
Old 07-22-2005, 06:27 PM   #19
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
Send a message via AIM to ragdoll Send a message via MSN to ragdoll
After Jack called the head guy at the dealership, low and behold 4 hrs later our truck was fixed! Another problem with the EGR Value (replaced), a few more sensors replaced, air intake hose loose (I think this was an oversight from Feb, the last time it was in) plus what is the newest computer reprogramming done. Less hope it stays fixed this time - getting a little tired of wasted time and extra camping money spent trying to get the truck in while on the road. We also learned that in Feb (this yr) that they replaced an injector - so guess this is starting for us on replacement - all checked out this time around. Apparently, when it starts to over heat things start shutting down. Making plans to leave out Wednesday morning to head back east.

Safe travels.
Lorraine
ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 04:38 PM   #20
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Good luck and have a great trip East!