Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-21-2011, 10:46 AM   #1
lenlin84
Established Member

M.O.C. #7530
HHO devices

Has anyone given thought to or tried using an HHO gas generator to increase fuel mileage? I've been looking at the claims that they can make a big differance in increasing fuel milage by introducing combustable gas generated from cracking water into its compoenant parts of hydrogen and oxygen and introducing that into the intake. Its supposed to make the diesel fuel burn more completely thus gaining increased efficiency from the pump diesel we use and get ripped-off for every day.

lenlin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 12:32 PM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
There was a long discussion about this very issue about a year ago. You might be brave and try a SEARCH. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Good luck. Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 02:41 PM   #3
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Actually Dennis, I think it was more like two years ago. One of the the proponents was member blarkman. The OP might try emailing him if a Search doesn't turn up something of value. I think he sold his Montana and has an SOB so he doesn't visit here frequently. Ergo the suggestion to use email.

Here is a link to a six page discussion on " Hydrogen from water and getting 30mpg on diesel"
http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29958&SearchTerms=hydrogen

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 03:07 PM   #4
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
If they worked wonder why the auto companies don't use them. Wouldn't, say Ford love to have a diesel truck that got twice the fuel mileage of Dodge or Chevy. Wonder why they are not on all over the road trucks. The reason is simple. They don't work.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 06:43 PM   #5
lenlin84
Established Member

M.O.C. #7530
Thanks for the replies. I went to the thread posted by Carl n Susan -- read all 6 pages. From what I gather equipment for producing HHO has come a long way since '08. From what I've seen on the internet, they now have complete units for sale in different sizes depending on your engine size. Mlh thought that because the auto companies don't use this technology it must be bogus, and he well may be right. I believe that the oil companies are so powerful that they have ordered the auto companies to not use this or any technology that may hurt their profits. All I know is that I'm getting sick to death of being ripped off by the oil industry and the wall street speculators. I remember back in my youth, when gas was 35 cents a gallon and diesel was 15 to 20 cents, the oil companies were the richest companies around at those prices. All that being said, if there is a way to increase my mileage by even a little and gyp the oil industry out of a few cents ---- I'll do it in a heart beat. It looks like more investigation is in order. Lets all take another look at this technology and see if we can come up with concrete proof of whether this is worth spending money on or not. The other alternitives are Propane or Natural Gas injection systems. I'm game for anything that works and doesn't hurt my PowerStroke!!
lenlin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 07:09 PM   #6
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Carl,
Thanks. My how time flies! This topic appears to be one of those "never ending" types. Happy Trails, Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 05:22 AM   #7
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I would also like to see some scientific proof. people see what they would like to see. Somebody puts one on his truck and sees better fuel mileage. Sure that person drove a lot easier and didn't quite fill up his tank. Thats the result you would expect to see. Its like the tuner I put on my truck. I read over and over that I would get 3 to 4 miles per gallon better mileage, and that would be nice but it simply is not true. 1 MPG would be closer. I've got a nicer truck but better fuel mileage, UMM no.
Lynwood
Old 10-22-2011, 03:41 PM   #8
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

I have a fried of mine spend about 2 years trying to get this to work.

The bottom line is it can be made to work but the cost is high.

You have to use AC electric in the converter. This converts the water to Oxygen and Hydrogen. The gas engine of today works good using this system and the mileage increase was significant.

The draw back. You need a 3,000-watt DC to AC converter and the alternator and battery bank to support it. By testing in time he got it to work he had mounted a gas engine generator in the back of the pickup to produce the AC.

