Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2004, 01:24 AM   #1
BandJ
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #93
Going on roof

I have a fear of heights, so the thought of going on the roof of my 5'er is not very positive. But go I must.

I weigh about 165 lbs. Is the roof strong enough for me and are their areas I need to stay clear of.

I am hesitant about using the RV rear ladder so I plan on using my extension ladder. Do you see this as a problem.

Thank you for your information

BandJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 02:01 AM   #2
Montana_31
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #31
The rear ladder is safe and the roof will hold your weight without a problem. There is no place on the roof that is restricted as long as you keep your feet on the rubber surface. Don't go on the roof when it is wet from rain or the morning dew. The only thing I would be concerned about is the extension ladder tearing the rubber surface. As long as the ladder doesn't slide sideways, it should be okay.
Montana_31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 02:50 AM   #3
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
I would put a thick towle between the roof abd the ladder since the trailer will move when You walk and I wouldn't want the ladder to rub the roofing material.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 07:58 AM   #4
skyguy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #940
Send a message via AIM to skyguy
The regular ladder on the back will be fine. I weigh 170, and am up and down all the time (checking vents, and vent caps when we come and go)
skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 08:06 AM   #5
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
Let's just say hubby is over 200 pounds and he uses our ladder all the time without any problems.

But hmmmm... maybe I should research and see if there is a weight limit since this topic has come up. Has me wondering now. I don't want anything happening to him because I'm not going up there!
D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 08:45 AM   #6
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I too am afraid of height and I am a bit overweight (If you call 330# just a bit) and therefore I will not use the Montana's ladder. Getting on and off is a bit hairy and I just don't trust it. Pad the extension ladder rails with the foam pipe insolation. Pick up the foam at any Lowes or Home Depot. The roof itself is plenty strong enough to hold even my weight.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 10:02 AM   #7
BandJ
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #93

Thanks one and all.....
BandJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 04:17 PM   #8
GordonR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1801
Send a message via AIM to GordonR
If anyone knows the weight limit, I'd like to know. 200 was a few years ago for me too! I could ask the dealer when I pick up the Monty. But, I would prefer a more "official" source.

Gordon
GordonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 08:09 PM   #9
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
While searching the archives on another topic I ran across these previous two discussions about the ladders and some problems with them. Very interesting reading as the earlier discussion really didn't show any ladder problems and then in the later discussion, ladder problems started popping up. Here's the links to them:

http://www.forumco.com/montanaadmini...e&TOPIC_ID=568

http://www.forumco.com/montanaadmini...e&TOPIC_ID=994
Old 08-08-2004, 08:28 AM   #10
Treecounter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #162
I went on-the roof of our old rig. It had a slopping front on it not to steep. I was installing a plastic tarp to protect it from the snow. steped on the tarp. Now have two steel plates and twenty screws holding my right foot on. Still go on the roof but go where it doesn't snow in the winter. Treecounter
Treecounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 10:33 AM   #11
Gene Chaltry
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #735
I asked at Keystone about that last year. They told me 250# was the limit.
Gene Chaltry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 11:53 AM   #12
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
Gene Chaltry..... thanks for that info. I'm still not going up on the roof so I guess I better get hubby on a bit of a diet before someone has to go up there to do any maintenance. I think he is right around the weight limit.
Old 08-08-2004, 12:08 PM   #13
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
I weigh about 210 and I go up on the ladder all the time. But I did have to rebuild some of my ladder due to internal rust of the spider bolts. So be careful.

If there is an area to avoid I would suggest avoiding the area between the A/c to the A/c vents in the bedroom. If you should crush this cooling duct it would be hard to straighten out and you might loose cooling to the bedroom. Just a precaution
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 02:01 PM   #14
Montana_462
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #462
Glad the weight limit is 250...lol I'm right there. I go on the roof every once in awhile and haven't had any problems.
Montana_462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 02:12 PM   #15
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
You will have no problem.Use the ladder that came with your Montana.thats what its for.I did hear some one say that do not put your knees down on the roof.Stay on your feet.can`t remember what the reason was.Any one else here of this???And also wear sneakers.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 08:58 AM   #16
Montana_1235
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1235
I weigh 220 and have been on the roof many times. I use the ladder that is on the camper when I have to. When I have the camper home I use a 10 foot extension ladder and lean it against the Montana’s ladder then attach it to the top rung with bungee cords so it can’t slide off. It keeps the ladder from coming in touch with the end cap also so you don’t scratch it. It’s a lot easier going up a ladder that is at an angle than one going straight up. That’s one reason I like to use a regular ladder when I can.

I’ve been on my knees on this camper and others. If I was to guess I’d say you might tear the membrane but I don’t really think it would ever happen. There is one reason you might not want to kneel on the roof. Your knees will turn white from the residue and that is some nasty stuff to get off. I cleaned the roof of my old camper in the driveway. I got tired to trying to wipe up the residue so I hosed it off. Afterward I had a white streak in the driveway that took months to finally disappear. That residue is some nasty stuff!

Bill
Montana_1235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 03:20 AM   #17
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
I go on the roof for maintenance or to clear low hanging branches but, after looking at the way the slides are made, I would never, ever venture out there.
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 04:05 PM   #18
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I'm 200 and have frequently been up the ladder and on the roof with no problem. Those ladder mounts are surprisingly strong, as is the roof. It does flex a little when I walk on it but it's not a problem.

I said 200 but that was two weeks ago. A week ago it was 197 and this week 194. Next week and the one after I hope will be better yet because I'm starting to get hungry. First time in my life I've been on a real diet. About 14 pounds to go.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote