Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-28-2008, 05:07 PM   #1
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Diesel Program Tuners

I have in my possession two new unwrapped program tuners and don't know which one to go with,Super Chip or PPE.
I want a mild tune,no hot rodding just better MPG and a little more power and torque.
I would appreciate any recommendations or opinions.
Thanks, Jack

jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 03:55 AM   #2
waldo238
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7818
I have the Super Chip for mine and have been satisfied with it.
waldo238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 06:37 AM   #3
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
Sorry, mine is Hypertech..
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 10:01 AM   #4
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
The big thing on tuners is what you use them for. If you chip for towing do not go over 60hp and have the Exhaust to go with it . Also the air intake and not K-N. You also will want the gages to watch exhaust temps. My chip only gives me 56 hp and a little bit over 100 lbs of torque. Mine was tuned for towing and fuel mileage when towing and I've been quite satisfied with it. I have had no problems with it at all knock on wood. If you have a chip and hot rod it expect problems as the saying"it cost's to go fast." As others have said and I agree with them,if the truck is under warranty Don't chip it.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 03:46 PM   #5
Clyde n Deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3477
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jjackflash

I have in my possession two new unwrapped program tuners and don't know which one to go with,Super Chip or PPE.
I want a mild tune,no hot rodding just better MPG and a little more power and torque.
Thanks, Jack
You have an engine with 100,000 mile warranty. Any tuner voids the warranty. A couple of my friends tuned DM's, both wish they hadn't now.
Clyde n Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 06:15 PM   #6
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Clyde n Deb

Quote:

Thanks, Jack
You have an engine with 100,000 mile warranty. Any tuner voids the warranty. A couple of my friends tuned DM's, both wish they hadn't now.
Well,I think I'll send both of them back,I don't need the worry and aggravation. It is funny my dealer is the one who sold me the Super Chip,they told me to set it back to stock if I bring it back for any warranty work.
I need to stop going to DieselPlace.com.
Thank everyone for the replies,it really help me make up my mind.
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 01:58 AM   #7
Clyde n Deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3477
Yes, the dealers create their own mess oftentimes. Problem is, what happens if you have failure on a trip and need to go to another dealer? Many tune setups leave a "footprint" in the computer as well; even with it removed, evidence of it's one time application exists. My experience with the DM has been it works so well as setup from the factory, I don't mess with it.
Clyde n Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 02:33 PM   #8
BigAl52
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4977
JJackflash
I have 2 performance boxes in my Dodge. One reprograms the ECM and the other is a box which raises the fuel pressure. I never did notice an increase in fuel mileage with pressure box but I have with the reprogrammer. I can use them both together and I really show large gains in performance. My other thought is I wonder why a guy cannot post a question on this forum without catching all these comments about warrantys. I think most guys already know this after reading all the anti- performance mods to your truck here. There are some of us out here who some might call stupid for doing it but it is our choice and not all of us have the new higher HP trucks. Personally myself I have run everything from big Semi's to pick-ups with turned up motors in them and they do just fine if you use a little common sense. Al
BigAl52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 04:15 PM   #9
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
BigAl Right on! There is no such thing as TOO MUCH POWER. They put a long skinny pedal on the right side in case you can't handle it. JMHO
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 10:20 PM   #10
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:

Thanks, Jack
3 words----DON'T DO IT!!!!
2 word----VOIDS WARRANTY
3 words----FACT NOT OPINION
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 10:45 AM   #11
osofine
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7471
Send a message via AIM to osofine
We have the Superchip programmer. I have had it for a couple of years. When I wnet in to the dealer I would reprogram it to stock. Dealer never knew I changed the programming. Only takes a few minutes. I use economy mode for everyday driving and towing on the highway. I have only used towing mode once. Most of the time if you aren't in a mountainous area you don't need it.
But if you do, it plugs in to your dash and in 2-3 minutes you can reprogram. Haven't tried performance mode yet - but one of these days I'll see if I can drag race with my big old turbo diesel. lol
osofine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 10:47 AM   #12
osofine
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7471
We have the Superchip programmer. I have had it for a couple of years. When I wnet in to the dealer I would reprogram it to stock. Dealer never knew I changed the programming. Only takes a few minutes. I use economy mode for everyday driving and towing on the highway. I have only used towing mode once. Most of the time if you aren't in a mountainous area you don't need it.
But if you do, it plugs in to your dash and in 2-3 minutes you can reprogram. Haven't tried performance mode yet - but one of these days I'll see if I can drag race with my big old turbo diesel. lol
Old 01-31-2008, 11:29 AM   #13
osofine
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7471