Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2008, 05:48 PM   #1
barmar
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8385
Dinette Change?

Any ideas on how to go about changing a 'free-standing dinette' to a 'booth dinette'? It's for an '08 3485SA and to accommodate additional sleeping area. Is this an easy change and do you recommend getting the 'booth' configuration from the manufacturer and having a dealer install? Has anybody done this before?
Thanks, B

barmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 06:09 PM   #2
Crossthread
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6460
barmar,Welcome to the forum. When we ordered our 3000RK, We opted for the booth over the dinette. I chose it because of a little more storage,and I think that it was a bit cheaper than the dinette.The two tubular table legs make the table a bit wobbly though. Bill
Crossthread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 06:12 PM   #3
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
There are no outside storage doors associated with the booths on the Montana, so it should be as easy as screwing it down to the floor and mounting the table rail. I would set the table down to the bed position to do the final measurements so you are sure that span is correct.

Is the the booth still an option? I haven't seen it since 2003. I wanted the booth, but got talked out of it back then.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 06:46 PM   #4
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
We have the dinette with chairs. I too need extra storage. We took out 2 of the chairs and put them in storage. Put the other 2 chairs on one side of the table and Bernie is building a bench to go on the now vacant side. The seat will lift up and I can have more (albeit small) storage. But I'll take what I can get.

I've always had booths in my other rigs and thought I'd prefer chairs. Nope, I'll take a booth next time.
Tammy
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 04:10 AM   #5
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Barmar, it doesn't look like it would be a tough job to change them out. Since the booth would go thru the door in pieces, they will fit better. I can understand wanting the extra sleeping space and the storage under the benches will help too.
As a suggestion, if you have space at the stick house for storing the table and chairs, keep them for future swap out. When you change anything in your Montana, keep it so you can either change it back or offer it to the new buyer when selling!
Then there is the people like me that wants one of the new tables, free standing and top swivels and rotates, so you could sell them, hint!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 07:33 AM   #6
barmar
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8385
Thanks to all for your comments/ideas. Does anyone have a good contact number for a Corporate rep so that I can determine avail of a booth dinette and other details---I'm considering an '08 Montana 3485SA at the moment
barmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 09:21 AM   #7
eeoski
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8297
Tammy,

Bernie is going to kill me for this, but we had a booth dinette in the Class A and what I really liked about it is that rather than a "lift top" seat it had a long tray-like drawer in each of the benches that slid out from the end. Nice thing about that is that I didn't have to move the table top, take off the bench cushion, lift the top, get what I wanted, put the top down, replace the bench cushion, and put the table top back. (Okay, I am intrinsically lazy!) Lost a bit of "usable" storage space the trade off for convenience was worth it! (At one point I briefly contemplated converting the benches to lift tops only (Oh yeah, the bench tops did lift as well.), but the convenienced won out. (Dear Bernie, emails to Doug has no effect on my coming up with ideas and sharing them...I chewed through my chain YEARS ago and Doug is afraid of my iron frying pan! )

ANYWAY just some input/thoughts from personal experience! I used the drawers for pot and pan storage. (Heavy things down low so they don't pop me on the head when I open a cabinet door.)

On the same RV behind the couch was a "shelf" with a piano hinged lid. This space was perfect for flat storage items like folding chairs and tables (like t.v. trays) and even pillows/blankets (in vacuum bags) for the fold out bed. If we had any benches in the dinette (we opted for the table and chairs) I'd probably look to do something similar in the back of the benches (presuming they were "boxed" out)...are you feeling the love Bernie!!??

Robin
eeoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 10:11 AM   #8
krtam
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7840
B,
Having had a booth dinette in our TT and now a table and chairs in our Montana, I prefer the table and chairs. I can store most of the things I use to store in the booth dinette in the Montana chair seats, although we are not full time like Tammy and Bernie. As for additional sleeping accomodations, an old fashion inflatable air mattress or the newer portable Aero beds work great on the floor. We have had two 18 year old guys on air mattresses and two guys on the sofa fold out queen size air bed for a couple of weekends. It was wall to wall guys but it worked great. Most of the booth dinettes do not accomodate 6 ft plus guys and are not wide enough for two people. Of course, maybe you do not have to accomodate monster young men. Something to think about anyway.
Sharon
krtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 10:15 AM   #9
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
B, I have to admit that I have a BYOB rule: Bring Your Own Bed!! We even had the sofe bed removed before we took delivery. Have Bernie's office set up under the couch with a wifi printer and all.
Tammy
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 04:29 AM   #10
chieflawdawg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6935
When er bought our Monty (used), the previous owner had removed the booth and added the table and chairs. He gave me the old booth. There are about five (5) pieces (not counting the cushions) that make up the booth. I have it in storage, DW not sure if she may ever want to put it back in. I prefer the table and chairs. It makes it more "homey". Enjoyed the booths in our previous trailers because of small children being able to sleep on it. Now children are bigger and like the pull out sofa better. My 0.02.
chieflawdawg is offline   Reply With Quote