Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-24-2011, 08:31 PM   #1
BrokenElbow
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6835
Rearview Camera

Is there a rearview camera that you folks have found works well? Are they as useful as they might seem to be? Thanks.

BrokenElbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 01:11 AM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Good morning Steve,
What are you doing up at 2:30 A.M.? Can't sleep like me at 5:30 a.m.? Ha.
I think every RV should have them, not only when backing but when going down the road. I know when I can see the vehicle in the camera that I am passing, I know I can pull back in the right lane.
If you get a trailer camera and monitor, go ahead and get a camera for the truck. You will love it. No more backing over shopping carts, scaring old ladies and children when backing out of the grocery store.
The monitor has two inputs, when not towing, just push the A-B switch and you have the truck camera engaged.
We use Tim@rvcams mostly here, he is a RV'er and really good customer service comes with the cameras. I had a camera that was a couple of month's out of warranty, Tim fixed me up with a new one.
Here are some pictures of the installs.
http://s112.photobucket.com/albums/n...20for%20truck/
http://s112.photobucket.com/albums/n194/JimsSue13/Ozzsmods101/Truck%20rear%20view%20camera/
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 01:17 AM   #3
Johnnyg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9710
I had the factory install the Voyager wireless model. It seems to work ok.
At first I didn’t find it as useful when compared to the motorhome we had. Guess I just felt more comfortable using the mirrors in the beginning but over time I started to use it more.
I do find it helpful when changing lanes if traveling the interstate highways and since it's 12 volt I'm able to plug the monitor in bedside and use it as a security camera looking aft.
Johnnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 03:37 AM   #4
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
We had major problems with our factory installed Voyager system. It started out fine, but after two trips it conked out. We took it back off and on for the next two years. It worked about half the time. At one point the camera was replaced. Power cords to the monitor are poorly designed, and we lost two of them. This past fall we finally got a new monitor, but only thanks to our extended warranty. I installed a cable tie to the power cord to make it last longer, and so far this year it is still working. (three trips). Bottom line is when it works it is a great piece of equipment. I especially love the sound feature, so when backing I can hear my DW in her spotter duties. Mayhaps not the best unit on the market, but I do love having it.
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 06:23 AM   #5
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Several of us have gone with Tim at RV Cams. I installed the 56 CHNV on my fiver. Works great. I had experimented with wireless, but they just didn't work well. http://www.rvcams.com/Default.htm
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 08:56 PM   #6
BrokenElbow
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6835
Ozz: I'm an early riser and pretty immersed in getting the new 5er ready to go before our 1st trip (April 13th). I saw RVCAMS web sit before. I like the idea of getting two cameras, if you guys say Tim is a good guy, I'll give him a call and see what he recommends. Thanks for the pictures.

Johnnyg and Washley1: When I ordered (Dec 2010), the rearview camera as a factory option was still on the price list. I ordered it. I was then called and told they don't offer it anymore at the factory.

Johnnyg: I'm thinking that the 38' from the back of the 3455 to the front is too far for a wireless system to work well so I was looking at a wired one.

Washley1: thanks for the tip on the cord, I'll watch for that.

Thanks guys, I guess I'll call Tim and see what he recommends.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:01 PM   #7
BrokenElbow
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6835
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dieselguy

Several of us have gone with Tim at RV Cams. I installed the 56 CHNV on my fiver. Works great. I had experimented with wireless, but they just didn't work well. http://www.rvcams.com/Default.htm
I agree, I'm going to try a wired one. I have to decide how to run the wire so it's a nice install.
Old 03-26-2011, 01:03 AM   #8
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Steve,
I wired mine the only way I could think of (easily) by drilling straight thru to the cabinet inside, then ran the cable over to the right and down the wall. The curtains cover the wire, so no-one can see it. I ran it over under my desk, then drilled through to the bottom and all the way up front. You can see in my first link above.
You could drill into the hollow rear cap, then 'fish' it all the way to the underside, but it would be a tough way to do it.
One tip is to get the coiled plug wire, I will go find a picture for it. If you use the factory co-ax, it will wear out plugging and un-plugging it. Mu second link shows the truck camera install. Tim may have those coiled connectors.
Here:
http://www.rvcams.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=RBCARVS&Produc t_Code=CH-HDD1

Old 03-26-2011, 02:20 AM   #9
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

