Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-29-2008, 05:27 AM   #21
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DarMar

So, to those with the new electric models, convince us they are the way to go other than for ease of use which is obvious!
I'm still sitting here trying to figure out why I would want to convince you of anything, and it's just not coming to me.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 05:37 AM   #22
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Rain has never been a problem with our electric unit. it is at a much steeper angle than our old mechanical, so the rain never has a chance to bag the awning. Since it is mounted on our new Big Sky it is about 2 feet higher than our old unit and if you want to do lights on it you need a ladder but since it cannot and should not be tied down I have put the lights elsewhere. As far as it folding over the roof that is a none problem. If it does blow over the roof the frame will just fold up like it does when retracted. Mine has done that twice, I just give it a pull and it drops back into position and if the wind is still too high then I retract it and wait till it calms down a bit. Granted, it is a bit noisy when flapping but so far we haven't broken anything and I don't think we will... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 05:44 AM   #23
TMerrell
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7988
We have the electric awning and love it. We have not had the problems with it bouncing around in light to moderate winds like Bogeyplus. It seems to take the wind about the same as an un-anchored manual model. Although, we us it a lot more than we did the manual model. Like many of you, if the wind even looks like it is going to be a factor, I retract the awning. I tend to put the electric awning out a lot faster after the wind dies down. Mainly because it is so easy. The other difference is my wife RV's sometimes by herself (due to my job) and she put the manual model out once and vowed never again. Now she uses the electric awning all the time. Only disadvantage I can find to the electric awning is if you are the kind of RV'er that likes to put it out, anchor it, and not worry about it (much), the electric awning may not be for you.

Bogeyplus, somebody may have already covered this, but you might want to get the dealer to look at the tension and the shock absorbers. Sounds like either the tension is too loose to start with or the shock absorbers are not dampening the wind correctly.
TMerrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 07:59 AM   #24
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Al and I are interested, and maybe need convincing too. With the facts and your opinions stated about the electric you may help us, if we ever order another rig. We would know how the MOC members have faired with the electric ones, and we know how we have faired with the standard, and we could make a decision on a new rig/awning by what we have learned here.

SO, convince away!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 08:41 AM   #25
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
A&W does recommend putting awning up if wind is20MPH or more.
bob
blarkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 10:20 AM   #26
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mrs. CountryGuy

SO, convince away![/font=Comic Sans MS][/size=3]
Ahh - For some reason the need to "convince" always turns to the need to "argue" on this forum .

Like I said earlier, electric awnings don't fit everyones RV expectations or styles - so take them for what they are worth. They are not patio covers that you can add room additions to or structures to support lights or lanterns, nor are they designed to stay out for the season. They are quick in and out shade when the conditions are suitable. They provide similar automation pleasures to your camping experience like automatic satellite domes, remote control landing gears, and even electric rear stabilizers. It's all a balance between tolerance, comfort, and price.

For clarification - there are two distinctly different brand electric awnings being responded to on this thread - the early Big Sky version, and the current version. Differences in opinions or experiences might be brand based rather than just an overall impressions.

Old 05-29-2008, 12:19 PM   #27
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
We don't argue here do we??

I do learn a lot here, and now know more about electric awnings. At this moment, I have not heard anything that would convince me that it is something I want. YET! But, like ya say Brad, they won't work for everyone. That is one of the great things about RV's, we all have such different experiences and wants and needs. WHahooooo.

I try to keep my mind open to new ideas, and suggestions, and still want to hear more. So, keep your experiences coming folks, and please tell how you feel about electric awnings. Broaden my horizons.

THANKS for each convincing arguement.

Who argues??? No one on MOC!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 02:25 PM   #28
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Brad, glad to see it finally came to you, the sharing of knowledge is one of the main things the MOC is about! As this thread has progressed we all have learned a lot about the pros & cons of each type of awning both manual and electric, that need to be considered. For our road trips, frequent stops of no more than a night or two the electric would be ideal as I first thought. For our seasonal lot where we are set up like a cabin, I at this point am not convinced it would suit my needs. If we had traded our unit in 08 rather than 07 I would have ended up with the slick electric in a heartbeat without much thought. Thanks to this thread I am much more informed and perhaps those who now have them on their rigs are too!
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 02:46 PM   #29
NewFlyLady
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8071
The only thing I would like to add to this is some caution when ordering the electric awning. Don't do what I did. I measured and placed the order not realizing that the dryer vent was right where the new awning needed to be installed. The old awning would have also left holes that needed to be filled. The jest of this story is that they could not install and we had to return the awning with a $350 restocking charge. I rarely extend the manual awning because it is a pain and I get wind at odd times.
NewFlyLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 02:55 PM   #30
eeoski
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8297
Can't say we've had a lot of experience with the pros and cons with regard to bouncing, flapping, scaring the stuffing out of us from the noise, etc. HOWEVER, I can say that opening and closing is much more convenient and the electric awning on Bella (2955RL 10th Anniversary Edition) has already been out as much as our previous two units with manual awnings. I do like the thought of a wind sensor in case I am inside and not paying attention (when I read I can tune out a nuclear detonation). That being said anything electrical/electronic has the increase possibility of failure (usually at the most inconvenient moments). Having a button to just push to deploy or retract the awning is a hands down winner for me with regard to convenience. After that as far as whether or not to go manual or electric (which, by the way can be used manually) is ultimately a personal choice...at this point I'd go with electric if given the choice.

