Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-21-2021, 04:45 PM   #21
laverdur
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11972
I carry chains for the TV and the Monty. Came close to needing them in MT one May but found an RV park to get me off the road. The snow stopped once I was at reception so I waited and watched the weather channel. After a CB call to the highway to check road conditions on the pass I had ahead of me, a trucker advised that the pass was better than down below. Finally, what little heat was making it through the clouds turned the snow to mush and I was able to get back on the road. If I ever need to put the chains on it will only be to get someplace safe to stop and wait it out.

Old 03-21-2021, 05:20 PM   #22
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I like taking chances when the odds are heavily in my favor. The odds are not in my favor when pulling a camper in the snow. Thanks but I’ll pass.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 06:33 PM   #23
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
Quote:
Originally Posted by laverdur View Post
I carry chains for the TV and the Monty. Came close to needing them in MT one May but found an RV park to get me off the road. The snow stopped once I was at reception so I waited and watched the weather channel. After a CB call to the highway to check road conditions on the pass I had ahead of me, a trucker advised that the pass was better than down below. Finally, what little heat was making it through the clouds turned the snow to mush and I was able to get back on the road. If I ever need to put the chains on it will only be to get someplace safe to stop and wait it out.
We are pretty adventurous and as such often find ourselves on twisty mountain roads where you're lucky to find a pullout, let alone a place to pull over and wait it out. Last year heading for Lassen was a perfect example. Clear sky and dry roads then boom snow and freezing rain.

These are the situations where we're fully prepared to chain up so we can safely get somewhere to wait it out.
R.S.O'Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 07:50 PM   #24
Byron B
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18751
I grew up in Southeastern NM where snow is an every year occurrence. Lived all around the various mountains in NM and Colorado.

For me, if I need chains on my truck, I have no business towing my 5er. If I get hit in a once in a one hundred year storm, I will pull off and worry about it later. I do have 4wd but imho that will simply get you stuck farther out of reach from help!
Byron B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 08:34 PM   #25
Hit The Road
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27454
Speed was the problem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.S.O'Donnell View Post
If you're trying to get out of a tough spot.... chains on the front would be helpful.

If you're just trying to get safely down the road you'll need chains on the rear of the truck and one axle of the trailer.

https://dot.ca.gov/-/media/dot-media...quire-a11y.pdf

To me it's not as much about moving as it is controlling the rig when you do get moving. Without chains on the trailer you'll have no braking and the least little slope can bring the trailer around on you.

This video I posted in the black ice thread is perfect example. Chains would have likely prevented this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?
v=LCYeV9RjyPI

Speed was the problem!!
Hit The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 07:48 AM   #26
steiny93
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17461
To the original poster

Towing and chains, (keeping in mind you are going to be driving less then 30mph). Chains on the rear axle of the pickup will enable you to start and stop the pickup but the 5er can come around. Chains on the front axle of the pickup will help with steering (but you tend to not really need it due to the slow speeds). The trailer chains will be the ones that save you from disaster (trailer coming around).

All great advice about sitting the weather out, not being in the mess is the best option.

I've run chains on duals and singles; they are a beast but they destroy everything they come in contact with. In my area we don't have mountains so the problem is deep snow and ice; we typically don't chain the trailers but if you have hills it's a different issue. I try not to chain the front axle unless required only due to trying to limit the potential for damage (when a chain comes loose).

Summary,
The more axles with chains the more capability and the more potential for damage. Go slow, take your time. Not being in the mess is the easiest approach.
steiny93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 09:02 AM   #27
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiny93 View Post
To the original poster

Towing and chains, (keeping in mind you are going to be driving less then 30mph). Chains on the rear axle of the pickup will enable you to start and stop the pickup but the 5er can come around. Chains on the front axle of the pickup will help with steering (but you tend to not really need it due to the slow speeds). The trailer chains will be the ones that save you from disaster (trailer coming around).

All great advice about sitting the weather out, not being in the mess is the best option.

I've run chains on duals and singles; they are a beast but they destroy everything they come in contact with. In my area we don't have mountains so the problem is deep snow and ice; we typically don't chain the trailers but if you have hills it's a different issue. I try not to chain the front axle unless required only due to trying to limit the potential for damage (when a chain comes loose).

Summary,
The more axles with chains the more capability and the more potential for damage. Go slow, take your time. Not being in the mess is the easiest approach.
I agree 100%. The most I ever had to deal with driving on ice and snow was our five years in Germany while in the Army. We trained regardless of the weather and chaining up was routine... which is probably why I'm more comfortable than many staying on the road. Being full timers we don't have the option of "leaving it home" and there are way too many pretty places to see in the winter. So we carry chains.

Old 03-22-2021, 09:18 AM   #28
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
Another good video on the subject:

Old 03-22-2021, 09:19 AM   #29
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
As Dr Mcoy said to Captain kirk... " DONT DO IT JIM!"
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 09:25 AM   #30
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfb View Post
As Dr Mcoy said to Captain kirk... " DONT DO IT JIM!"
Some of our most memorable moments are from when we took chances.

As Jack Kerouac said:

Old 03-22-2021, 04:10 PM   #31
DanC
Established Member

M.O.C. #27172
I have towed in the snow with my dually. I got 3peak snow tires and if i need to I chain the outside rear dually (I have air bags that help keep the traction on the front wheels)...and I chain the Monty on the back axle...Chaining the trailer is a must. In some states, if you going to attempt a mountain pass during the winter months, state troopers will pull you over to do an equipment check, just as they would a trucker to make sure you have chains for both the towing vehicle and the towed vehicle/RV....
DanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 04:29 PM   #32
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
This is one reason I love this forum! Wealth of good advice/opinions and information...
I don't mind carrying a set of chains that I very seldom need around for the truck, but I'm more reluctant to carry around a set of chains for the trailer that I will most likely NEVER need. And I tend to be one who is usually "over prepared" (is there such a thing?).

I would agree with many who voiced the "sit and wait it out" approach.

But that said, I do realize there could be times where that is not a good option and then having chains on the trailer also would be an absolute must!
Old 03-22-2021, 07:12 PM   #33
bigdawgfinley
Established Member

M.O.C. #22520
I’ve only find it once coming out of Yosemite in December. I put chains on the front wheels on my 4x4 and chains on the rear trailer wheels. It’s all down hill out of Yosemite so I only used the trailer brakes to keep the trailer behaving as they say. No issues and I can’t say if the chains were the answer or laying off the tow vehicle brakes was more important or both
bigdawgfinley is offline   Reply With Quote