Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Brrr it's cold outside! Winter Camping
Click Here to Login

Old 12-13-2010, 09:19 AM   #1
nosticks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10378
Understanding Florida's Weather Patterns

You see, Florida is a peninsula, but all of the weather courses you can take will not satisfactorily explain the climatological changes that take place here. You have to live here year round to discover the patterns.

Along about November, when the snow falls up north, there is a mass exodus of people heading south. So many that they form a vacuum behind their vehicles. This vacuum is filled with the cold northern air and is transported to Florida. This is followed by a slight bump upward in temperature when grandma and grandpa begin the ritual to return north to see the grand kids around Thanksgiving then on to Christmas. By the time they return the air temperature has stabilized with a mixture of warn and cool air.

Along about April, everyone that came down returns home, as if some mysterious body clock says time to migrate. Again, enter the vacuum created behind their rigs during the mass exodus. This vacuum then fills with the warm southern Caribbean air, thus replacing the cool northern air that was here for the last four months. This air temperature shift creates a boundary layer that begins our rainy season.

I hope this helps explain our weather. I tried to explain this to one of our local TV weather anchors a while back. He nearly collapsed from laughter.

nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 01:42 PM   #2
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
By george Dave I think you hit it right on the head. But my DW said I will fall for anything!!!.
bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 02:45 PM   #3
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
Excellent explanation. I copied it and am sending it to all my relatives in Florida. That way they can really blame me when we show up in 3 weeks.
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 01:45 AM   #4
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by nosticks

You see, Florida is a peninsula, but all of the weather courses you can take will not satisfactorily explain the climatological changes that take place here. You have to live here year round to discover the patterns.

Along about November, when the snow falls up north, there is a mass exodus of people heading south. So many that they form a vacuum behind their vehicles. This vacuum is filled with the cold northern air and is transported to Florida. This is followed by a slight bump upward in temperature when grandma and grandpa begin the ritual to return north to see the grand kids around Thanksgiving then on to Christmas. By the time they return the air temperature has stabilized with a mixture of warn and cool air.

Along about April, everyone that came down returns home, as if some mysterious body clock says time to migrate. Again, enter the vacuum created behind their rigs during the mass exodus. This vacuum then fills with the warm southern Caribbean air, thus replacing the cool northern air that was here for the last four months. This air temperature shift creates a boundary layer that begins our rainy season.

I hope this helps explain our weather. I tried to explain this to one of our local TV weather anchors a while back. He nearly collapsed from laughter.
You might send this to the weather channel...they need all the help they can get. This morning one of their "on-the-spot" guys was quoting weather forcasting off a local newspaper he was holding in front of himself...real class act.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 12:21 PM   #5
FLtravelers
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11152
We used to be year-round Floridians until I retired last year. Now we fly with the last batch of snowbirds.

I completely agree with your observation. I took it one step farther. I always accused the snowbirds of leaving the door open. If they had shut the door behind them, that cold draft wouldn't make its way down.
FLtravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 01:57 PM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
And we blame it all on the Canadians who fail to shut the door behind them when they leave..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 05:00 PM   #7
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
As I always say, happiness is a Canadian headed north with a New Yorker under each arm. OOPS! DW is a Canadian!!
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 05:27 PM   #8
FLtravelers
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11152
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by washley1

As I always say, happiness is a Canadian headed north with a New Yorker under each arm. OOPS! DW is a Canadian!!
Spoken like a Floridian.
FLtravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 02:04 PM   #9
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
Yea but I think after the winter theyve had up there they may be moving back down. Maybe it'll help the realestate.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 01:22 PM   #10
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I think you have it all wrong. It's not the weather thats the problem. It's the odd numbered interstates, they all have a south bound lane.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 12:27 PM   #11
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
It is starting to look like spring here in Englewood Florida.Plants are starting to bloom
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 01:15 PM   #12
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Go on Ken rub it in. I was talking to a guy in Montana last week it was 2 degrees, it had been -20 the first at the week.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote