Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 04-07-2009, 05:53 AM   #1
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Old Brownie Camera Forgotten In a Foot Locker

Pearl Harbor, 1941

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 07:31 AM   #2
Goodrving
Established Member

M.O.C. #9092
Wayne, that is really great! thank you for posting
Goodrving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 08:34 AM   #3
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818
Once again, Snopes says it isn't so. Pics are authentic, but recently found in a brownie, stored in a footlocker for years and years, is a hoax. On the snopes page, one of the pictures is an aerial shot, how do you suppose a squid on the USS QUAPAW ATF-11O took that one? Also, the QUAPAW ATF-11O was built after the attack on Pearl took place! Her keel being laid on 28 December 1942, launched on 15 May 1943, sponsored by Mrs. N.Lehman, and commissioned on 6 May, 1944, Lt. Comdr. N.H. Castle in command.

However, the pictures are, to say the least, spectacular! A lot of good men died that day, and I have a great respect, and appreciation for every sacrifice made by all the servicemen of WWII, for the ones who made it back as well as those that paid the ultimate price.

My Pop was in for WWII(ETO), Korea, and Nam. Unfortunately for me, he never spoke much about any of it. I know he won a Bronze Star in the "big one", earned his expert marksman rating, but not a whole lot more about his actual service record. He passed away when I was 29, as I was in the process of moving back to town so I could spend more time with him. I imagine that he had some great stories to tell that no one ever heard.
KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 12:40 PM   #4
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I had a long edited reply typed up and I hit a combination of keys, accidentally that caused my computer to re-start, losing everything.

Basically, Truth or Fiction (truthorfiction.com) is not managed and operated by only two people like Snopes is - and Truth or Fiction also states it is false.

Why both of these sites would say that - well, who knows what there research is. You can search on the ship name, and you can search on the subject title of this post and you will come up with a whole lot of information on this and I'll let you make your own intelligent decision as to any authenticity.

The ship, ATF-110, was not reported as being at pearl harbor, but that the brownie was found on that ship in a foot locker. Sailors had sea bags, except for officers, which had, back in those days, wooden foot lockers. A search on wooden navy foot locker will also give you some information. In the link I posted there were no aerial shots that I noticed, but I will admit that there may have been some embellishment in the photo's, or even someone adding or delete a photo they thought was of interest, or non interest.

Also, you may find this link informative, and in support of the "Brownie" theory.

Pearl Harbor Pictures

And I see no aerial photos in this listing.

Happy searching.

Edited: p.s., I did not post the Snopes page, I posted what was sent to me and what I posted does not have aerial photos either.

Anyway, I have said enough on this thread. I hope that you do enjoy the pictures. I actually have a lot of Pearl Harbor pictures on my computer, but that's another story.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:32 PM   #5
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Excellent Wayne! Just the thought of being there while this was all going on gives me goose bumps! My Dad was in the Army Air Corp as well as my Mom! That's where they met during WWII! Before they met Dad was stationed at Natel, Brazil! He had some picture of the planes that they refueled. The US would hop the planes down to Natel and then over to Africa. He had picture of the bomber "Lady B Good" before it headed over to Africa and never made it to it's destination! If you check on this plane it crashed in the Sahara. Apparentlly, ran out of fuel because when they left the ocean and headed into the desert they couldn't tell the difference at night because the sand looked like ocean waves! Anywaay, Dad had plenty of stories even though he never made it to any of the "action" sites! Mom also had some good stories of "Stateside" adventures while in the AAC. Only wish we would have quizzed them out more before they left us!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 01:48 PM   #6
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
We just came back from a two week vacation in Hawaii and of course went to the Arizona memorial--the small museum there had a lot of pictures and other things and just being there gives you goose bumps. Seeing the Arizona down in the water is just unbelievable. It was worth the trip just to see the memorial and then of course the USS Missouri is there now--beginning and end stories. we spent the whole day between the two places. After you see it, the pictures we have always seen are much more meaningful. They are in the process of making a new museum which I am sure will be much bigger and a lot more information in it.
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 04:17 PM   #7
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Those were great pictures of BH thanks.
I dont think Kodak was making the Brownie in 1943 either I think it came out in the 50's
Old 04-08-2009, 02:43 AM   #8
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
On our way home, we stopped at a Flying J for lunch and I saw an old fellow who was on BB43 (USS Tennessee) at Pearl on 12/07/41.

I went over and shook his hand and thanked him. If you see vets from WWII, please stop and take the time to thank them. I think it still means a lot to them and they aren't going to be around for long.

I was thanked for my service at our local car wash once and it meant a lot to me!
ARJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 03:42 AM   #9
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Allan--- I try to thank as many of the veterans I can no matter what war they were in! They deserve all the thanks we can give them for all the sacrifices they endured and even the problems they came home too.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 12:09 PM   #10
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Geesh!
Ok! I'll do the research again.

The first Kodak Brownie camera came out in February 1900.

And that's a fact.
Old 04-08-2009, 03:31 PM   #11
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Waynem

Geesh!
Ok! I'll do the research again.

The first Kodak Brownie camera came out in February 1900.

And that's a fact.
Thats got to be one of those cardboard looking Box cameras that had two viewers and took 620 film,
I was thinking about the little brown plastic one that use 120 film size.
Very interresting that it has been out that long, thanks for the info and update.

TT2