Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-17-2010, 05:31 AM   #1
budbon
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10005
Trailer Leveler

Here is the web site for the Andersen Levelers I showed to some of you here in Quartzsite.
http://www.etrailer.com/pc-WC~AM3011.htm

budbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 06:27 AM   #2
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
Was not at the ralley but looked at them on the web you listed. What are they made from? We currently use wood blocks and it would be great to replace the blocks to something simple.
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 10:57 AM   #3
budbon
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10005
It looks like they are an extremely heave molded plastic composite of some sort.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:45 PM   #4
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
The problem with these are you can only lift one axle at a time and that puts a lot of stress on the tire and axle.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 01:49 PM   #5
mojavemike
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9997
My dad made some of those about 20 years ago. He called them banana levelers. He glued and screwed 3/4" plywood together until he got about 8" wide then cut the shape on a band saw. Think I'll make some for my new Monty. Used 5' 2x6 on my Alpenlite.
mojavemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 08:58 AM   #6
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
Can you use 2 on one side at the same time?
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 11:54 AM   #7
budbon
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10005
Great idea mojavemike. I contacted Andersen Manufacturing and they said they have sold thousands of the levelers with no complaints. I have a call into Goodyear to get their advice on blocks less than the whole width of tire.

In the mean time, I can get the specs on these levelers and pass them along for anyone wanting to do the plywood idea. Let me know if this would be helpful.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:42 PM   #8
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I wonder if they put any stress on the wheel or axle? It is only a maximum of 4 inches of lift. Will this really be that bad? If you raise both axles on the same side, would that alleviate any stress? Mudchief brings up a good point if each axle sits at different heights there could be some stress but I don't know how much. I understand when driving and going over speed bumps with each tire or axle, but these are very brief. When using levelers this can be for long periods of time so if someone in the know can comment this would help.

I use the lynx levelers and raise both wheels on the same side when I am leveling my rig. The Lynx levelers are wide enough to contact the full pad of the tire. I would be nervous if only one axle per side was raised especially if I use two or more levelers. Yes, I have been at some pretty uneven side-side sites.

Front to back leveling is easier since the landing legs can be positioned unevenly if the ground is uneven.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 12:59 PM   #9
wingerphil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6570
I guess I'm confused. These things take the place of either boards or Lynx blocks to level one side of the rig correct? Wouldn't you use one under each wheel on the low side? I have never just put a board under one axle to level so don't see why you would do that with these. Am I thinking right or am I having one of those famous "senior moments"?
wingerphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 03:46 PM   #10
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
If you are talking about stackable plastic blocks you can get them at WallMart. That is where I got mine.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 04:44 PM   #11
2 for Him
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7383
Made mine about a year ago, they work great, wife doesn't have to stop me on a dime to keep from rolling off.
OK, now I have to figure out how to post a picture. I'll check the instruction pages.
Try this link.
http://cid-a673f2d3b1d06efb.skydrive...mera%20023.jpg
2 for Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 05:24 PM   #12
mojavemike
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9997
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by budbon

Great idea mojavemike. I contacted Andersen Manufacturing and they said they have sold thousands of the levelers with no complaints. I have a call into Goodyear to get their advice on blocks less than the whole width of tire.

In the mean time, I can get the specs on these levelers and pass them along for anyone wanting to do the plywood idea. Let me know if this would be helpful.

Would like the infomation. If I remember right my dad's were about 6 or more inches high at the high end and about 18 inches long. being that long it may be hard to get between the tires. He used his on a motor home.
Old 01-19-2010, 02:38 AM   #13
rapidrobert
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6534
I used ramp like these to raise wheels to adjust brakes. Had to replace both axles afterward. If your axle rating is close to maximum, I would be very concerned about these. I wore out all four tires in less than 1500 miles after using.
rapidrobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 02:56 AM   #14
budbon
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10005
For the record. I bought two of the levelers. I don't think it a good idea to have each axle much more than a slightly different level.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:22 AM   #15
budbon
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10005
I contacted Goodyear and the represenative suggested using blocks narrower than tire width coud cause a flat spot (?) which may be permanent. She really did not sound like she reallyu knew hat she was talking about but a word to the wise, blocks equal to or greater than tire width. I think I'll create the levelers out of plyeood.
Old 01-19-2010, 02:17 PM   #16
mojavemike
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9997
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rapidrobert

I used ramp like these to raise wheels to adjust brakes. Had to replace both axles afterward. If your axle rating is close to maximum, I would be very concerned about these. I wore out all four tires in less than 1500 miles after using.
I could see that probably happening if you used only one leveler on a tandem axle unit. I would use one for each tire on the side I needed to raise. The old 5' 2x6 works great but if I miss guess how many to use or maybe it only takes a 1x them I have to move the rig again. With the levelers I would have a range from 0-4" or so.

Budbon, let us know how they work.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:58 AM   #17
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
I have a set of them that anyone that wants them are welcome to them, they are narrower than the tread. They are not the levelers I want to use.

IMO the air bags that I made out of discharge hose is the best leveling system I have used. One drawback you have to have some sort of air device to inflate them. There is no trial and error with them, you determine which side is low, you position them in front of your tires drive foward 1 foot, they are 2 foot long that puts you centered on them . add air until level. I have used several different leveling devices, and again this is the best for me. I have been on them for 10 days at a time with no air loss. They are easy to store, they lay flat, and take up very little room. I do not miss the 2x8's, plastic blocks, etc.
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote