Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-02-2021, 12:45 PM   #1
Dcaillouet

M.O.C. #27086
Smile Tower outlets

Happy New year!
We just purchased our 2021 Montana 3791RD in October and noticed on our last outing that none of the outlets the rise up out the kitchen counter or dining room table will fit a plug🤔 we have tried multiple different plugs to no avail. All
Of the outlets in the walls work fine. Any suggestions? I find it quite strange that all three would be defective therefore I feel like we are doing something wrong but it’s not rocket science plugging a plug in...bu then again maybe it is since we can’t seem to figure it out🤷🏻*♀️

Dcaillouet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 01:36 PM   #2
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
Have you tried slightly filing down an expendable plug that does not fit and see if it fits then? Perhaps a bit of material is blocking the hole and a bit of "abrasion" from repeated insertions will smooth out the defect.

If that doesn't work then some disassembly may be needed. Taking it out of the socket it is in, means pulling the right side panel in the dining room table "cabinet" to get at it. Been there done that but that was because we had an issue with the pop up mechanism itself. The one on the stove counter top I cannot speak to.

China is getting a bad rap for cheaply made... it seems deservedly so. Unfortunately, Keystone et al have to build to a certain price point to maintain sales... this is what happens. Like all things in a free market society... the squeaky wheel gets the grease. If enough people complain about quality control then something will be done about it. Not before.

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
BiggarView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 09:01 PM   #3
lewy64
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26365
I had one that one of the plastic around the outlet opening was switched the wrong way. I believe they installed the round black piece the wrong way so the opening for the polarized plug would not fit right. I had to get a new one because the usb didnt work on it. If you unplug it see if you can take off the black cover over the opening to see if you can put them on the right way. The whole thing just plugs into a normal outlet under the counter or in the kitchen table. BTW the polarized plug has an opening on the left that is bigger than the right. The top one in the picture is put on the wrong way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	popup.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	8172  
Old 01-03-2021, 04:48 AM   #4
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
If you do get it working, be very careful what you plug into it. I had one that melted and started to arc and smoke. Thankfully, my brother in law was sleeping in the living room and smelled it. Nothing plugged into it at the time. It was the one to the left of the stove. I got a replacement from Keystone, but now I tend to not use them for anything beyond a phone charger. Really sucks though because these are the only outlets around my stove where I would typically plug in cooking appliances like an Instapot or griddle.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 08:44 AM   #5
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
@ Lewy64
"electrical plug face put on backwards"
Did you report that to Keystone and send them a picture???
That is a safety code violation they need to be alerted to. That was made wrong at the factory.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 01:47 PM   #6
lewy64
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryles View Post
@ Lewy64
"electrical plug face put on backwards"
Did you report that to Keystone and send them a picture???
That is a safety code violation they need to be alerted to. That was made wrong at the factory.

I reported it to the dealer, not sure if they GOT that it was a safety code violation. I reported the wrong way plug and no operation of the usb. They sent me a replacement.
Old 01-11-2021, 04:56 PM   #7
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMcNeal View Post
If you do get it working, be very careful what you plug into it. I had one that melted and started to arc and smoke. Thankfully, my brother in law was sleeping in the living room and smelled it. Nothing plugged into it at the time. It was the one to the left of the stove. I got a replacement from Keystone, but now I tend to not use them for anything beyond a phone charger. Really sucks though because these are the only outlets around my stove where I would typically plug in cooking appliances like an Instapot or griddle.
DW has been smelling something electrical burning out of the toaster (plugged into the tower outlet by stove). Been unable to find anything with toaster. Now I know where to look. China's finest sXXt. How are they mounted to the counter?
Old 01-11-2021, 05:04 PM   #8
lewy64
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26365
They are screwed on. Take out the top drawer under the outlet. The drawer will release if you push up on the little plastic keeper on one side and push it down on the other side. Then unscrew the unit. it is simply plugged into another outlet below the counter. You can then put a small electrical strip through the hole until you get a replacement from the factory or amazon.
Old 01-13-2021, 07:48 AM   #9
GreG L.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21993
Good pictures on Amazon,
https://www.amazon.com/Kungfuking-So...0549075&sr=8-1
GreG L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 08:40 PM   #10
Bob and Jeannette
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22589
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterdrago View Post
DW has been smelling something electrical burning out of the toaster (plugged into the tower outlet by stove). Been unable to find anything with toaster. Now I know where to look. China's finest sXXt. How are they mounted to the counter?

They are using a different one in the 2021 than came with my 2020.
Old 01-17-2021, 02:07 PM   #11
Rainsmik
Established Member

M.O.C. #20862
Replacing the popup outlet at the dining table

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggarView View Post
Have you tried slightly filing down an expendable plug that does not fit and see if it fits then? Perhaps a bit of material is blocking the hole and a bit of "abrasion" from repeated insertions will smooth out the defect.

If that doesn't work then some disassembly may be needed. Taking it out of the socket it is in, means pulling the right side panel in the dining room table "cabinet" to get at it. Been there done that but that was because we had an issue with the pop up mechanism itself. The one on the stove counter top I cannot speak to.

China is getting a bad rap for cheaply made... it seems deservedly so. Unfortunately, Keystone et al have to build to a certain price point to maintain sales... this is what happens. Like all things in a free market society... the squeaky wheel gets the grease. If enough people complain about quality control then something will be done about it. Not before.

I need to replace my pop up, but in looking at the panel, I do not see any way to replace without damaging the panel and I worry about accessing the plug which is plugged into my outside TV recepttical. Any suggestions or advice?
Rainsmik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 03:06 PM   #12
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
You can gently pry off the panel to access the plug. Another member has a detailed explanation of the process on another thread. Search for popup receptacle to find it.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 02:48 PM   #13
Byron B
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18751
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreG L. View Post
Thanks for that information! On our summer trip, two of our three towers lost their USB power. Just removed one and using my multimeter could find no problems. Solution: just ordered two new ones for about $28 each from Amazon!
Now to tear off a board by the dining table to access one of the two….
Byron B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 05:57 AM   #14
Wisconsin Retiree
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28036
Here are a couple pictures of the inside view of the base of the plugs mounted next to the kitchen table.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20211007_114451994.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	189.9 KB
ID:	10426   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20211007_114441342.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	220.9 KB
ID:	10427  
Old 10-24-2021, 08:36 AM   #15
Byron B
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18751
Thanks. They look identical to the ones on the kitchen countertop.

I notice what looks like some adhesive on the surface where the board was removed….or is it just where a pry bar was used?
Byron B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 07:52 AM   #16
Wisconsin Retiree
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28036
There was a nice looking replacement panel stapled in. When I bought the trailer this tower was broke. Apparently, the dealership must have removed something previously that was glued in??? I opened it up again because the tower had become very loose. I reinstalled with nice dark screw heads that can easily be removed for future issues.

Tags
outlets, plugs