Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-27-2008, 11:45 AM   #1
Marc Morgan
Established Member

M.O.C. #8717
Veggie fuel

I'd love to hear from anyone who has adapted their desiel to run off of veggie oil. I just bought an F-250 and I'd love to save some $$$ around town....maybe even on trips with 5th wheel.

Marc

Marc Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 12:52 PM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Marc Morgan,

There are at least a couple of threads that deal with this issue currently on the MOC. Don't recall anyone who has actually done a conversion but the diesel engine was originally designed to run on peanut oil.

You might do a search and see what shows up.

Also over on the Escapees Forum there are some good discussions on this issue.

By the way.... welcome to the MOC.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 05:55 AM   #3
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Marc - First - as Hamrad said - welcome to the forum. You don't say what year or mileage your new truck is. If under warranty be aware that running veggie oil through it could result in warranty issues on the fuel injection system -- most dealers will allow Bio-diesel but in very limited percentages (5 or 10% mix). That said, local AG schools have several trucks running on bio made from various source materials to include dining hall grease; they are all running and so far no reports of problems.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 03:43 PM   #4
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
My brother owns 8 restaurants in Florida, so he has lots of veggie oil left over from frying. He has converted all of his diesel trucks to use the recycled oil. PM me and I will give you his phone number. He does have to use some diesel with the oil, as it is too thick to start the truck. He uses a 50/50 mix and runs well. If you are in a colder climate you might have trouble running the oil.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 04:50 AM   #5
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Driftwoodgal: Wondering if he is buring it as is, or is he converting it to biodiesel using one of the various products we've seen on shows like Trucks and the like?

Old 08-29-2008, 08:23 AM   #6
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
As long as my truck is under a 100k warranty, I put nothing in it that GM does not say is okay.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 10:31 AM   #7
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
There was a recent article in the local paper about a guy making his own biodiesel. He was getting the used oil from a popular local restuarant and had built whatever was required to process it in his backyard. He said he could make it for about half the current selling price at the time (which was about $4.50). But he did say it was a hot and nasty process and probably not many would be willing to do it.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 08:43 PM   #8
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Spike TV's show 'TRUCKS' has had several episodes where they do just that, take old cooking oil and use a device to make biodiesel. I just googled it and got this web site: . URL ends with the numbers 737. In it they show a device from 'Freedom Fuels America'; basically you add the used cooking oil, some lye, some methonol (racing fuel) and then let the thing run for an hour (or so); you get biodiesel and byproduct of glycerin that you 'can' use and make soap with (way beyond anything I'd be interested in but if you are handy and into that hobby, gives you a source of material!!). The show explains the process and then actually makes a batch of fuel and then runs a Dodge HD on it. When this first came out, a good friend and I asked 3 different fast food places about their used oil, each of them already had a formal contract for a company to pick up and dispose of their oil. Therefore they couldn't give it away to us. However, we did only check 3 places.....

Regardless, Dirtiest Jobs (the tv show) also had an episode on it where a company cleaned grease traps, pits, etc, and collected the used oil/grease. All of their trucks, and the owners own vehicles ran on biodiesel made from the used oil -- again using the same process as described on the Trucks episode, but equipment home made...
Old 08-31-2008, 03:27 PM   #9
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Skypilot,

I am not sure about your questions, but if you want some answers PM me and I will see if my brother can answer your questions. He is running numerous trucks on the processed oil. He has mentioned that he has had to add diesel on his 350 Ford to get it to run correctly. He can not run it on veggie oil only.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 03:46 AM   #10
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Colleen: Your last sentence answered the question -- I have a neighbor that is doing the same thing -- basically running straight veggie oil (yesterday he was filtering peanut oil from the turkey fryers used at the football tailgates on Saturday). He has to start his truck using diesel then switches over to a second tank that contains the veg/peanut oil. Before shutting his truck off he switches back to diesel and lets it run (he says he normally does this about 2 blocks before he gets home) -- that way he has diesel in the lines and pumps for when he starts.

I asked him yesterday why he doesn't 'convert it' to biodiesel and he said he was looking into that but so far he hasn't had any problems. It is an older Dodge PU...mechanical injector pump and all.

To all: Spike TV's Extreme 4X4 had a show on yesterday demonstrating a biodiesel kit from 'Extreme Biodiesel'; same basic thing as the Trucks show. Went to their website and you are looking at over $ 3000 for the basic unit. The model they had on the show is listed at over 8K... they claim that you can make your own biodiesel for 1.20 per gallon -- obviously doesn't include the cost of the equipment though. Would take a lot of biodiesel production to recoup the cost of the equipment.

Thanks.
Old 09-01-2008, 04:36 AM   #11
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
http://www.goldenfuelsystems.com/ This is the new site for greasel.com. They have been around for a while. If I had an older diesel, I might consider it, but bio diesel is about as brave as I intend to get.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote