Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Old 08-12-2015, 02:18 AM   #41
Wheelhouse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11462
Finally making the change again. While we were in Prescott we has tire issues and were told to go to Vanguard 235/85 r16. Two short trips later, the tires are falling apart. Now recommendation it is to for Goodyear 235/85 R16. They giving u some credit back, but was not expecting another tire change. Lost count in changes. Anyone thoughts on these before I bite the bullet here? Fortunately the tire failures were caught at the tire shop for a nail in tire. Is this the right choice?? 2007 3500RL 4-slides

Wheelhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 03:16 AM   #42
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Are they ST tires? If so you do not won't them.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 08:28 AM   #43
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
There are many tires of that size. What is important is the load rating, not just the load range. If you put an LT tire on in that size, it could be load range 'E', and that most likely will have a load capacity of 3042 lbs. The tires that have been talked about are Goodyear G614, which are load range 'G', and have a load capacity of 3750 lbs. The 'E' tires are called a 10 ply rated tire, where the 'G' tires are called a 14 ply rated tire, and in the case of the G614, the tire is 100% steel cords, much more durable than the 10 ply LT or ST tires.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 04:39 PM   #44
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
While getting new truck tires installed the Costco employee looked at a little bigger tire 285/16 and just by going to a wider tire I could pick up three or four hundred pounds more capacity still in a load range E. My stock rims were to narrow to support the wider tire so that was a no go but they are still rated at 3340 if I remember correctly. I think the G load range tires are a great tire, especially with the extra plys. I also think if people check their rim width they might be able to get more capacity with a bit wider tire if the rims will support it. Similar to needing rims that will support 105 lbs pressure for the G rated tires. If I looked correctly at $350 dollars plus or minus a tire these 614's are pretty pricey.

Tom Marty
Old 08-14-2015, 08:31 PM   #45
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Spending the money on the G tires is like the old saying, 'pay now or pay later'. If you feel lucky, stay with the 10 ply ST tires. We went through 5 of those tires, and were very lucky that I caught all of them prior to total failure. After the 5th one, decided to bite the bullet and got a set of G614's. I can now cruise along without constantly looking in the mirrors for tire debris flying off the trailer.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 11:10 AM   #46
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
I understand what you are saying Bob and I am sure that for piece of mind the 614's are great. If your trailer weight is not to high or your rims would need to be replaced to run the 105 lbs pressure than there could be other alternatives. Similar to buying 19.5 rims and tires for all the TV's that don't already have them. I would have to say that having 19.5" tires on your truck would be the safest route compared to the 16",18", and 20" tires. I was just trying to let people know that they can get higher load rating in the same series tire if they broaden their search. Some rigs weigh a lot more than others. My 3160 happens to have 7k axles but is shorter than a lot of other rigs so I have a lot more load capacity than some others and if I don't use that net weight than my axle weight is way less. There is no totally right or wrong (except maybe Maribomb) just different senerios of weights, travel distance and peoples budgets.

Tom Marty
Old 08-15-2015, 11:21 AM   #47
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Still, I am not sure why you would want your tire to be the weak link.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 03:34 PM   #48
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dam Worker

While getting new truck tires installed the Costco employee looked at a little bigger tire 285/16 and just by going to a wider tire I could pick up three or four hundred pounds more capacity still in a load range E. My stock rims were to narrow to support the wider tire so that was a no go but they are still rated at 3340 if I remember correctly. I think the G load range tires are a great tire, especially with the extra plys. I also think if people check their rim width they might be able to get more capacity with a bit wider tire if the rims will support it. Similar to needing rims that will support 105 lbs pressure for the G rated tires. If I looked correctly at $350 dollars plus or minus a tire these 614's are pretty pricey.

Tom Marty
Have you verified your certified axle loads depicted on your trailer's certification label (GAWR)? It's found on the LH FWD external section of the trailer.

Unless there is a notation on it as to the specific tire load capacity, the certification label probably says it has GAWR axles certified at 6750# or 6850#. That's because some of the ST235/80R16E tires only provide 3420# of load capacity and that disqualifies them for service on 7000# GAWR axles.

Tires for RV trailers are fitted to each GAWR. They must support the GAWR not the GAW.
CalandLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 03:56 PM   #49
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
Not only have I read the weight I have stopped at two different scales to see actual weight by certified scale. What I am trying to say is everyone is screaming about trailer axle weight but nobody is talking about TV weight. I guess I am not sure what the difference is? To me they are both important. My guess is that a lot of people are really worried about trailer weight and going to G rated tires but I do not see the same worry about their TV weight? More people need to stop at some scales and actually see what their setup weighs. Most highway scales are open even if their is nobody too actually verify what you way. I myself will not worry about G rated tires for awhile because I know that I am not even close to what my axle weight is. It is almost funny to read about trailer weight but when I look at the polls there are more SRW tow vehicles then dualies. This is like the 62 MPH that some people follow like a state law. In my humble opinion people should be able to tow their rigs at a speed that they are set up to tow verse a random number somebody chooses.
I am sure that some will bash me for being actually honest. Some people should probable never go over 45/50 because they can not handle any problems above that. Other people can probably go a bit more than that as they are able to handle different speeds compared to other drivers.

Tom marty
Old 08-16-2015, 04:05 AM   #50
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rames14

Still, I am not sure why you would want your tire to be the weak link.
I totally agree.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 04:10 AM   #51
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dam Worker

Not only have I read the weight I have stopped at two different scales to see actual weight by certified scale. What I am trying to say is everyone is screaming about trailer axle weight but nobody is talking about TV weight. I guess I am not sure what the difference is? To me they are both important. My guess is that a lot of people are really worried about trailer weight and going to G rated tires but I do not see the same worry about their TV weight? More people need to stop at some scales and actually see what their setup weighs. Most highway scales are open even if their is nobody too actually verify what you way. I myself will not worry about G rated tires for awhile because I know that I am not even close to what my axle weight is. It is almost funny to read about trailer weight but when I look at the polls there are more SRW tow vehicles then dualies. This is like the 62 MPH that some people follow like a state law. In my humble opinion people should be able to tow their rigs at a speed that they are set up to tow verse a random number somebody chooses.
I am sure that some will bash me for being actually honest. Some people should probable never go over 45/50 because they can not handle any problems above that. Other people can probably go a bit more than that as they are able to handle different speeds compared to other drivers.

Tom marty
We have IS so we weigh each wheel seperately and on our rig anyway there is a significant difference between side of trailer and each wheel on that side are different also. For us, the 614's are a no brainer. As to driving speed, reaction times and ability to control the rig during a tire failure or other road emergency is greatly impacted by every MPH you increase. Even more so in the high speed ranges.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 04:18 AM   #52
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I understand your point. My HC weighs 9200 pounds and my truck weighs 8400. Take 1760 pound pin weight now my truck weighs 10160 and my camper weighs 7440. All dry weights. Even then I will not run ST tires. Those that ignore history are doomed to repeat it.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 06:01 AM   #53
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
First, tires and brakes are the most important items on your rig. Even if you were to replace them every year it would be far less expensive then a funereal.
Second, the faster you drive the faster bad things happen. There are far to many drivers doing crazy things that you have no controll off.
Third, take care of what you can controle. Tires, brakes, speed and seat belts.
Add 40 GAL tank in bed.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote