Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > Archived - MOC WEB SITE & COMPUTER TECH HELP > Archived MOC Geek Squad
Click Here to Login

Old 11-28-2008, 03:40 PM   #1
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Needed: web host, free???

OKKK, all my geeky internet friends , I need suggestions

I have been using geocities, free, for my web pages. For the last 3 weeks I have not been able to access them, in part, because I cannot do HTML.

I have been using the PageBuilder thing. It is a "what you see is what you get" type of page builder, and right now, it is non-functional.

I have a lot of pages, I feel very ill. SIGHH

Anyway, it looks like I am gonna need to find a new place for my web pages.

SOOO, who do you use, why?? cost?? ease of buiding pages for someone who cannot do HTML, and does not want to learn??

HELP!!!

Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 04:32 PM   #2
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
I have not tried using it, but you can get free web sites at Google. Google.com/sites
You can also create another free site at Geocities/yahoo. I think MSN also allowed free web space but no longer have e-mail there to try.
Bob
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 04:39 PM   #3
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Yes, Google has spaces, but, so far, I have not been impressed with the free builder, I could not figure out how to link an email addy there. SIGHHH

I already have two geocities accounts, and cannot access the web pages for either. Maybe if I pay??? SIGHHH

MSN, I could look there, have not, thanks,

MORE OPTIONS??? Bring em on!!

Thanks Carol
Old 11-28-2008, 06:14 PM   #4
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
I currently use Homestead.com for web services. (santaappearances.com) I pay for it but I also have a domain name I pay for.
D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 02:52 AM   #5
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Carol,
Try this first http://nvu.com/ (free) similar build WYSIWYG should allow view/edit of current pages

Does your local copy, before upload, look normal?

Are you saying you can't post changes to Geocities? Login fails? Your pages are still functioning...
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 03:34 AM   #6
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Charles

I will have a look at that site, thanks!!

I use PageBuilder at geocities to build my pages, you have to go to geocities, follow the create links, etc etc etc. There is a spot where you have to load PageBuilder, and it will NOT load, it has been well over 3 weeks and it will not load. It will not load on two computers (one a Vista and one an XP), they have some suggestions, download current java and enable in your internet tools. Been there, done that. Still nada. I am gettin rather sick of looking at the RED X OF DEATH. SIGH

I read some suggestions to switch to something other than IE and you would be able to access your pages. Well, I did that on the XP computer one time, and yes, leave it to ole Carol, the Firefox/foxfire????? (or whatever that is called) crashed and could not be repaired, so it was ditched. Gotta say, that makes me a bit reluctant to try it on the new computer, eh???

This AM, after uncounted numbers of pleading and whiny emails and more begging and please this and please that, I finally got something more back from geocities via email, other than the normal canned responses. Unreal!

I have well over 80 pages I have built for the local historical society and family researchers, Bible records, they are on a different email address, therefore a different account. If I end up paying, I will have to pay twice I suppose. SIGHHH

Yes, my pages will pop up if you attempt to load.

I am cheap, we are retarded, errr, retired. So, I have been loving this free thingy. Now, it looks like my freebie days at geocities are over???

I have been doing some snooping, looking for a fix, something buried in a mountain of pages and help screens at yahoo and geocities, finally found this last night, which I have NOT verified via a phone call of my own (that is the disclaimer, don't cha know)

"Ok, so I called up Yahoo to figure out what was going on. This may be old news to everyone here, but I never got the e-mail, so maybe others didn't get it, either.

Most of the problems can be attributable to one thing: Geocities is going away. No more logging in at www.geocities.com.

I was told to log in at smallbusiness.yahoo.com (no www) and everything would be fine. Sure enough, there it was.

So, if any of you, like me, didn't get the news bulletin about all of this, log in through the new site and, hopefully, everything will be ok."

I appreciate the suggestions, and will investigate any and all suggestions on this problem.

Will up the anty, if you pay for web space, who do you use, how much can I expect to toss out of the checkbook each month and do you have a WYSIWYG type of page builder available??

Keep the help coming, you all know I need it! HAHA

THANKS
Old 11-29-2008, 03:58 AM   #7
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Carol,
Try using First Page 2000 the free edition. WYSIWYG HTML editor. Then just put your pages on the web.

For free hosting I use FINITESITE.COM, but it does not have any build it yourself tools. However, there are no advertisements. Your page is your page. I just have a placeholder there that I have not updated since 2002. http://www.finitesite.com/waynem . Some of the links are real old, so if they are not working I'll fix them when I get a ROUND TUIT.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 05:52 AM   #8
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Carol, I hate to admit this, but I use Netscape 7.1 and its composer to create web pages and then upload them to Geocities. Never liked Geo pagebuilder. If its just the problem with pagebuilder, then look at other free programs that let you build your web page on your computer, save it and then upload it to Geocities (unless you want to move away from them. I'll go test and see if I can load page builder and let you know with an edit to this post.
Bob

EDIT: Worked for me, but had 2 problems both were popup blockers stopping it. Once I removed the popup blockers for that sites and tried again it worked fine. First was the geocities popup, second was pagebuilder popup. Hope this helps.
Old 11-29-2008, 07:51 AM   #9
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Again, thanks for the feedback.

Trouble, rogue, is that I cannot load PageBuilder, period!

Appreciate all the hints and this discussion, keep em coming!
Old 11-29-2008, 08:28 AM   #10
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
OK Carol, Read the whole message first.

With IE, first I went to "my.yahoo.com", and logged in. Then found "manage account".
In "Account Information" page right side clicked on "Edit your homepage".
In GeoCities Control Panel, clicked on "Create and update"
Under "Basic Tools" clicked on "Yahoo PageBuilder"
This brought me to the launch Page Builder site
http://geocities.yahoo.com/v/pb.html
Clicked on launch and got the "notice information bar" dialog box.
Selected allow pop-ups temporarily. and clicked launch again. This opened a new window
with the new "notice information bar" dialog box.
Again I selected allow temporary pop-ups, and that launched pagebuilder in yet another new window.

Do this first ---
Now I'd suggest first going to IE tools and select "internet options", go to the "general tab" and under "Browsing History" on the general tab, select "Delete". Then close IE and restart it. That will remove all the history and any chance there may be something in the Cache that could fowl up anything. Then start the above sequence. If that does not get you into pagebuilder, I'm at a loss for additional suggestions.
Bob
Old 11-29-2008, 08:57 AM   #11
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Okeyyy dokey Bob, I will give it another shot, have done that several times, the dumping of temp pages, man, one time I even dumped all the cookies, what a pain in the you know whatski that is. SIGHH

I am not getting any "notice information bar"

In fact, that web URL, that is the one where I get the RED X OF DEATH!

Why do I have this feeling it is some buried setting on my computer?? SIGHHHH

Well, folks, we surely are trying here, and I surely do appreciate it!
Old 11-29-2008, 09:47 AM   #12
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Carol,
One more thing to check, thou you probably have checked this. IE internet tools, "Advanced Tab",
scroll down to Jave. I have one box, and its checked. It says "Use JRE 1.6.0_05 for (requires restart)"
If you want to compare settings, or anything else, send me a MP and I'll call and we can go over it n the phone.
My IE is 7.0.5730.11 and I am on XP home.
Bob
Old 11-29-2008, 10:04 AM   #13
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
yaaaa, did that one too!, I actually have a version that states it is "7" on the end of that row of numbers.

SIGHH

thank you so much for such a kind offer and the time you spent looking at this for me!
Old 11-29-2008, 12:02 PM   #14
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Carol, You and Al comeon down here and I'll have you doing HTML in no time at all. At first I was very intimidated with HTML and kinda liked WYSIWYG. It was just a matter of time when I realized that my creativity was totally hampered. It was at that time I dropped all WYSIWYG sites and went to pure HTML. Within 6 months I started my own business of web site design. Today I wouldn't consider WYSIWYG but than again I don't have to.

There are a number of places where you can get your own domain name and hosting at very cheap monthly or yearly rates..

GoDaddy
Register.com

I haven't checked but they may also allow WYSIWYG.

I can also show you how to Copy and Paste each of your current pages to a new website.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 12:40 PM   #15
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Glenn

That is a fab offer!

If I did not have to be here for Christmas?? But alas.

I know I could learn it, well, I think I could learn it.

BUT, I DON'T WANNA!!

I am trying to save the brain cells I have left for research and putting together all these books! ARGHHHHH.

Ya all laughing yet at silly ole Carol??

Oh, by the way, Al says I don't do learning curve time very graciously. I have NO idea what he is talking about!
Old 11-29-2008, 12:43 PM   #16
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
I agree with Glenn; HTML may seem intimidating but it really isn’t hard at all to learn. In fact I set up our church web site using note pad as a text editor.

I couldn’t be happier than doing the HTML myself. I’m not a great expert but I think if you were to try it you would find that it makes things a lot easier. Do a Google search for "Learning HTML" and see what happens.

I also have our church web site hosted with 1 and 1. Check them out!

Old 11-29-2008, 01:10 PM   #17
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
As the web site says, "The best things in life are free."

W3Schools

All my stuff has been done with the HTML language.

Old 11-29-2008, 01:59 PM   #18
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Not sure if I should thank you Wayne or not??

I looked at this page, down the left column alone, and my eyes glazed over, and I think I remember why I have not gone to HTML school

WHAT IS ALL THAT STUFF ANYWAY???

Yikes, just under HTML there is: HTML, XHTML, CSS, and TCP/IP

You guys are kidding right??

And, yes, I am looking at each and everything you geeky internet friends are posting here, and saving them all in my Favorites, so I can go back and review, review, review.

So, even if what you share with me scares the beejeebies out of me, I thank you, again and again. Sometimes it is good to review what you DON'T want to do! HAHA

Wow, I am really seeing a different and wide world out there, WHO KNEW???

And to think I have managed since 1981 to not learn this stuff. Not sure if I should dance or cry!
Old 11-29-2008, 02:16 PM   #19
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Right click on any web page and then left click on “view source.” That is where you will find the coding. You can study the source code on web pages and that will also be a good teacher. Don’t let it intimidate you. Start strictly with a simple html coding. You don’t have to know how to write all of the other scripts to set up a basic web page.

On Edit: I bought one book that I still use a lot today whenever I need information. The name of it is “Sam’s teach yourself HTML in 24 hours.” I bought it at an office supply store and it covers most all of the basic html with an introductory to java script. A book like that could be your best friend!

Old 11-30-2008, 06:11 AM   #20
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Carol,
The very first link is "Learn HTML," in the left column. Just browse through it, create some sample pages using their editor, play around, and as Bill-N-Donna said, plagiarize. You view the source of a web page and if you like something there you apply it to your web page with your information, so you really are not plagiarizing, just copying the code, which is free code.

Here is some fun stuff to play with in Web pages: Dynamic Drive Web Site

Edited: Corrected link. I did not have the h t t p:// in front of the link. That makes the link jump to the host system and added what it thinks is the link on the end.
THANKS!