Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 06-06-2010, 05:49 AM   #1
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Tornado In Illinois

Last night we had terrible storms here in Illinois. A tornado touched down in our friends town. Our friends camper and van were a total loss. Their truck had the windows blown out and their home lost the roof and windows. The camper couch is in the trees with wood pieces stuck everywhere in the ground. I am just glad that they are ok.
It was unbelievable how many campers choose to stay in there rvs last night when told to take cover in the restroom! Luckily the tornado did not touch here but about 23 miles south.

campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 06:39 AM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Prayers for your friends. Glad they were not hurt.

It was wild up here in lower Michigan last night too, the tornados jumped all round us. 5 miles north of the stick, 30 miles south and east from the sticke. The one east touched down, hit a motel, had to evacuate 500 guests, minor injuries as far as I have heard.

Don't be messing with Mother Nature when she is in a snit!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 08:19 AM   #3
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
We are in Lincoln at Camp-A-While. We didn't have much choice but to stay put, there was no other place to go here. We watched the storm pass just to the north of us, it was an awesome sight. The lightening was almost continuous and the thunder was a continuous for about a half hour. We watched the storm on the radar online till the wind and rain "tweaked" the Hughes dish a tiny bit out of alignment. I got it back in alignment this morning. We got hit with some terrible rain and a bit of the wind but the tornado touched down about 15 miles from us. That is why I made that post on Facebook about wishing we were home in northern Wisconsin where snow in June is possible but tornadoes are rare. We head north Tuesday and it won't be too soon for me...
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 10:52 AM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Wow, that's rough. I hope everyone can recover quickly. It's ironic that even with warnings one can try and run for cover, but what do you do when you have no where to go and/or can't take everything with you. Someone pays the price it seems.

And all I worry about is an occasional earthquake. To date, midwest Tornadoes and southeastern hurricanes have certainly cause far more damage! It does NOT mean we are all out of the woods. Stay safe y'all!
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 11:15 AM   #5
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Sorry to hear about your friends and their belongings! At least they are well and safe! Possesions can always be replaced, except for photos and some greatly cherished items but a persons life is the most precious and glad they have that.
Just watching the damage in Ohio and the loss of lives there on the Weather Channel and it is not a pretty sight or a pleasant thing to hear! The far Eastern coast is catching the blunt of it now. Hope all come out of this OK!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 11:24 AM   #6
junglejim
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9245
campbud, sorry to hear about your friends loss. At least they are OK. Those same storms that ripped through NW Ohio is where my wife is from and we just left there Sat. A tornado hit lake township and millbury destroying everything in its path. It took out the police station, high school, gas station and about 100 homes and other buildings. My friend lived about 1/4 mile north and watched the tornado in lightning flashes. He called me about 12am I was in shock when he told me about millbury where my wifes 5 sisters are. They were 3 blocks from each other and it went down the middle of them coming within 1000 to 1500' of their homes destroying every house in its path. this is very devastating for the girls since they are VERY emotional and just buried there other sister Friday from a very unexpected death. But Praise GOD everybody is fine. Sad is 5 weren't so lucky.
junglejim is offline   Reply With Quote