Our 2009 came with a backup camera. The camera was wired to the transmitter in the front of the trailer. The unit didn’t work at all. The dealer had his expert electrician work on it for a couple of hours. They couldn’t get it working. A month or so latter because I was curious I opened the access panel inside the front closet and the one in the rear cabinets. I found something so astounding it isn’t even funny. The expert electrician apparently is unable to see. The camera was unplugged at the back of the trailer. I plugged it in and it started working. The picture is very good. The only problem I have is me. After many years of driving big trucks first with very large loads (40 ft wide and 60 ft long) then 18 wheelers for a few years I have a problem getting use to using a camera.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 03:00 AM   #10
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BrokenElbow

Ozz: I'm an early riser and pretty immersed in getting the new 5er ready to go before our 1st trip (April 13th). I saw RVCAMS web sit before. I like the idea of getting two cameras, if you guys say Tim is a good guy, I'll give him a call and see what he recommends. Thanks for the pictures.

Johnnyg and Washley1: When I ordered (Dec 2010), the rearview camera as a factory option was still on the price list. I ordered it. I was then called and told they don't offer it anymore at the factory.

Johnnyg: I'm thinking that the 38' from the back of the 3455 to the front is too far for a wireless system to work well so I was looking at a wired one.

Washley1: thanks for the tip on the cord, I'll watch for that.

Thanks guys, I guess I'll call Tim and see what he recommends.
If you look at the tip of the cord where it goes into the monitor, it is like two skinny wires going into the plug. Lots of back an forth motion and one or the other breaks. I turned the whole wire up along the support post that goes to the window, and zip lined it to the post. So it goes up along there before angling back to the power spot on the dash. That coupled with very careful handling will hopefully keep it going. As I said, very bad engineering. Might be part of why it is no longer a factory option. Perhaps one of the hard wired types would be better.
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 03:34 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Have the same unit as dieselguy from the same place.Had it since week one and would not be on the road without it.It is a huge safety device.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 06:01 AM   #12
Sky
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9806
Ozz - quick question....the camera on your truck - How waterproof is it?. Having one on the back of the truck is a great idea but once in awhile I will launch
a boat for a friend and there are times the bumper will go under water no matter how hard you try not to let it happen (tides and angle of the ramp etc will
cause the bumper to go under). Basically I am wondering if it could go under without causing any damage.
Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 06:05 AM   #13
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I hit it with the pressure washer every time I wash the truck, so I think it would be good.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:36 AM   #14
lcarter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7240
I have a wired voyager side and rear view. I use the rear view when backing into spots as well as down the road. It is a great help when checking trailing traffic. I don't use the side view much. It does help when changing lanes but I prefer the mirrors for that.
I recommend them as a great addition to safety. I also got mine from Tim at RV Cams.
Thanks,
LCarter
lcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 01:51 PM   #15
BrokenElbow
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6835
Ozz: Thanks for the tip and pictures.

Guys: Thanks a lot, very good info.

I'll call Tim tomorrow and see what he recommends. I'm having a lot of fun putting the Monty together for my 1st trip in April.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:31 AM   #16
BrokenElbow
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6835
I called rvcam.com and talked to Brent. He recommended two systems to me, the 713 (wired 7") and the 56wxsys (semi wired). I like the semi wired to avoid wiring in the tv. It's wired to a transmitter on the front cap or pin box. What do you guys think?
Old 03-29-2011, 09:20 AM   #17
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I don't have any experience on that, but I always prefer wired in general.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:10 PM   #18
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
We also ordered our rig with the wireless rear-view backup camera and were also tol it was no longer available. After a few conversations with Keystone reps, I was told that there were occasional reception and interference problems with the wireless model, primarily related to Chevy and GMC trucks. We went with the Voyager wired model and the heavy duty coiled connector. Our monitor is a five inch model, I could not imagine having a seven inch model since the five inch is so large!! Bottom line, we went with the wired model and the heavy duty connector (pricey but I think it is worth it) and are very pleased with the results.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 11:52 AM   #19
tanner1070
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11365
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BrokenElbow

I called rvcam.com and talked to Brent. He recommended two systems to me, the 713 (wired 7") and the 56wxsys (semi wired). I like the semi wired to avoid wiring in the tv. It's wired to a transmitter on the front cap or pin box. What do you guys think?
So Brokenarrow...Have you picked out a camera system yet? I too am looking. I love the idea of wireless, but I have not heard many good experiences with the wireless systems in my research.
tanner1070 is offline   Reply With Quote