Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-02-2010, 07:48 AM   #1
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
Someone tested my anti-theft alarm and lost

As I looked at my F250 this morning I noticed the drivers door was not locked. I tried to lock it using the 8/9 button and it wouldn't lock. Kept trying, using the inside auto lock...no luck. Tried my key and oops it had been broken. grr After looking some more I saw the ignition switch was destroyed, totally. grr grr
I am thankful nothing was stolen, gps, hands-free phone device, ipod player, brake control, socket kit and much more was still there, not even touched.
I have a customized anti-theft system I made that kept the Ford sitting in my driveway. I installed a hidden switch that breaks the circuit that allows you to put the vehicle in gear. (you know the one that requires you to step on the brake to put into gear.) Guess I sorta won that one.

grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 08:22 AM   #2
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

Your insurance company should appreciate what you did.
I would tell them how you avoided a theft.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:33 AM   #3
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
My DW commented, "If you hadn't installed your anti-device thing maybe you would have gotten that new truck you want."

Since Fords are a popular auto to steal I would recommend this simple solution to immobilize your truck. Only cost was a switch and fuse and a couple feet of wire. I have always been planning sometime to add another hidden switch to honk the horn when you step on the brakes.
Now there is a good one for Ozz. Everybody in the county would know if someone tried to steal his truck with all those horns!
Old 12-02-2010, 08:59 AM   #4
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
I installed our security system in my F350 after a local young male (15-20) popped the lock and stole my Tire Monitor, walkie-talkie set and computer plug in for the truck while it was parked in my driveway. All of the stuff is not worth a plug nickle at the local flea market or drug dealer. He missed the new jumper cables sitting in the back seat--see I told you he was an idiot. The policeman across the street showed me how the robber used a screwdriver on the lock. Needless to say the policeman is packing some real HEAT and knows how to use it. Next time, the idiot may have a few holes in him!
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 10:54 AM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Good job! Sorry some low-life got to your truck. Good thimkin' on the anti-theft!
That is in my near future, I will pick your brain when the time comes.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 12:00 PM   #6
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
Pick away, not a whole lot left... As the RCMP said the F250 is near to the top of stolen vehicles, so any deterrent would help. I have read of some who disconnect the hot wire to starter solenoid and feed the hot wire from the cigarette lighter. I other words the cigarette lighter must be pushed in to complete the circuit to the starter solenoid.
My next project for the past two years was to put another hidden switch to activate the horn when you step on the brake pedal. So with my set up a thief would try to put the truck in gear and it would not go in gear because that circuit was off, then step on the brakes Honk honk. Perhaps he would leave without too much damage? As they say, noise and light are a great deterrent.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:16 PM   #7
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Seems fair that "messin" with a man's truck should be an automatic hangin offense.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 02:36 PM   #8
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Grampatchet,
Sorry that your truck was messed with. Sure happy they didn't get it. I hope there was not too much damage.

I think the perfect "alarm" system would be along the lines that have already been mentioned PLUS when the brakes are engaged the windows (bullet proof of course) would go up and the doors would lock and could only be opened from the outside. Perhaps even make certain that the "true" sound of the RR horns are 'presented' to the perp locked in the cab.

Now that would be an alarm system! Wonder if that sound would ever get out of his mind?
HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 02:38 PM   #9
thor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6133
now if you could come up with a switch that would send 50,000 volts if he stepped on the brake i would buy that system.lol
thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 03:01 PM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I think I would be more upset with things being taken from the truck or auto. We have a lot of goodies in them that would take awhile to replace. If the thief would throw all the goodies out of the truck and take the truck I would be highly Pi$%#@ but would get a nice shiny new truck. We have a simple motion alarm that makes NOISE.

The skilled professional thief is gonna get your truck. The kid or druggie looking for a quick buck will most likely be run off with a loud noise.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 06:21 AM   #11
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
Here is a new thought that came to me last night as I fretted about my dilemma. With another hidden switch, have the AIRBAGS deploy when you step on the brakes. Now that should slow the scumbags down! It was just a thought,not something I would do......maybe.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:48 AM   #12
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
What's the current going price on a crate of dynamite?
Larry
Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 06:56 AM   #13
Alwims
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10623
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by grampachet

Here is a new thought that came to me last night as I fretted about my dilemma. With another hidden switch, have the AIRBAGS deploy when you step on the brakes. Now that should slow the scumbags down! It was just a thought,not something I would do......maybe.
I can guarantee you, with this system, I would forget to turn it off and get the air bag myself. CRS is a bad disease you know.
Alwims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:13 AM   #14
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
...and that is one of the reasons I would not install that one. I just found out that within the immediate area there have been 4 F250/350 stolen plus the attempt on mine. Our house and both houses on the south side of us, the from the street behind us. Must be a neighbor??? And we live in a very nice, quiet neighborhood. So I wonder, what do I expect when I get it back from the body shop? Since noise seems to be a deterrent, I think I will install a micro switch inside the drivers door lock mechanism so when a key or screwdriver is inserted the horn will honk. I always use the key fob or the door key pad so this might work OK.
Old 12-06-2010, 03:46 PM   #15
sfish
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10234
One of Ozz's horns and a picture of the wizards heater from this weekend taped to the dash and you will be cleaning up brown skid marks all the way to the scum bags bridge he lives under.
sfish is offline   Reply With Quote