Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Old 04-28-2019, 05:24 PM   #21
Caniel
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21610
I suggest taking a tire plug kit for the normal paved road travels. If you are going to travel the rougher dirt roads an additional spare may be handy.

Caniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 12:50 PM   #22
Rod Spohn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24052
Quote:
Originally Posted by StageCoachDriver View Post
I've not made the trip but 2 of my neighbors have. Spare tires were not an issue, but one of the travelers had to buy a couple of 5 gal gas can to make it from fill-up to fill-up. I believe he had a 20 or 24 gal tank.

I have a 36 gal tank and I carry 10 gallons spare - out in the west, off the interstates, gas can be hard to find in stations that can handle the Big Beast monty.
Good advise - I lived in Alaska for 10 years and drove the Hwy 13 times I think. Yes the road is much better now but to thoughts. As mentioned it can be hundreds of miles between services as you get up north. Always toke extra fuel. I stopped at the same place on several trips then unknown to me a fire had ripped through and taken out the place. 5 gallons extra is all I had and made it to the next place on a prayer. Also buying the quality tire you would want can be hard to find and in remote places cost a pretty penny. If I could give advice from my experience it would be to be prepared. If you don't end up needing it you are better off than being stranded or waiting for a few days for the correct tire to be shipped from who knows were. 2 trips out of 13 had issues - not bad odds but taught me to be prepared. My first trip after retirement in a couple years is going back up to Alaska for a summer. I envy your being able to go
Rod Spohn is offline   Reply With Quote