(Argue? How about "Lively discourse" LOL)

Robin
eeoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 11:06 AM   #31
bkirk
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8193
I just spent 11 days in N.C and Myrtle Beach. I love the electric awning for its simplicity, but have mixed feelings about it. I am going to have to take my new 3465 10th back to the dealer for some adjustments. My awning did terrible in Myrtle. I think I need new tension shocks put on mine. The wind blows 5 to 10 mph and my arms bounch all over the place. My awning now has gotten a little twisted and one arm (closest to the door) won't lock back into postion without pulling it back. I would welcome any ideas how to avoid this from the full timers or those who use the 5vers in windy environments. Thanks
bkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 07:47 PM   #32
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bkirk

I just spent 11 days in N.C and Myrtle Beach. I love the electric awning for its simplicity, but have mixed feelings about it. I am going to have to take my new 3465 10th back to the dealer for some adjustments. My awning did terrible in Myrtle. I think I need new tension shocks put on mine. The wind blows 5 to 10 mph and my arms bounch all over the place. My awning now has gotten a little twisted and one arm (closest to the door) won't lock back into postion without pulling it back. I would welcome any ideas how to avoid this from the full timers or those who use the 5vers in windy environments. Thanks
Same thing has happened to our o8' 3400RL awnning!
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 11:51 AM   #33
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
After talking with Chaser awhile back about their new electric awning, I'd really love to have one. However, I priced them and that made me rethink it. One of these days the wind will catch ours and destroy it, the insurance will pay whatever is over deductible and then would be the time to take that step. Meanwhile I just can't justify it although I'll keep trying to come up with justification.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 02:24 PM   #34
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
bkirk, the only thing I can think of trying is to take a couple of bungee cords and hanging a 3 gallon bucket from each end to add more weight to the counter weights. I estimate they weigh about 25lbs each or so. Hang the buckets and add water to fill about half way and try that. I say a three gallon bucket because I think a five gallon may be a bit heavy if it gets near full. I would also use long bungees otherwise you will need a ladder to do all this. The water will add weight and the longer bungees will also act as shocks. I also had a problem with the slide topper on my large slide flapping loudly during high winds. I remedied this by buying a roll of 1 inch nylon webbing from Joann fabrics, sewed loops in both ends and threw the webbing over the length of the slide, I then slipped these loops over the necks of two 2 liter bottles filled with water. This was not very heavy and was enough to dampen the flapping to nothing. It also had the effect to wick the water puddle off the middle too. Good luck... Dave P.S. I just had another thought, this would involve another piece of webbing. Cut it to the length of the awning plus two feet if you tie the loops, use two light bungees and hook one on each end of the webbing, toss the webbing over the awning and use the light bungees to hook it to the scissor arms. Try it and see if it works, I haven't tried it yet but I think it may lessen the flapping..
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 07:38 AM   #35
Ms McGyver
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8531
I like the de-flapper's for the slides. They can really make noise in the middle of the night when the wind whips up off the Chesapeake Bay!

In one of those squalls we lost our Air Conditioner when the awning, adequately staked, guyed, and secured with one of the systems mentioned in this thread, blew over the roof and crashed into the unit. The wind was calm just two minutes before the squall blew through. Heck, in this case, it would have taken us longer to remove the tie downs & guy lines and roll it up than the two minutes we had before it blew over the unit. That experience taught us that it is never safe to leave your awning out when your not at your unit.
Ms McGyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 06:18 AM   #36
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
I can see one disadvantage to the electric, you don't get to wake up in the middle of the night when it is pouring rain or snow and blowing rocks around the parking lot, trying to unfasten tie downs and deflappers so you can roll it up, drenched to the shivering bone!
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 07:26 AM   #37
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
hahaha -yep,

You also don't get to watch your ties let go and the awning fly over the rooftop with hardware following it during an unanticipated wind storm, while you watch from the boat completely helpless. I get a few looks when I pull up with the truck or boat near the camper and put the awning away with the remote.