His conclusion was that it could not be adapted to a vehicle without modifications that would result in great weight and possibly limiting the vehicles it could be used on by the lack of room to mount an alternator large enough to produce the DC for the battery bank that would be required. It also would not be cost effective to operate or to install.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 07:08 AM   #9
Dave Nowlin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7253
I probably spent around $1,000 chasing this theory. I ended up with an HHO generator that was drawing about 60 amps from my oversize alternator and producing about 5 g.p.m. of HHO. My system had the bubbler, the generator and a scrubber (to stop carry over into the intake) It required lots of upkeeep staying on top of distilled water consumption and the power was drawn through 10 gauge cables feed through a relay. In the end it really didn't help my g.p.m. and I finally took it all off. I spent a lot of time on HHO forums back then and even the most ardent proponents of the idea all seemed to gradually fall by the wayside. The only people who seemed to continue advocating for it were those who were selling equipment. I would suggest searching for a different snake to squeeze oil from.
Dave Nowlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 01:48 AM   #10
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dave Nowlin

I probably spent around $1,000 chasing this theory. I ended up with an HHO generator that was drawing about 60 amps from my oversize alternator and producing about 5 g.p.m. of HHO. My system had the bubbler, the generator and a scrubber (to stop carry over into the intake) It required lots of upkeeep staying on top of distilled water consumption and the power was drawn through 10 gauge cables feed through a relay. In the end it really didn't help my g.p.m. and I finally took it all off. I spent a lot of time on HHO forums back then and even the most ardent proponents of the idea all seemed to gradually fall by the wayside. The only people who seemed to continue advocating for it were those who were selling equipment. I would suggest searching for a different snake to squeeze oil from.

Excellent post. People sometimes forget or don't understand that if systems like these worked, the auto companies would be all over them. Auto companies spend millions of dollars trying to figure out ways to get more mileage out of their vehicles. They do this because of mandated fuel economy and because everyone buying a vehicle demands the best economy they can get. To think that the auto industry would ignore any of these device if they actually worked is insane. It's too bad you had to spend so much money to find this out, but at least your experience can help dissuade others from wasting their money.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 01:39 PM   #11
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
X2
Excellent post. People sometimes forget or don't understand that if systems like these worked, the auto companies would be all over them. Auto companies spend millions of dollars trying to figure out ways to get more mileage out of their vehicles. They do this because of mandated fuel economy and because everyone buying a vehicle demands the best economy they can get. To think that the auto industry would ignore any of these device if they actually worked is insane. It's too bad you had to spend so much money to find this out, but at least your experience can help dissuade others from wasting their money

Old 11-17-2011, 03:22 AM   #12
fauch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11342
I don't personally think that the automotive industry would be excited about such a device. H generation can be energy ineffecient. And don't think that there is not an inter-industry incentive for fuel guzzlers. But the REAL give-away as to the validity of such a device would be a waiting line and a back-order list at the supplier of such a device, and I have not seen it. Also when magic like this is real it would be popular,.....i don't know a soul who owns one.
fuel efficientcy demands imposed on the auto industry apply to the product fleet.
fauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 09:14 AM   #13
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by fauch

I don't personally think that the automotive industry would be excited about such a device. H generation can be energy ineffecient. And don't think that there is not an inter-industry incentive for fuel guzzlers. But the REAL give-away as to the validity of such a device would be a waiting line and a back-order list at the supplier of such a device, and I have not seen it. Also when magic like this is real it would be popular,.....i don't know a soul who owns one.
fuel efficientcy demands imposed on the auto industry apply to the product fleet.
CAFE standards are indeed applicable to the product fleet, which means all of that manufacturers cars and light trucks (GVRWW of 8,500lbs or less). While that excludes trucks like we use, HHO systems are supposed to work with gas as well as diesel. Again, if these units really worked, all the manufacturers would be using them, without question. You wouldn't believe the gyrations GM goes through to wring out fuel economy, and I know they aren't alone. As for gas hogs, the industry typically builds what the buyers demand, and it's hard to produce a big vehicle that gets good mileage. That's is what GM into bankruptcy: people were buying trucks and Hummers, and when gas hit $4 a gallon, everyone stopped buying. BTW: go look up the fuel economy for the 2012 Rolls Royce's (of course if you can afford one of those, fuel economy isn't a concern!).
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 11:19 AM   #14
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
Here is another reference that calls the HHO system a scam.
The bottom line seems to be that the energy required to generate enough hydrogen to make a difference negates the difference. AND...considering how hungry an engine at highway speeds is for air and how little hydrogen is actually generated, the system just cannot work.

For me the idea is to save money...not spend it on gadgets that the automotive industry will not endorse.
lasater is offline   Reply With Quote