Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-28-2009, 07:32 AM   #1
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Remote Starter

Hope all MOC members had a Merry Christmas!

Looking for some input on remote starters. We'll be long timing after retirement in June 2010. DW wants me to have the starter for Christmas, do you use them, are they worth the $cash$ in the warmer climate that we plan on visiting? I like some, don't like to let the truck warm up to long and hate the guy next door that lets his truck run for an 1/2 hour. Looks like they sell for around $300, is that money better used somewhere else?

Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 07:54 AM   #2
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
When I had my F-350 King Ranch I purchase a security system for it and it included the remote starter. I had the delay set so the glow plugs would warm up the plugs on the diesel and the engine would start. I personally think it is a good feature, but you do have to make sure that you get one with a variable delay that even you can program - mine did. If you are in the warmer climates, 15-20 seconds is all that is needed. The test is to watch it start when the temperature changes by several degrees and the vehicle has been sitting there. Knowing when the glow plugs will be ready is the key. I would purchase the same again if the opportunity presented itself.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 08:13 AM   #3
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Our 2008 Chevy 3500HD came equiped with the remote start option. It worked great and would automatically shut off after 10 or 15 minutes. It is in my opinion work the money. I also had a gas burner and had the re-mote start installed and it still is working, I gave my Son the Truck and he is still going, 217,000 miles. Good Luck with your decision. We also have the factory option remote start on Delaine's HHR. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 08:17 AM   #4
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
My son has one on his GMC, and just loves it. He likes the idea of starting the truck from inside the house on those cold mornings. He says it is worth it.

Rich
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 09:17 AM   #5
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
Our 2008 Chevy 3500HD also came with a remote start. I have used it twice just see how it works. Usually the truck is garaged and there is no need for it. So when towing the Monty I forget about it because most of the time we are in warm climate.
For someone spending time in cold climate it could be a useful tool.
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 11:15 AM   #6
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Denni, I have one, OEM, on my '08 Chevy, HOWEVER, the range is not very great. When I was in Alaska, I had one on my Dakota and it was great in the winter, I would set the heater switch to hi and turn on the defroster function so the window would heat and melt the ice or snow withoug scraping. If you do get one, don't skimp and make sure you have good range. It doesn't do a lot of good if the truck won't start until you get right up to it. When in the heat you can have the AC cool down the truck before you get there, great idea, you just need to train yourself to set the environmental controls before you leave the vehicle. Might look into the Viper models with theft detection also and a lighted display you can see when you start it, or, if someone breaks in......We are currently in the mode of "No Heat-No Cold" if you catch my drift, so I don't use mine much anymore.......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 11:17 AM   #7
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
I've got a remote start on my 2007 Chevy 2500HD and I like it! The Chevy does stay inside most of the time but when I go out to the farm or when we head out shopping and it's cold outside, I just hit the button and it starts and warms up the motor so when we get in we just hit the heat and we have it then and there! My unit has an automatic shutdown if I'm not in it in 10 minutes after it is started. I haven't tried it to see if the A/C works to cool the cab down in the summer-- guess I'll have to try that if and when it ever warms up here in Nebraska!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 11:27 AM   #8
GregN
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6790
I have a remote start on my truck. I like it. Nice for the first start up of the day. Hit the button, engine starts. So you can start before walking out the door. The diesels need a little extra warm up on first start to get the oil flowing to the injectors. Plus it also has a turbo timer for letting the turbo cool down after stopping so you don't fry the oil in the turbo by shutting down right after stopping. Another good thing about remote start, if it is hot out you can leave the air cond on and hit the remote and by the time you get to the truck it has cooled if off a bit so you dont have to get in the hot truck...
Old 12-28-2009, 11:31 AM   #9
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Been looking at the Astrostart brand also have the Viper on the short list.
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 11:36 AM   #10
GregN
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6790
I have the viper. It can be programed for start time and cool down time.
Old 12-28-2009, 01:01 PM   #11
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
To properly warm up one of these diesels, the time the truck actually sits still should be very little. You should get in it, start it and let it warm up only a minute or two...then start driving slowly. By this method, the entire drive train get warmed up and not just the engine. Therefore, I can't really see much of an advantage of a remote starter.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 01:13 PM   #12
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I have a question about these. If the engine is already on is the Remote Starter smart enough not to try and restart the engine again?

Another concern, beware not to leave the vehicle idling too long. I've read enough precautions that this is no longer necessary for newer vehicles especially diesels.

This sounds like a great idea, but with all great ideas comes a new sets of concerns and potential problems. I avoid climate that cold, so I don't think I'll ever get one, but I know of others who love theirs.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 01:31 PM   #13
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Art, there are also cities that have signs posted against prolonged idling. Air quality issue. I, too, hate to get up in the morning and the guy in the MH next door has his thing idling for 20-30 minutes. Don't they charge there batteries like we do??????
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 11:34 PM   #14
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
I have had remote starters in every vehicle I've owned since the mid 90's and won't own one without it. The only trouble I've ever had was in one of my S-10 work trucks. There was a conflict between the remote starter and the factory security system that disabled the remote from working. After some finger pointing between the car dealer and the remote installer, it was resolved. Our tow vehicle has an AstroStart that has a delay for the glow plugs. It also allows me to turn on the heated seats and leave the truck running (without the key in the ignition) if I'm running into a store for a second or two. Not only can remote starters be used to warm up a car in winter, they can also be used to cool it down in summer. Mine is set to shut down after 15 minutes, but I seldom wait more than 10 minutes (if that) before operating the truck. I also like to use it when towing to start the tow vehicle up a minute of two before starting out.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 07:16 PM   #15
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rondo

I've got a remote start on my 2007 Chevy 2500HD and I like it! The Chevy does stay inside most of the time but when I go out to the farm or when we head out shopping and it's cold outside, I just hit the button and it starts and warms up the motor so when we get in we just hit the heat and we have it then and there! My unit has an automatic shutdown if I'm not in it in 10 minutes after it is started. I haven't tried it to see if the A/C works to cool the cab down in the summer-- guess I'll have to try that if and when it ever warms up here in Nebraska!
Yes, "Ron's truck has that" feature that I wish I had. But he doesn't have the heated steering wheel that would also be nice in this cold weather we are having--hey it got above fresing today. We have the remote start in our car and it is great--yes even in the summer to cool it down
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 07:51 AM   #16
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art-n-Marge

I have a question about these. If the engine is already on is the Remote Starter smart enough not to try and restart the engine again?

Another concern, beware not to leave the vehicle idling too long. I've read enough precautions that this is no longer necessary for newer vehicles especially diesels.

This sounds like a great idea, but with all great ideas comes a new sets of concerns and potential problems. I avoid climate that cold, so I don't think I'll ever get one, but I know of others who love theirs.
Sorry Art - I missed your questions. Nothing happens if the engine is already running - except on some models like mine, you can then take the key out of the ignition and leave the engine running. The amount of warm up time is programable and some models also offer a 'cool down' where it will let the engine idle for a preset period to cool off the turbo. For anti-theft purposes, you can not drive the vehicle with just the remote running the engine because the steering column remains locked and the engine dies the instant the brake pedal it pushed.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote