Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC REGIONAL CAMPING CLUBS > North America MOC / Western Region
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 03:31 AM   #21
Jim n Vicki
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9161
OH no, so sad to have this dark cloud hanging over such a fun event. And to have to move in the middle of the week of the real rally is so unfair. Jim and I had so much fun there last year we did not want to leave. We know how much work was put in by the early arrivals - they are the folks that have turned this into such a wonderful event which has grown exponentially each year. I hope a good solution can be found.

Old 01-25-2011, 04:25 AM   #22
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
To say this is a crying shame is an understatement. Having been there a few years back and seeing the comaraderie you folks enjoy it would be a shame NOT to have a similar event in the future. Since most MOC rallies are somewhat shorter than 2 weeks long, why not have a ten day rally with the setup crew arriving 3-4 days early?

I also think that bringing up other camping groups to the Rangers would only serve to make bad feeling between groups and possibly punish other campers, not something I think the MOC would want to do. It's too bad that a few folks had to spoil it for the rest, perhaps these members would like to withdraw their membership from the MOC!

These are just my humble opinions and not meant to interfere with the great folks that set up this rally each year.

I think you folks do a great job each year and wish we could have attended more often.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:59 AM   #23
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Thimk!!

Personally I don't think any one person should call or make waves at this point. The boat has already been rocked. Doing anything at this point is only going to bring more of this into the limelight. Since it was indicated that there were news crews there, and if there were interviews and the information was all favorable, this just may pass.

Look towards next year. Rangers change, times change, things change. If it happens again next year - create a tidal wave.

Time heals!
Old 01-25-2011, 06:40 AM   #24
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49

Each time I call the Yuma Area BLM office, I get a busy signal. Maybe other MOCers are calling it also?

Old 01-25-2011, 07:14 AM   #25
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
I agree with Charlie and Wayne that we should be cautious about making waves with the BLM at this time. Any contact should be for the purpose of soliciting information without naming MOC or otherwise focusing on our group. My understanding is that the BLM ranger has been telling other groups and people to leave who have overstayed their 14 day limit--it is not just limited to MOC, although the large size of our group (and the really neat circle that we form) are inevitably going to draw more attention than miscellaneous rigs scattered around the desert.

In terms of getting BLM to adopt a different position, I would encourage next year's Wagonmaster to delegate to an Assistant Wagonmaster the task of following up with BLM to see if there is any way (such as with a Special Recreational Permit) to allow at least some members of the MOC group to go beyond the 14 day limit, albeit I'm sure there would be a fee associated with such an extended stay.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:10 AM   #26
TheCoachPotatoes
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3847
I feel so bad for the people who set this all up and then were asked to leave so abruptly! We wish to thank all of you for all you did to make this, our first time in Q a great success. I agree with Charlie and JoAnna, that we should be very careful about contacting the BLM and possibly making matters even worse for the MOC. I think JoAnna's suggestions are right-on.

Another thing to think about is, let's not complain about other groups because of what happened to us. That is not a good way to go. This would definately spoil our image here. Let's follow the golden rule here and "Do unto others as we would have them do unto us". Two people who have spoiled our fun, would in turn spoil it for other groups as well. Do we really want to stoop to their level?
Old 01-25-2011, 10:48 AM   #27
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
I agree with not stooping to their level but enforce the rules for all or don't enforce them at all. The MOC rally was the most visible out there and the easiest target. I do believe that polite inquiries to the right people just might solve this problem for next year.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:29 PM   #28
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
Absolutely NCFischers, I agree with you. If a person thinks they can't put together a polite letter then it's best they don't send one. To me, I don't see that sending a letter is detrimental at all.

My email went out this afternoon to the Arizona Land Resource Council asking that they consider recommending to the BLM to suspend the 14 day dispersed camping limit on public grounds, only in the Yuma District, and only for the month of January.

That's part of the beauty of this forum. By signing up and being a MOC member here, we pledge that we all can state our opinions and we can agree to disagree.

Old 01-25-2011, 02:36 PM   #29
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Carl & Susan, "Thank You" for your effort in helping set this area up. This is our first trip and it has been a blast so far and we enjoyed your company and are said you had to leave. It is a shame that those two people have spoiled it for others. We had already made plans for next year, sure hope there is a next year.
1200 watts of Solar
Old 01-25-2011, 05:17 PM   #30
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We've never experienced any problem at Q but I guess that's because we've always understood the 14-day rule and never tried to stay past that limit. I don't advocate anyone complaining to the people that oversee the BLM land about the rules. It's up to us to abide by the rules. If anyone wants to stay on BLM land longer than 14 days at a time, go down to the BLM land south of Why, AZ. They're a lot more relaxed down there -- not too many people go there but there are a few.

Orv
Old 01-26-2011, 02:30 AM   #31
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I agree with a couple others. let it go, walk away, let it fade away. It will be forgotten by next year do not keep it alive/ let it die.
Old 01-26-2011, 03:29 PM   #32
jretz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6321
Robbie and Alice, great job!! We also want to thank all who arrived early to set things up. This event couldn't have been the success it was without y'all efforts. It is a shame a few have to ruin it for the rest of us.
Old 01-27-2011, 02:22 PM   #33
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
I have been "hyping" the circling at Q for several years to my wife and she is just getting excited about it.
Now this.
What the **** is wrong with people?
I feel almost like crying, knowing that it won't be the same even if it happens again.
What a major bummer.
Larry
Old 01-27-2011, 04:28 PM   #34
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Another suggestion would be for the "Advance Crew" to arrive, stay at a park in town, get the site set up, then move to the site on the day of arrival, thus allowing for a full two week stay. Please don't shoot this messenger, I am just trying to offer a possible solution to probably the second biggest and best rally for the MOC. Also, perhaps a small "rally fee" to offset their costs for the rv park. I just hate to see you folks give up all the fun!!!!
Old 01-28-2011, 01:38 AM   #35
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Don't worry, this problem will work itself out and the Circling of the Montana's will continue to be a great event. We have had great Wagon Masters in the past and have great Wagon Masters (Jack & Dave) for next year. If we can not get enough real estate for a circle there is always enough for rows.

Phil, you have a good idea but, to secure the space required it takes several rigs to be on site to keep others from setting up their camps in our area. If we roped it off and left to come back later someone would take down the ropes and take over our site.
Old 01-28-2011, 02:21 AM   #36
scott
Established Member

M.O.C. #10200
I haven’t been to a Q yet, so bear with me if this is dumb. But based on all I’m reading it would seem to me that when we leave, some other group would love to have the real estate we’re vacating. What if we promised some other group that they could have our spot if we work together to stake out the spot and protect it together in advance. Hence they would have guard duty the two weeks before we move in, so we could stay the full two weeks. Or alternatively, we take the spot they vacate and we do guard duty for them before they move in. Are there other groups that do like we do? Would they work with us like this? Just a thought.

Scott
Old 01-28-2011, 02:43 AM   #37
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Scott, you are thinking but it does not work that way around here. This is a very large desert area and there are about 1 million (give or take a few) RV's that come down here for the winter. They park where ever they want on BLM land for 14 days. We have to look for a 420 + sq. ft. area that is clear and usable to mark out our circle. Most groups are not our size and most groups do not get the same site year after year. Thus the reason for an advance team to come down early before the crowds start showing up and parking in the areas that would accommodate our circle. In the past it has not been a problem for our advance team, just this year a couple of our members made waves with the Rangers boss so we have been watched carefully and our advance team was required to leave before our gathering was over.
Old 01-28-2011, 02:46 AM   #38
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The bigger rock you throw in the water...The higher the wave...
Old 01-28-2011, 11:29 AM   #39
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We have only been to Q once but found it a very enjoyable time with our fellow moc'ers. We would have arrived this year two days prior to "the event" and would be leaving tomorrow, if we had not had to cancel this year.

I will never understand how some folks get their jollies from screwing up things for others. I have no idea who they are but theirs must be a sad existence.
Closed Thread